The Student Room Group

AS/A2 WJEC English Language LG1/LG4 24-May & 3-June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by raychael95
I found that alright tbh, how did everyone else find it, and what did you talk about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't time it well. I spent 1hr 50mins on section A :eek:
I didn't even finish section B.

For section A, I spoke about adverbials, direct speech, determiners (cardinal numbers), pre-modifiers, superlatives, ellipsis and some other stuff. I spent too much time on that question.
I would be happy with a C, this puts soo much pressure on my LG4 exam now :frown:
Reply 41
Wow, I did finish in time. I talked about sentence types and moods, syntactical parrellelism, all types of nouns, Triassic structure and more stuff. Dw you will have done good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found that alright tbh, how did everyone else find it, and what did you talk about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought it was alright as well, a lot easier than some of the past papers! I can remember talking about passive voice, cardinal determiners, noun phrases, modification, dynamic verbs, reported speech and appositional phrases for section A and past and present tense, adverbs, asyndetic listing, minor and simple sentences, passive voice, hypophora, antithesis and colloquialisms for section B. How about you, anything similar?
Reply 43
Wow that's amazing, yeah but not all, dynamic verbs and syntactical parallelism, Triadic structure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
In section A, I talked about verbs, sentences (relative clauses etc), adjectives, noun phrases, reported speech/quoting, passive voice, declaratives, syntactical parallelism, adverbials.... so much stuff. Didn't like the texts though, I prefer ones juicy with adjectives and good noun phrases. Still, English is English and it went fine. Loads to talk about in section B, could have written 4 more pages probably, lol.

the exam was alright section A was very good but i missed out the bullet point on section B where it said how does the author talk about change of Cardiff :frown: was that really on the paper because i didn't mention it at all!!!!!!!

for section A i talked about declaritive sentences, stative verbs, dynamic verbs, rogatio, parrallel phrasing, geographical data, direct address, graphology, first person, contractions, present participles, superlatives.

for section b i talked about 8 points only and missed the bulletpoint :frown:
Reply 46
Wow, I did finish in time. I talked about sentence types and moods, syntactical parrellelism, all types of nouns, Triassic structure and more stuff. Dw you will have done good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by bourboncreams
I thought it was alright as well, a lot easier than some of the past papers! I can remember talking about passive voice, cardinal determiners, noun phrases, modification, dynamic verbs, reported speech and appositional phrases for section A and past and present tense, adverbs, asyndetic listing, minor and simple sentences, passive voice, hypophora, antithesis and colloquialisms for section B. How about you, anything similar?

Original post by CarysMoo
In section A, I talked about verbs, sentences (relative clauses etc), adjectives, noun phrases, reported speech/quoting, passive voice, declaratives, syntactical parallelism, adverbials.... so much stuff. Didn't like the texts though, I prefer ones juicy with adjectives and good noun phrases. Still, English is English and it went fine. Loads to talk about in section B, could have written 4 more pages probably, lol.

Original post by johnjorgell
the exam was alright section A was very good but i missed out the bullet point on section B where it said how does the author talk about change of Cardiff :frown: was that really on the paper because i didn't mention it at all!!!!!!!

for section A i talked about declaritive sentences, stative verbs, dynamic verbs, rogatio, parrallel phrasing, geographical data, direct address, graphology, first person, contractions, present participles, superlatives.

for section b i talked about 8 points only and missed the bulletpoint :frown:

How did you guys manage the time?
How long did you spent on section A and how long did you spend on section B
How long did you spend reading and analysing the text before beginning to write the essay?
I'm not use to 2hr 30min exams, my hand was literally trembling by the end of it, still I didn't even finish section B :frown:
Reply 47
Original post by Nerd2
How did you guys manage the time?
How long did you spent on section A and how long did you spend on section B
How long did you spend reading and analysing the text before beginning to write the essay?
I'm not use to 2hr 30min exams, my hand was literally trembling by the end of it, still I didn't even finish section B :frown:

I spent 1 hour 45 on section A (ran over by 5 minutes), and I spent 20 minutes analyzing (I am a master at quick feature-spotting, granted, the texts were quite empty though). How much did you write for section B? 1 and a half pages is generally acceptable if it's really good.

Also, am I the only one who thought section A was a little... dry? I didn't enjoy the language features, and found it hard to get some very high level features in there. I think the best I got in was 'asyndetic listing of noun phrases using compound negative adjectives' or something crazy like that. It just seemed empty of everything I really like analyzing. :frown:

Also, is it okay if you intertwine your points in section B? I wrote about how he showed enthusiasm for old and new Cardiff. Acceptable or not?
(edited 10 years ago)
so the second pint in section b was about the change in cardiff? :/ CRAP
Reply 49
Original post by CarysMoo
I spent 1 hour 45 on section A (ran over by 5 minutes), and I spent 20 minutes analyzing (I am a master at quick feature-spotting, granted, the texts were quite empty though). How much did you write for section B? 1 and a half pages is generally acceptable if it's really good.

