The Student Room Group

UCAS drama.

Bit of background to my problem...
I applied for LLB Law, and received unconditional offers. I firmed BPP Law School in Feb / March... I contact BPP Law School recently to tell them I had a change of heart and want to do a foundation year in Law at a campus uni, before going to BPP. They withdrew my whole application.

NOW this is where my issues are...
BPP Law School have told me they called UCAS and spoke to their HEI team about re-instating my application. When I call UCAS they are telling me that they have no such called logged on their system and BPP need to call them. I then spoke to BPP Friday morning, who said they'd look in to it on Friday for me.

UCAS are still telling me that BPP haven't called them to re-instate my application, whilst BPP are assuring me they have called. I' literally going around in circles right now and have no idea what to do.

I have an unconditional offer to study Law part time at a good university. I want to do it full time there instead, except they're saying I need to send in another application via UCAS - to which they'll give me an unconditional as soon as they receive it - but I can't send an application in, as my UCAS isn't live.

What can I do, as neither BPP or UCAS are being helpful and it's really stressing me out :frown:
Call BPP again. Ask for the name of the person who is listed as having made the call to Ucas. Speak to them and ask for the time they spoke to Ucas and the name of the person to whom they spoke. If they give you that information, phone Ucas and speak to the person so named - you should then be able to clear it up.

If BPP cannot provide you with that information, insist on speaking to the departmental manager. Explain the situation to them and ask them to take immediate action.
Reply 2
I'm sorry to hear that your situation still hasn't been resolved.

Like the other poster has said, you need to call the university again and ask that they call UCAS and stress how important it is. Be firm but ensure you're polite.

Ask if they could do it straight after you've called as its urgent and would only require a brief one minute talk with UCAS to sort things out.

If they still don't do it then in my opinion you're entitled to complain. I'd call them and ask for someone higher up in the department to talk to.

Considering that it would only take the university a one minute phone call to UCAS it seems you're being treated quite unfairly.

Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by JA1994
I'm sorry to hear that your situation still hasn't been resolved.

Like the other poster has said, you need to call the university again and ask that they call UCAS and stress how important it is. Be firm but ensure you're polite.

Ask if they could do it straight after you've called as its urgent and would only require a brief one minute talk with UCAS to sort things out.

If they still don't do it then in my opinion you're entitled to complain. I'd call them and ask for someone higher up in the department to talk to.

Considering that it would only take the university a one minute phone call to UCAS it seems you're being treated quite unfairly.

Best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sent UCAS the emails that BPP had been sending me, and UCAS finally re-instated my application. I then called BPP and spoke to someone different than the guy who has been dealing with me, as he is away until next week. The lady on the phone said I didn't even have an offer (WTF!) but that she's put me as 'declined'.

I'm a little worried that it's going to completely withdraw my whole application again, but I guess I'll find out within the next 24 hours!
Reply 4
Original post by Knalchemist
I sent UCAS the emails that BPP had been sending me, and UCAS finally re-instated my application. I then called BPP and spoke to someone different than the guy who has been dealing with me, as he is away until next week. The lady on the phone said I didn't even have an offer (WTF!) but that she's put me as 'declined'.

I'm a little worried that it's going to completely withdraw my whole application again, but I guess I'll find out within the next 24 hours!

I'm glad things have finally been sorted for you, I know how stressful situations like that can be. :smile:

I told you admissions departments can be a bit messy (although I'm not surprised if they have to read through masses of applications, personal statements, check grades etc.).

If she's change it to 'declined' then everything should be sorted for you now. Being declined should put you into Extra if what I was told is true.

If your UCAS hasn't updated already it probably will by the end of the day. Apparently the 'Extra' option will then appear.

At least you know you'll get that unconditional offer to study full-time. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by JA1994
I'm glad things have finally been sorted for you, I know how stressful situations like that can be. :smile:

I told you admissions departments can be a bit messy (although I'm not surprised if they have to read through masses of applications, personal statements, check grades etc.).

If she's change it to 'declined' then everything should be sorted for you now. Being declined should put you into Extra if what I was told is true.

If your UCAS hasn't updated already it probably will by the end of the day. Apparently the 'Extra' option will then appear.

At least you know you'll get that unconditional offer to study full-time. :smile:

Its been super stressful.

I'm praying that its all sorted now and I can go through extra!
Reply 6
Jheez this is seriously annoying! So, contacted BPP telling them I want them to release me... they withdraw me AGAIN.

I'm having to wait, again, for UCAS to re-instate it, so I can go through clearing as apparently I'm definitely not eligible for Extra. -_-
Jheez this is seriously annoying! So, contacted BPP telling them I want them to release me... they withdraw me AGAIN.

I'm having to wait, again, for UCAS to re-instate it, so I can go through clearing as apparently I'm definitely not eligible for Extra. -_-

You need to speak to the person in charge in the relevant department at BPP. Have you been taking the names of the people who keep doing it wrong?
Its been super stressful.

I'm praying that its all sorted now and I can go through extra!

Yeah !! Go to extra and find some places that are more prestigious than this (BPP is rather low-ranked).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Prospective UK
Yeah !! Go to extra and find some places that are more prestigious than this (BPP is rather low-ranked).

Posted from TSR Mobile

No use I'm afraid. BPP are telling me they can only Withdraw me.

I have found a way around all this though finally. I have applied for the Diploma in Law at Birkbeck, which is a one year full time course that doesn't require me to go through UCAS. I am able to be automatically enrolled on to year two of the degree after completing this one.
Reply 10
No use I'm afraid. BPP are telling me they can only Withdraw me.

I have found a way around all this though finally. I have applied for the Diploma in Law at Birkbeck, which is a one year full time course that doesn't require me to go through UCAS. I am able to be automatically enrolled on to year two of the degree after completing this one.

Strange.

I'm pretty sure they'll telling you the wrong thing. Salford originally withdrew my application but after I phoned them to tell them they'd told UCAS the wrong thing they sorted it out with UCAS, it only took about 5 minutes.

Saying that, it seems like you have a solution.
Reply 11
Original post by JA1994
Strange.

I'm pretty sure they'll telling you the wrong thing. Salford originally withdrew my application but after I phoned them to tell them they'd told UCAS the wrong thing they sorted it out with UCAS, it only took about 5 minutes.

Saying that, it seems like you have a solution.

It's just so stupidly confusing. I got the UCAS re-instated, then called BPP yesterday and the lady said she'd done something and that it'd be updates within 24 hours... nothing happened.

So I called today and spoke to someone else, who then just withdrew the whole thing again. I was like "Noooooooo!". UCAS have said it doesn't seem BPP have any idea what the hell they are doing. UCAS have just this second re-instated it AGAIN.

I'm just going to go through Clearing in July the day it opens for the degree!

The diploma idea was a good idea, until I realised my funding is limited so wouldn't get any for a one year course. WHY is university so difficult haha.

I still don't understand why I'm not eligible to go through Extra. You clearly have so why can't I. I'm obviously not special enough (sob) lol. But yeah thanks for all your help anyway, I super appreciate it all!
Reply 12
It's just so stupidly confusing. I got the UCAS re-instated, then called BPP yesterday and the lady said she'd done something and that it'd be updates within 24 hours... nothing happened.

So I called today and spoke to someone else, who then just withdrew the whole thing again. I was like "Noooooooo!". UCAS have said it doesn't seem BPP have any idea what the hell they are doing. UCAS have just this second re-instated it AGAIN.

I'm just going to go through Clearing in July the day it opens for the degree!

The diploma idea was a good idea, until I realised my funding is limited so wouldn't get any for a one year course. WHY is university so difficult haha.

I still don't understand why I'm not eligible to go through Extra. You clearly have so why can't I. I'm obviously not special enough (sob) lol. But yeah thanks for all your help anyway, I super appreciate it all!

"UCAS have said it doesn't seem BPP have any idea what the hell they are doing." - lol. Can you not get UCAS to call them and explain? I really don't understand how BPP are failing to do what you're asking. It's quite a simple request, all they have to do is change their offer to a rejection I think.

I didn't go through Extra by the way, I managed to get the university that I'd firmed to release me from the offer that I'd accepted (basically, to do this they rejected me*) and then got accepted by a university that I'd originally declined. It wasn't a conventional way of doing things but anything is possible with the consent of the universities involved and UCAS.

*maybe you should tell BPP that to release you from your offer they just have to change their reply so it says they've rejected you?

Honestly, I feel as frustrated as you about the fact BPP can't seem to manage this simple task.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending