Turn on thread page Beta

Elections in USA- help please! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok, here's the thing...I've got to do a talk in our General Studies lecture with the rest of my form on John Kerry vs George W Bush, we're doing a kind of mock-up election, with a pro-Bush and an anti-Bush/pro- Kerry talk thingy, then everyone gets to vote.

I want to say something about how the electoral system works, so I can explain what happened in Florida during the last election, but I don't really understand it, and the Electoral college site is sooooo confusing! Can anyone help me? Preferably today or Sunday please! Ta v much...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Joanna*)
    Ok, here's the thing...I've got to do a talk in our General Studies lecture with the rest of my form on John Kerry vs George W Bush, we're doing a kind of mock-up election, with a pro-Bush and an anti-Bush/pro- Kerry talk thingy, then everyone gets to vote.

I want to say something about how the electoral system works, so I can explain what happened in Florida during the last election, but I don't really understand it, and the Electoral college site is sooooo confusing! Can anyone help me? Preferably today or Sunday please! Ta v much...
    Basicly what happened in the last election was that the results were so equal that they were within the margin of error of the electoreal system. The problem arose because the US does not have any clear law saying what to do in a case when the elections are that equal (In fact it was the first time in US history that the presidental elections differed with such a tiny majority). Basicly it all boiled down to wheather to delay the results of the election or to go by with those which were found. The Bush supporters obviously wanted to go on with the first results, since they won. And the Gore supporters wanted to delay the electoral results (Sinc the first results would indicate a loss).

Another issue in the electoral system was the machines used to vote. Many of them failed to punch out the election blankets propperly and there were also some issues in palm beach california were democrats claimed that the voting cards were confusing causing them to vote on the wrong candidate. Republicans Responded by saying that it was your responsibility to make sure you voted for the right candidate, and that the election cards were not at all confusing if you had just taken the time to read them propperly before voting (There were no republicans who claimed to have voted on the wrong candidate ).

All in all, those who support the republicans claim the election was fair, whereas those who support the democrats tend to claim it was unfair (And of course each side feels very strongly about why they are right and the other side wrong). In the end however, the problem arose because the results were so close. Democrats tend to claim that Bush should never have been president, but the truth is that the election was very equal, and thus who were actually anounced the winner were a question of principles and formalities rather than the law. After all, the US law does not specify what to do in such a situation, and hence the interpretation is up to the court.

ReputationRep:
    Here's how it goes: Each state has 2 senators and a certain number of representative to congress. If you add the number of senators and representatives, based on population, from each state that is how many electoral college members a state has. The people vote and a winner is declared by popular vote. The reason that bush won is because he won more electoral votes even though gore got the popular vote. After the election members of the party of the candidate that won each state go and cast their vote in the electoral college. The problem with florida was that on the ballots for a vote to count once a hole is punched the flap of paper from the hole had to be removed so that it is a perfect circle without anything hanging down. Lots of people didn't do this so they had to throw out lots of votes and then courts ordered the counters to recount the ballots that had been thrown out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Here's how it goes: Each state has 2 senators and a certain number of representative to congress. If you add the number of senators and representatives, based on population, from each state that is how many electoral college members a state has. The people vote and a winner is declared by popular vote. The reason that bush won is because he won more electoral votes even though gore got the popular vote. After the election members of the party of the candidate that won each state go and cast their vote in the electoral college. The problem with florida was that on the ballots for a vote to count once a hole is punched the flap of paper from the hole had to be removed so that it is a perfect circle without anything hanging down. Lots of people didn't do this so they had to throw out lots of votes and then courts ordered the counters to recount the ballots that had been thrown out.
    Thanks, that's cleared it up a little bit!

So do the electoral college members have any say at all or does it go entirely on what the general public votes? And my dad said something about Florida voted George Bush in because his brother was an electoral college member for Miami or something, so when he got the deciding vote when it was so close, he obviously voted for Bush...is this true? Did that even make sense?! I'm confusing myself, let alone other people!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.