Also, am I the only one who thought section A was a little... dry? I didn't enjoy the language features, and found it hard to get some very high level features in there. I think the best I got in was 'asyndetic listing of noun phrases using compound negative adjectives' or something crazy like that. It just seemed empty of everything I really like analyzing. :frown:

Also, is it okay if you intertwine your points in section B? I wrote about how he showed enthusiasm for old and new Cardiff. Acceptable or not?

I thought 1hr 30 was the right amount of time for section A, but I ended up spending 1hr 50 on it. I'm just not sure how many features I need to mention.

I did think there was a lot you could of spoke about in section A for the part that asked how the writer presents the events, but there wasn't a great deal you could of spoke about for how the writer presents those involved (police and looters).

I couldn't decide really whether he was all for the change in Cardiff or against. I think generally he was against the change. He did mention some positives of the new Cardiff, but how positive were they really, he said things like telesale capital or something, I don't think many would consider that a positive. The positives changes he said were attracting tourists, but notice how he later on he speaks of parts of the city which he admires that tourist never see as these places are hidden by the new changes to Cardiff.

The second part where you had to mention how the writer conveys change in Cardiff, you could have much mentioned the old buildings he mentioned like Roman church or something. There were a few words that were related to change, "transformation" as well others. I never really got to finish that part of the section B.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 50
so the second pint in section b was about the change in cardiff? :/ CRAP

I barely even got onto that part, ran out of time.
Reply 51
Original post by Nerd2
I thought 1hr 30 was the right amount of time for section A, but I ended up spending 1hr 50 on it. I'm just not sure how many features I need to mention.

I did think there was a lot you could of spoke about in section A for the part that asked how the writer presents the events, but there wasn't a great deal you could of spoke about for how the writer presents those involved (police and looters).

I couldn't decide really whether he was all for the change in Cardiff or against. I think generally he was against the change. He did mention some positives of the new Cardiff, but how positive were they really, he said things like telesale capital or something, I don't think many would consider that a positive. The positives changes he said were attracting tourists, but notice how he later on he speaks of parts of the city which he admires that tourist never see as these places are hidden by the new changes to Cardiff.

The second part where you had to mention how the writer conveys change in Cardiff, you could have much mentioned the old buildings he mentioned like Roman church or something. There were a few words that were related to change, "transformation" as well others. I never really got to finish that part of the section B.

I think I wrote an equal amount for police/rioters and events too. Section A I find is a lot easier. I didn't write as much for text B cause text A had a lot more interesting features, I felt.

For section B and the listing of things new Cardiff has, I just put it shows how well Cardiff is doing and the diversity of the city, but also his admiration and knowledge of the older city but also his recognition that Cardiff is still growing and expanding. Didn't mention the lexical field lol. I always just talk about the most obscure parts and have scored lower in section B consistently, but nothing lower than 17 so it should be all good. I spoke a lot about the noun phrase 'Victorian charm', I thought that was quite revealing. But I could have written oodles more for section B.
Reply 52
Section A there was LOADS to talk about!
Section B, I just felt like I was repeating myself really; noun phrases, dynamic verbs, parenthetic clauses, apposition phrases, asyndetic/syndetic triads and lists, proper nouns, prefix of "re-" to emphasise "transformation".. all linked back to how it conveys a positive attitude! :biggrin:
hi guys, LG4 is approaching and i HAVE NO IDEA about section B its so hard, all of the things confuse me greatly how do you guys revise?
Reply 54
I'm struggling with LG4 really badly! Like i'm panicking so much! I got a D in Jan and need help with structure and what to look out for! Please help!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
Original post by Nerd2
Would anyone like to discuss LG1 or LG4?
Essay structure?
These videos might may be useful for revision: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDC1DB15082544F5B

Any LG4 help please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Original post by mkhan9035
Any LG4 help please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've only just started revising :tongue:

I'll post some useful things on this thread tomorrow, once I've revised more.
Reply 57
Original post by Nerd2
I've only just started revising :tongue:

I'll post some useful things on this thread tomorrow, once I've revised more.

I know same! The exam is tomorrow so please do post something

Posted from TSR Mobile
i too got a D in jan, section B is much much harder in A all you need to remember is all spoken language terminologies, childrens language acquisition, language in male and female and political correctness
Reply 59
i too got a D in jan, section B is much much harder in A all you need to remember is all spoken language terminologies, childrens language acquisition, language in male and female and political correctness

Omg what the hell are all them? I know the terminology but none of those theories

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending