The Student Room Group

How long did your dissertation take?

Hi Peeps,

Just about to start my dissertation (LLM). How long did your dissertation take to research/write up?

I've planned for a good draft to be done in 10 weeks. That's working 5 days per week full on kinda thing. For my undergraduate degree I chose to take a module in Jurisprudence instead of a research dissertation so I've no idea how long it's going to take me really!?

Any past experiences/advice would be welcome!
I think it takes as long as you make it take...

For my MA dissertation, which was purely theoretical, I started researching after exams finished in June, and handed it in at the end of August. I definitely fart-arsed around for most of June, trying to refine my research question, and I didn't really start writing until the end of July.

For my MSc dissertation last year, I got massively held up on my data collection, and ended up without much written at all by the end of July. August mainly revolved around data analysis, so write up was over the month in September (I had an extension until the end of Sept).
Original post by Rybee
Hi Peeps,

Just about to start my dissertation (LLM). How long did your dissertation take to research/write up?

I've planned for a good draft to be done in 10 weeks. That's working 5 days per week full on kinda thing. For my undergraduate degree I chose to take a module in Jurisprudence instead of a research dissertation so I've no idea how long it's going to take me really!?

Any past experiences/advice would be welcome!

Hi Rybee I've also started my dissertation which needs to be handed in next summer, better to start early I suppose. Was just wondering whether you could help me out, I'm doing my dis on the ethics of animal testing or something a long that line however, I don't really know how to go about starting it all. I will see my supervisor next semester but any help would be great:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by flying plum
I think it takes as long as you make it take...

For my MA dissertation, which was purely theoretical, I started researching after exams finished in June, and handed it in at the end of August. I definitely fart-arsed around for most of June, trying to refine my research question, and I didn't really start writing until the end of July.

For my MSc dissertation last year, I got massively held up on my data collection, and ended up without much written at all by the end of July. August mainly revolved around data analysis, so write up was over the month in September (I had an extension until the end of Sept).

I think the LLM will be more like the MA, I don't have to do any primary research or data collection as such, so that will definitely cut down a lot of time.

Can you just also elaborate on what you mean by 'fart-arsed around' :tongue:
Original post by Rybee
I think the LLM will be more like the MA, I don't have to do any primary research or data collection as such, so that will definitely cut down a lot of time.

Can you just also elaborate on what you mean by 'fart-arsed around' :tongue:

I'm really good at going to the library all day, looking up journal articles, but then not actually reading any of it....
Reply 5
Two and a half months for mine, although I wouldn't recommend it.

My original research (which I'd been working on at a low level for nearly two years previously) collapsed at Easter, so I started an unrelated topic from scratch at the beginning of June. I worked on it part-time in June due to work committments (and by "part-time", I mean 5 days a week). I then worked on it full-time (7 days a week) through July and into August. My supervisor cleared it for submission in mid-August, a month ahead of the formal hand-in date.

I ended up with a Distinction for it, but after a year of a taught Masters it just about finished me off. It was all far too skin-of-the-teeth for my liking.
Yes, I'd agree with Klix; the last month of trying to meet my deadline was hell...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending