Turn on thread page Beta

Just a quick poll to settle a debate. I'm particulary interested in input from foreign students
    J

ReputationRep:
    I believe TVU has a very good reputation amongst foreign students.

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    I believe TVU has a very good reputation amongst foreign students.
    wheres TVU? (is that thames valley university?)
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    Just a quick poll to settle a debate. I'm particulary interested in input from foreign students
    J
    surely Harvard is the best?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    surely Harvard is the best?
    is it? i was sure that Cambridge had the best reputation... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerline)
    is it? i was sure that Cambridge had the best reputation... :confused:
    well i dont know what everyone thinks, but i know that many people in america just regard harvard as the best university in the world, and i regard harvard as the best as well

ReputationRep:
    oxford and harvard i think

ReputationRep:
    You people are obsessed with reputations and polls!

This is far too general. MIT has an unsurpassed research reputation, but I'm not sure if it's reputation for undergraduate study would be as strong as places like Harvard, Oxford or Cambridge (although I'm not implying for one moment that it isn't as good.)
    Also, they have different subject strengths etc.

I think this is a pointless question.

(Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    You people are obsessed with reputations and polls!

This is far too general. MIT has an unsurpassed research reputation, but I'm not sure if it's reputation for undergraduate study would be as strong as places like Harvard, Oxford or Cambridge (although I'm not implying for one moment that it isn't as good.)
    Also, they have different subject strengths etc.

I think this is a pointless question.
    I'm just checking for myself that I'm right in a debate that has been raging. THis has frankly settled it lol
    J

ReputationRep:
    J
    I selected MIT since I am planning to studdy physics, I would probably had said LSE had I been up for Economics, and Oxford for Law. Imperial is a very good runner up to MIT for the sciences, and Ive also heard that Caltech has gained reputation. In general it depends on the subject.

In case you want to count reputation based on non-academic qualities (Costs, society, suroundings etc) then I would probably have picked Cambridge. In general I think I would have preffered a british university because of the lower costs and also because I think I would prefer living in britain than in the US ( I think the US is a little bit to capitalistic for my taste, and Europe is in general a little bit too left oriented. I think I would prefer something midway between Britain and the US but anyways...)

ReputationRep:
    Harvard... Even media pays tribute to it (i.e. Legally Blond)

P.S. I am not a local student :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Only Americans are proud to say 'I went to Harvard'
    Everyone else, 'I went to Oxford'

Basically because outside of the USA, Harvard isn't as well known as Oxford. I had never heard of any American unis until like 3 years ago but I have known many worldwide for years.

ReputationRep:
    Given that this board is called "uk-learning," and Harvard is almost on par with Oxford, I'd imagine that a less biased indicator would put Harvard ahead of the rest.

As for MIT, geeky science people seem to have infinite respect for the place. I think it also has a reputation similar to that of Cambridge's, that you can't get in by doing lots of extra curriculars, or getting straight As, but by being exceptionally gifted in your subject. Looking at their admissions FAQ it does seem alot tougher than Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Given that this board is called "uk-learning," and Harvard is almost on par with Oxford, I'd imagine that a less biased indicator would put Harvard ahead of the rest.

As for MIT, geeky science people seem to have infinite respect for the place. I think it also has a reputation similar to that of Cambridge's, that you can't get in by doing lots of extra curriculars, or getting straight As, but by being exceptionally gifted in your subject. Looking at their admissions FAQ it does seem alot tougher than Oxbridge.
    How's the STEP prep going by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono_3)
    How's the STEP prep going by the way?
    Much better cheers, have done about 10 questions from 2 papers. I'm gonna work my way through another 10 or so, then start seeing how well I do under time constraints. (Finding myself a bit horrified at the prospect of having to tackle stats questions)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baby_Angelz)
    Harvard... Even media pays tribute to it (i.e. Legally Blond)

P.S. I am not a local student :rolleyes:
    'even media pays tribute to it'
    Good god, in that case you can showcase every uni mentioned in films!!!
    Legally blond is one film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by preyingmantis)
    'even media pays tribute to it'
    Good god, in that case you can showcase every uni mentioned in films!!!
    Legally blond is one film.
    I wouldn't even go so far as to call it a film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byakugan_neji)
    Only Americans are proud to say 'I went to Harvard'
    Everyone else, 'I went to Oxford'

Basically because outside of the USA, Harvard isn't as well known as Oxford. I had never heard of any American unis until like 3 years ago but I have known many worldwide for years.
    can you tell me how you get your avatar so big plz?

ReputationRep:
    I thought internationally, Harvard was better known. And I'd much prefer to go to a great British uni to an ivy league, so I'm not biased towards it just to praise the American system or anything like that. I find that in general coutries which do A-levels (usually commonwealth or ex-colonies of Britain) regard Oxbridge as the best and countires which do SATs and have or have had a strong US influence are pro-ivies. Now if that's true what would be interesting is what do most people in the world take as examinations: Alevels, SATs or something else?. That could correlate with which uni has the best international reputation.

ReputationRep:
    J
    in the World is not enough, James Bond replies to a comment that he speaks very good English for a Russian by saying "I studied at Oxford" Nuff said

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.