This discussion is closed.
Amy6900
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I am investigating the effect of temperature on fungal and bacterial amylase. Clearly i would use water baths and iodine solution to determine how much starch had been broken down. Blue black indicating that little or no starch had been broken down, and a yellow brown colour(colour of iodine in water) indicating that all starch has been broken down into its constituent molecules, maltose.
However I am unsure on how to actually measure the degree of the colour, ie exactly how much has been broken down. I know you can use a calirometer but i am not quite sure how this works.

I would be keen on hearing how other people are doing this experiment, and their ideas and problems. Any tips on calirometers or info on how they work muc appreciated. Thanks

Amy
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmmm, better to have suspension of the solution-starch, with the amylase. Then you can quickly see teh colour change. Put it into the cuvettes, and intot he colorimeter, at a suitable wavelength.

Read off the readings, and plot a calibration curve.
Amy6900
Thanks for the reply...
I've done searches on the net for calirometers etc but have still not been abl eto understand this wavelenth business with it. If anyone can explain that further I would also be grateful.

Amy
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Basically you choose the wavelength of the light to shine through the cuvette. Certain wavelengths gets absorbed more by certain colours, so giving you better results. Ie larger range
Amy6900
How would i allow fo rthe fact that even with complete breakdown of starch there would be a yellow colour from the iodine?
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You use a "blank":

-Fill cuvette with water-to about 0.5cm^3
-Add 3 drops of standard iodine

Use this as the blank, and press the "zero" button on the colorimeter so that all the readings are taken form the iodine solution, ie any change in colour form teh blank will be noted.
Amy6900
Thanks
sorry i keep asking questions that to u must seem easy but ive never actually seen a colorimeter before in my life.
thanks anyway!
Amy6900
so how doe sthis calibration curve thing work? what are the axis?
GH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Amy6900)
so how doe sthis calibration curve thing work? what are the axis?
Temperature vs optical density.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (111)
55.22%
Yes, but I want to swap them (16)
7.96%
No, but I know who I want to choose (18)
8.96%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (48)
23.88%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (8)
3.98%

Watched Threads