The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Poetry Relationships 23rd May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by stardude8
Can anyone find a link which shows the poems which will not come up on higher tier? I was previously able to find it but now I cannot.

Saywhatyoumean-Yeah Born Yesterday is quite a simple poem, yet unusual, anyone got any ideas for comparison?

ryanroks1 It is probably best to have at least some notes on all the poems, even if you do end up doing more for some of them, just as a guarantee.

Leonardo Kay-a very vague question which is difficult to tell based on the info provided. We would also need to know your ca score.

Mr Bruff has confirmed that the following poems will not come on higher tier:
Brothers, Sister Maude and In Paris With You.
The link is teacher only accessible.
Reply 21
Original post by Mad.About.School
I'm doing this exam and I know nothing. Such a bad idea to start revising late but oh well. Glad the exploring modern texts exam is over!!

Me too, Mr Bruff it :wink:
Personally I think comparing any poem with nettles hours sonnet 116 and 43 are the easiest as they all have many points to do with language structure and form ESP praise song for my mother :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by Maryam_marzbar
Personally I think comparing any poem with nettles hours sonnet 116 and 43 are the easiest as they all have many points to do with language structure and form ESP praise song for my mother :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed. Some poems have so many devices and points that they could be compared to any poem. I personally don't find hour the easiest, but nettles, the sonnets, and To His Coy Mistress I find I have a lot of points for.
Can anyone find a link which shows the poems which will not come up on higher tier? I was previously able to find it but now I cannot.

Saywhatyoumean-Yeah Born Yesterday is quite a simple poem, yet unusual, anyone got any ideas for comparison?

ryanroks1 It is probably best to have at least some notes on all the poems, even if you do end up doing more for some of them, just as a guarantee.

Leonardo Kay-a very vague question which is difficult to tell based on the info provided. We would also need to know your ca score.

Surprisingly, I haven't been given my score for my ca :l I'll have to ask again tomorrow..I had a new teacher right after the ca exam
Original post by cleveradam

Edit: The following poems will deffinately not come up in the higher tier - Sister Maude, Brothers and In Paris With You.

Why do you think that Brothers, Sister Maude and In paris with you won't come up ??
Reply 26
Original post by Perspective_
Why do you think that Brothers, Sister Maude and In paris with you won't come up ??

[video="youtube;EjObjRSpFMw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjObjRSpFMw[/video]
Reply 27

I would say Born Yesterday makes an excellent comparison with To His Coy Mistress, they are both about defying how society wishes you to behave and living for yourself. Plus they both are structured in an argumentative form, with solutions at the end which has a lot of tension built up towards it.

Can anybody help me with Ghazal? I find it such a difficult poem to grasp, I'm trying to delve into it's true meaning but every time I read it all I see is a woman who is pining at a man to pursue her...
Also Hour, it's such a complicated poem with so much ambiguity, it would be refreshing to see some new insight into the meaning of this poem :biggrin:
Reply 28
Original post by cleveradam
[video="youtube;EjObjRSpFMw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjObjRSpFMw[/video]

Many thanks.:smile:
Reply 29
Original post by NatashaG
I would say Born Yesterday makes an excellent comparison with To His Coy Mistress, they are both about defying how society wishes you to behave and living for yourself. Plus they both are structured in an argumentative form, with solutions at the end which has a lot of tension built up towards it.

Can anybody help me with Ghazal? I find it such a difficult poem to grasp, I'm trying to delve into it's true meaning but every time I read it all I see is a woman who is pining at a man to pursue her...
Also Hour, it's such a complicated poem with so much ambiguity, it would be refreshing to see some new insight into the meaning of this poem :biggrin:

I'll try to help with Ghazal. It shows not only the positives of love, but the negatives of love too. It can also be interpreted religiously, for example why has Khalvati capitalised the f on 'Friend' in the penultimate stanza?

You can talk about the form itself, how this makes it have couplets which symbolise the persona's desired togetherness with the person she targets. Then you also have the nature metaphor.

'iron fist ..velvet glove' is interesting to consider. She wants her lover to be strong and solid 'iron', but also soft and affectionate, 'velvet glove'. It also has a certain sexual connotation which may suggest the importance of that in their relationship.

So although the poem is just about a woman trying to get a man, you can also look at what exactly she thinks a good relationship would be, and also the alternative meaning of the poem in relation to a divine being.
For last minute revision what do you think I should do?
And do you think it will definitely be out of those four poems: to his coy mistress, ghazal, born yesterday and sonnet 114?
Reply 31
Original post by Anon12345678
And do you think it will definitely be out of those four poems: to his coy mistress, ghazal, born yesterday and sonnet 114?

You cannot guarantee that, and so it is worth revising all the poems, so that you can use them to compare at least, and they might even come up.

For last minute revision, I would make sure you have a couple of discussion points for each poem, such as one or two language points(metaphors, the different meanings of a word-on one hand it could mean this, but on the other hand...'), and some form and structure points(is it a sonnet, is it written in couplets, enjambment and what effect it has), and write them down on a piece of paper and try to learn them. If you have time, try making up your own title and writing a practice essay.
To compare to Born Yesterday

To his coy Mistress- Realistic, direct, matter of fact approach
Sonnet 116- Outward beauty is not important
Nettles- looking after a child
Original post by Anon12345678

I'm in the same boat, all I'm doing is understanding the general drift with alternative explanations and writing comparison plans for possible essay questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
I guess those three poems would be really good to compare with Born Yesterday.

Have you got any interesting points for Born Yesterday? When I look through it, there's barely anything I notice apart from the five adjectives at the end.
I have found Mr Bruff's videos and http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/english_literature/poetryrelationships/ very useful! :smile:

I have gone through all 15 and reprinted and annotated them. Now I'm going into specifics of these ones that haven't come up:

Ghazal
To His Coy Mistress
Born Yesterday
Sonnet 116

But I need help as to what to compare them to to have the maximum points to say about form and structure as well as meaning. Also I was thinking in the exam would you be able to rip the book up to have both poems in front of you it seems annoying to keep flicking through?
i have a feeling sonnet 116 will come up , so im comparing it to hour - but im going through the poems that havnt come up and comparing them to the others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a shame hour and harmonium have come up-they're my favourites... I don't want to have to compare poems that I don't like... plus: Simon Armitage is a GOD!!!! LOVE HIM!!!!!!
Reply 38
Sonnet 116 and 43 go well together-same form, same message about the strength of love.

Born Yesterday could go with To His Coy Mistress, Nettles, or Sonnet 116, whichever you think best fits.

Ghazal links with Sonnet 43 to discuss the love between one person and another. You have the two different forms, couplets, metaphors (nature vs religion)

To His Coy Mistress could go with either sonnet to discuss how time wears love away, the meter of both (iambic tetrameter vs pentameter) and couplets(THCM has couplets all of the way through except for 23-4 and 27-8, and 116 has the ending guarantee couplet which summarises his message)

My suggestions and probably the poems I'll be using to compare.
THCM is my favourite poem, as well as In Paris With You and Farmer's Bride :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending