The Student Room Group

Competitive inhibitor

Can anyone explain q4ci on jan 12 by1 wjec? If a competitive inhibitor is added, what would the graph of total mass of product formed against time look like compared to if no competitive inhibitor was added?
(edited 10 years ago)
My understanding of it, (not doing WJEC btw)
Is that competitive inhibitors slow down the rate of an enzyme controlled reaction,
So the mass of the product made will eventually reach maximum, because those enzymes that are not inhibited will continue to work, but it will take much longer because a only a handful of enzymes are working.

Make sense? So the curve should eventually reach maximum but just take longer to do so.

Have I understood the question correctly?
Reply 2
Original post by PKMN TRN JAM
My understanding of it, (not doing WJEC btw)
Is that competitive inhibitors slow down the rate of an enzyme controlled reaction,
So the mass of the product made will eventually reach maximum, because those enzymes that are not inhibited will continue to work, but it will take much longer because a only a handful of enzymes are working.

Make sense? So the curve should eventually reach maximum but just take longer to do so.

Have I understood the question correctly?

Ok thanks that makes sense, but just to check, does this mean that the curve for competitive inhibitor will be lower than the curve with no inhibitor because the product is made slower but will eventually meet the curve with no inhibitor as the same amount of product is made in the end?
yeah, it should reach the same level, but take longer to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending