Is the north of England better to live in than the South? Watch

WhiteWalker
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am just curious. I live in the south of England and the people are so much different than up north. I have noticed that people up north are generally more friendly & welcoming than here in the south. I think the friendliness of the people is a huge plus when it comes to living somewhere.

Anyway, your opinions on this?
Platinum Mech
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well, I've never lived in the south of England, only visited it, so I can't really judge. However, I do really like living up north - I think it's got a lot of the good stuff that you can enjoy down south, plus it's generally less crowded and cheaper to live in and probably has generally more down-to-earth people.
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yay for northern people. Come here, where it's cheaper to live,it's not as crowded, the wages are about the same, and almost every one is nice.

Actually, what am I saying? I'm giving away our secrets!
nicatre
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Bar the different expenses regarding living I haven't noticed a particular difference in my travels.
Mallory
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by de_monies)
Yay for northern people. Come here, where it's cheaper to live,it's not as crowded, the wages are about the same, and almost every one is nice.

Actually, what am I saying? I'm giving away our secrets!
yeah , when I was young I used to live up north , and seriously the houses up there where huge

when we moved down south, my house in considerably smaller
also northern people are little bit more open and friendlier
mddub39
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends whether you want to live somewhere grim, but cheap or somewhere nice but more cost worthy. I can safely say I'd rather live in Bournemouth than somewhere like Birmingham, for example.
username912610
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mddub39)
Depends whether you want to live somewhere grim, but cheap or somewhere nice but more cost worthy. I can safely say I'd rather live in Bournemouth than somewhere like Birmingham, for example.
Lol Birmingham isn't that bad.
rachiriot
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think either north or south is friendlier, wherever you go, there are going to be nice people, there is going to be... not so nice people
Tufto
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kruz)
Lol Birmingham isn't that bad.
Depends on where you go, like most cities. Not the nicest place in the world, but it isn't Hull or Worcester. But anyway, it's not northern or southern .
cl_steele
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
its cheaper but personally i like the home counties more...
Infinity_4652
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i go to college in east london.

hopefully, for uni i go somewhere like southampton or exeter.
i prefer the small cities in the south of england where the weather is amazing and life is peaceful.

anyone agree??
username242140
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't really know about living in te south but people don't talk to each other. I find how silent the tube is a bit creepy really. Up north people will talk to total strangers on the train.
People say hello in the street too. Mainly in the countryside so I dunno if country folk do in the south too. I moved from the country to go to uni in the city and people talk less here but then there are thousands more people and you couldn't possibly say hello to everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bhumbauze
Badges: 15
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Beckyweck)
Up north people will talk to total strangers on the train.
Yes, but they're usually junkies or alcoholics. The topics of conversation are somewhat limited.
emilypsychology
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I love living in the North and I will be sad to move away to university. I just think the atmosphere here is nice, when I walk around the local area it's always nice that people you don't even know will still greet you good morning/good afternoon to this day

I've found that people tend to have many misconceptions of the North as a rough area to live, but I don't understand that as it's like everywhere has it's own rough parts but the majority is lovely. As much as I love the South of England from what I've seen when I've been on my travels, for the 'friendly' factor I would prefer to be in the North
littleeggy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There are quite a lot of Northerners in London, so you get the best of both worlds. I'm an 'Eastender' and personally I love living and working in London. I couldn't imagine settling down in another city. I'm moving to Exeter soon for 5 years to start my medical degree (I'm a mature student) I'm sure it'll be gorgeous and lovely - everyone says so! but I can't really see myself wanting to be in a smaller city than london. The buzz of living and especially working in the city is immense!
Petyr24
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Been up North( manchester), don't really notice any difference in friendliness of people tbh. The south isn't filled with rude people like many up north seem to think.
Habeas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
username242140
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bhumbauze)
Yes, but they're usually junkies or alcoholics. The topics of conversation are somewhat limited.
Not always. xD Though usually weird. I once had an old lady explain the ins and outs of procration to me but danced around actually using the words like vagina. It was hilarious.

There was a more normal one where a woman on a long train journey basically wanted to get to know me because she was bored.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mddub39)
Birmingham is in the midlands and even then is probably more south than north....
mollyx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I find that, i live in the South, but the people here don't seem that friendly, where as whenever i go up North, their so different and nicer :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (121)
69.14%
No I haven't decided yet (34)
19.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
11.43%

Watched Threads