The Student Room Group

First Job CV Help! (Weekend job)

Hello there! :biggrin: I'm 15 (Year 10) and I recently sent letters out for an equestrian weekend job. (See attachments below).
It's been a day and I already have a reply from an equestrian center and the one that is one top of my list to go to as well! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
It sounds hopeful but they have requested a CV. I forgot to add that to my letter...woops :s-smilie:
But what could go on my CV? I've never written one before. Also I don't want to repeat what I said on my orginal letter. I was thinking:
A few lines of myself
My predicted grades (have not got any GCSE's yet)
And the fact that I have had a few horse riding lessons; helped at a private livery for racehorses *(but I had to go because I made a few mistakes :frown:) and I loaned a pony but I had to because I made a few mistakes.

^Certainly not the best I know. I tried hard then but I am willing to try harder now. I want to get everything right. I am going write things down so I remember exactly. I am not going to be afraid to ask on anything I am unsure of without a doubt (this was the main reasons of my mishaps*).

Also in my free time I am taking part in World Challenge where you have to £4,000 to go to third-world country Ecuador.

So what do you think I should put? Like do you have any really good examples of a CV from someone around my age? Or just a good CV example? That would be really, really helpful because I so want this job! I want it for the experience and for my CV.

*On the livery, my mistakes were that I put a horse into the wrong field; I had difficulty remembering all the horses' names; I was slow at mucking out and grooming and I left one of the horse's head collar on in the field.
With the loan I made mistakes because I put the horse out (when the owner had loosely said not to, the horse normally went out and a lady said shouldn't Blue go out? And it made me think maybe it should), got the wrong straw and got the feed wrong when the diet changed.

I know it seems like a lot, and why should anyone employ me at all? Well I think that I was young then and had no experience but now I am older and I have learnt from my mistakes. I will make sure everything runs smoothly by writing things down and memorizing them.
- I will remember horse's names by writing down next to the characteristics of the horse and trying to memorize them.
- I am not that slow any more but I will time myself and concentrate on what I am doing. Not spread it all around the stall but the rake against my wellie.
- I am not slow at grooming any more but to aid speed I will tie the horse up.
- I will make sure I have a firm hold of the horse so it knows who is boss and can not run away easily. I will take it off quickly before it gets restless.
- I will write things down or do a map so I know exactly what time they go and out and when they go out.
- Again I will write things down so I know where everything is and ask if unsure.
- Same as above.

Sorry that was really long! But I wanted to include everything so knew my background a bit better. My grades are okay, about 6 A's and 2 C's, the rest B's.
But yeah opinions and everything is welcome, just post down below :cool::o:):smile::p:D v
Reply 1
If I was in your shoes I would probably consider a skills based CV. Head over to the CV Help section and someone will be along to further assist you.

On the whole, the fact that they have requested to view your CV is a cause for optimism. Good luck.
Reply 2
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 3
Hello I have done what you said, would mind proof-reading through my latest thread? Thank you! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending