The Student Room Group

Wrong pen? :(

On the front of the exam paper it said "Use only black ink or ball point pen." Half way through my english language exam my black biro ran out and I had to switch to a blue biro. Then I did the whole of my chemistry exam also in blue biro. Will it get marked as a U or something? :/ They were Edexcel IGCSE exams if anyone has experienced anything similar with them... thanks
Reply 1
Well when examiners mark the papers they scan them onto a screen, they ask for black so that they can read it clearly. If they can't read your blue writing then you're screwed! If your pen ran out why didn't you just ask for another...or take a spare?
Reply 2
I'm sure blue would still be somewhat readable when scanned.
Reply 3
Im sure you'll be fine as long as you didnt use pencil or a pale colour! i think its just so that no one can get away with using a light blue colour- black is black and you can only get one colour black and you cant argue with that!
Reply 4
Don't stress too much, if they can't read your blue handwriting they'll request for your exam paper in paper copy so that they can read it.
Reply 5
Sorry, you won't be assessed where you wrote in blue. You must write in black like it says on the front. In future, ask for a spare pen if yours runs out.
Reply 6
Worst case scenario it doesn't get marked. But I'm pretty sure that when they notice that it hasn't been scanned properly, they'll request your whole paper physically. I think the black pen is for convenience.

There's always one :wink:
Reply 7
Right...well if i get a U I'll have to apply for it to be marked in person or something
thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 8
Ignore the doomongerers - your paper will be marked in hardcopy if it fails to scan
Reply 9
Original post by janedough
Im sure you'll be fine as long as you didnt use pencil

You have to use pencils to do diagrams? So obviously it would scan, it's black anyway.
Reply 10
Original post by 12e90
You have to use pencils to do diagrams? So obviously it would scan, it's black anyway.

I think they scan diagrams differently don't they? Not sure, i was only trying to offer what i thought, just like everyone else :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest