Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all how did you find the exam? I really liked the 20 mark questions on 'gender and educational achievment and subject choices' and the 'research methods in context' where I chose 'group interviews'.

ReputationRep:
    This is for the AQA exam by the way

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't to bad the gender differences in educational achievement and subject choices. Curious to know if any one else referred to cultural and material deprivation to that question as a reason why educational achievement isn't just down to gender, other factors affect achievement and subject choice as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cosmology)
    Wasn't to bad the gender differences in educational achievement and subject choices. Curious to know if any one else referred to cultural and material deprivation to that question as a reason why educational achievement isn't just down to gender, other factors affect achievement and subject choice as well?
    yeah i did cultural factors too.. for class differences, and then i did a bit on ethnicity, so gender isn't the only difference!!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really talk about buti wrote a lot about internal and external factors of gender differences in achievement and subject choice. Wrote like 5 pages. How many marks would the examiner take off for not including ethnicity and cultural factors and all those stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nabz615)
    I didn't really talk about buti wrote a lot about internal and external factors of gender differences in achievement and subject choice. Wrote like 5 pages. How many marks would the examiner take off for not including ethnicity and cultural factors and all those stuff?
    If you didn't criticise then i think you will lose some A02 marks, but as look as you got the main stuff in about gender you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    It was alright, but I didn't finish one of the essays. I spent like 40 mins on the research methods in context part :/
    I choose postal questionnaires for that one.

ReputationRep:
    I never wrote anything on Ethnicity . Its asking on GENDER thats extra information so you will probably get marks for including it, but no disincluding it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyx)
    If you didn't criticise then i think you will lose some A02 marks, but as look as you got the main stuff in about gender you should be fine
    So would you say I get like 15 marks or at least 10?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnimeCrazy)
    I never wrote anything on Ethnicity . Its asking on GENDER thats extra information so you will probably get marks for including it, but no disincluding it
    Ethnicity as evaluation would only work if VERY well done, but using ethnicity/social class on that question just sounds like irrelevant garble and trying to answer a question other than the one set - gender was the focus, and should have remained the focus. The question wasn't "is gender the most important" but an assessment of differences in gender achievement/subject choice.

ReputationRep:
    Anyways how did everyone find the exam? Me personally, I thought it was okay but the family paper was much easier

ReputationRep:
    I only mentioned gender like how in cswk girls tend to better and boys tend to rush but gave no criticisms but I did mention changes in women's position etc is this right?

ReputationRep:
    And as for the two mark question what is ment by objectivity I wrote lookig at things at face value is that correct? And the essay question was quiet confusing on covert participation ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nabz615)
    Anyways how did everyone find the exam? Me personally, I thought it was okay but the family paper was much easier
    I agree The other one was much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonia786)
    And as for the two mark question what is ment by objectivity I wrote lookig at things at face value is that correct? And the essay question was quiet confusing on covert participation ?
    I put that it means someone isn't biased! so yeah that would be right

ReputationRep:
    I found the exam rather okay actually Well, apart from that question on policies which I nearly swore at because I'd hoped it wouldn't come up...but I put down Education Maintenance Allowances, Surestart, and Comprehensive Education, not sure if it was right though :/ Don't think I quite finished the 12 marker either, just because I was pushing myself for time to do the essays...other than that, I think it went well Did questionnaires for methods in context, and found the pure methods essay pretty easy. As for the gender one...I silently squealed with happiness when I saw the word gender xD

ReputationRep:
    Explain what is meant by "material deprivation" (2) - For this question I said it refers to poverty and the lack of necceserities, such as adequate housing and clothes

Give three policies that reduce the social class gap(6) - For this I put EMAs, Sure Start, Head start(is that even one?) & compensatory education.

Outline why public subcultures form (12) - I actually only wrote a paragraph and was gonna go back to it but ran out of time :/ I spoke a little bit about Mary Fuller but that's it xD Probally 2-3 marks max if any at all.

Assess Gender differences in education and differences in subject choice (20) - OMG WROTE SO MUCH FOR THIS!! I spoke about the impact of feminists - Then the feminisation of education, I spoke about girls changing ambitions (i also wrote about Sue Sharpe) as well as a new role model from women being lone parents (finanacially indecentent women), linked this with boys may not having make role model (not sure if relevant) which I linked with labelling in schools as well as boys poor literacy schools, and then I spoke about laddish subcultures, subjects being seen as masculine or feminine and a bit about the deline in men's traditional jobs, and also compared a bit about which was most important, I also referred to the item 3-4 times, but I don't feel I had enough analysis and evaluation which holds more marks>_< But then in Unit 1 I had no evaluation and I somehow got an A which was like what?

Strengths & Limitations of either postal questionnaires or group interviews studying students getting into University (20) - With this question I was all over the place, I choose postal questionnaires, and I did Talk about it in relation to university enterance when I could, as well as references to the item at least 3 times, I spoke about response rate, repressativeness, validity and reliabity, interpretivists & positivists thoughts on it, who may have answered it and also that people may not feel comfortable talking about their income and stuff and so will either not reply or give a 'socially acceptable' amswer.

Explain what is meant by objectivity (2) - No idea what I put for this, I know what it is now but I could not for the life of me remember what it was then, so hopefully get a mark but oh we'll if not.

Two disadvantages of Longitudinal studies (4) - I put it takes a long time, costs a lot of money to carry out and may be hard to gain access in to like the target population.

An advantage and disadvantage of structured interviews (4) - I put that they are reliable and two other things but cannot remember xD

Examine the disadvantages of covert PO and covert non-PO (20) - I spoke about the ethical reasons - lack of informed consent, deceiving participants, but then said but there is no Hawthorne Effect, i then spoke about interpretivists and positivists, as well as saying which they would dislike and putting a bit about why they'd like the other one. Then I spoke about reliability and linked it with validity, I also spoke about it not being replicable especially with participant observation as it can be a once in a life time opportunity and then spoke about how this happened with James Patrick (literally read about him before the exam and it stuck xD I then spoke about representativeness and did a really quick conclusion and literally finished when the examiner was saying it had finished xD

I really hope I got an A but I'm not getting my hopes up>_< <3 I got an A in Unit 1 with no revision - Seriously lucky, but only just 66UMS.

I hope everyone did well!! Anyone do the same for the 2nd question? Worried I got it wrong xD

ReputationRep:
    For q2 I wrote ema now known as bursery, and I can't rember the rest but for the advantage of structured interviews I wrote is reliable but lacks validity as a disadvantage

ReputationRep:
    how was the education essay meant to be structured ? i did outline and then criticise was that right ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super Silva)
    how was the education essay meant to be structured ? i did outline and then criticise was that right ?
    I did that too but I criticised the genders didnt focus on any other factors

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 22, 2013

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.