AS AQA English Language B Watch

Armstrongy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone,
I've just got a question about this exam on Friday (24th May 2013). Are we allowed to write on the actual exam paper and annotate texts on there or does all rough work have to be completed in the answer booklet?
May sound like a silly question I know but I just wanted to check!

Also, how is everyone's revision going for this exam? Any tips?
Ellen55
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi yes you can annotate the data as much as you want. However you won't be marked on it, so make sure to include all your ideas in your essays.

I'm in y13, resitting to get make sure I get an A overall. Had too much other stuff to do to do a lot of revision for this haha! My tips would be to be strict with yourself in terms of timing for the grouping task, as it's easy to get carried away. Try and be tentative in your groupings - include groups within the groups and mention one extra text that kind of fits in your grouping, but not fully, if that makes sense. Also, revise at least 2 of the social context topics well - last time I went in expecting to do gender, hated the text and ended up doing power, which I was much less good at! Other than that, know your terminology well, learn some examples of groups you can use and have a good idea of which theorist said what, as they can help you shape your social contexts answers good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Armstrongy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ellen55)
Hi yes you can annotate the data as much as you want. However you won't be marked on it, so make sure to include all your ideas in your essays.

I'm in y13, resitting to get make sure I get an A overall. Had too much other stuff to do to do a lot of revision for this haha! My tips would be to be strict with yourself in terms of timing for the grouping task, as it's easy to get carried away. Try and be tentative in your groupings - include groups within the groups and mention one extra text that kind of fits in your grouping, but not fully, if that makes sense. Also, revise at least 2 of the social context topics well - last time I went in expecting to do gender, hated the text and ended up doing power, which I was much less good at! Other than that, know your terminology well, learn some examples of groups you can use and have a good idea of which theorist said what, as they can help you shape your social contexts answers good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you very much! There are some really useful tips there so thanks for those! Hope you get the A you want and good luck for Friday!
shaw16
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ellen55)

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many groupings would you suggest for the first question? Weve only studied language and gender and language and power but i feel more confident with gender. How do you approach analysing the texts and what do you look for especially in the gender question? Really nervous for this exam cos I want a A at AS and I only dropped a couple of marks in my coursework and our new teacher isnt helpful in the slightest any info much appreciated :chaplin:
Armstrongy
Rep:
?
(Original post by shaw16)
How many groupings would you suggest for the first question? Weve only studied language and gender and language and power but i feel more confident with gender. How do you approach analysing the texts and what do you look for especially in the gender question? Really nervous for this exam cos I want a A at AS and I only dropped a couple of marks in my coursework and our new teacher isnt helpful in the slightest any info much appreciated :chaplin:
My teacher advised us to have about 3 - 5 groupings overall
I'm not sure about the other two questions you asked but I hope someone answers them as I was wondering the same things!
I'm also really nervous as I want an A overall too
Ellen55
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by shaw16)
I'd say about 4 groupings, of at least 3 texts, with the sub-groups and extra texts stuff - though you can get away with less, I did a mock of the Jan 2013 paper a couple of weeks ago and did 3 (large) groupings as I ran out of time and got 44/48. You want to cover as many texts as you can though, leave one out at the most.

When it comes to analysing texts, I usually look at the context bit before the data starts first and try and get in the frame of mind of the situation - what the purpose of the text/conversation is, who will be reading it/who is taking part in the conversation, any other contextual factors (e.g power in a gender question) that might have an effect on the data. Then I read through the text, underlining and making notes on any features that look interesting. Look for marked terms, language focused on the woman's appearance, patronising language ("young lady") diminutive suffixes ("ladette"), address terms ("Ms"), then move on to thinking about theorists to help you spot things. Learn Lakoff's features of women's language (hedges, talking more, polite, hesitant, complain, asking more questions, supportiveness, tag questions, empty adjectives, more intensifiers, more qualifiers) and Tannen's contrasts between male and female language (status vs support, conflict vs compromise, independence vs intimacy, advice vs understanding, information vs feelings, orders vs proposals) as these are good for getting both AO1 and AO2 marks, and will almost certainly be exemplified in the text. Other good theorists to include are Trudgill (men use covert prestige, women use overt prestige) and Coates (all female conversation is co-operative).

However, don't let these rule the whole essay - use them to help you pick out good bits of data and include specific context in every paragraph to get AO3 marks. I usually do my first paragraph as a short introduction where I go through the context of the situation - even though it's often obvious, you'd be surprised what you get marks for! The same applies for power really, except it's more context heavy and less focused on theory.

I got a B overall at AS (couple of UMS off an A ) from getting a C in the exam and only dropping a couple of marks on the coursework - so you can probably afford to get a B in the exam and still get an A plus you can make it up at A2 if not, I thought the A2 coursework was pretty easy.

Most importantly, don't panic on the day, and good luck!
Armstrongy
Rep:
?
Also, does anybody have any model answers to this exam? I've tried looking online for some but I can't find any
chellls
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Since there's 7 texts my teacher told us to do one group of three texts and two groups of two texts, but sometimes I struggle with the groups so if i mentioned one text more than once would that be okay? i always take way too long to group my texts :confused:
Armstrongy
Rep:
?
(Original post by chellls)
Since there's 7 texts my teacher told us to do one group of three texts and two groups of two texts, but sometimes I struggle with the groups so if i mentioned one text more than once would that be okay? i always take way too long to group my texts :confused:
Yeah it's absolutely fine to mention texts more than once! My teacher has said this, and from reading examiner's reports, that if you mention a text more than once then it's a good thing and shows you're more open-minded because you're including it in more than one group
chellls
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Armstrongy)
Yeah it's absolutely fine to mention texts more than once! My teacher has said this, and from reading examiner's reports, that if you mention a text more than once then it's a good thing and shows you're more open-minded because you're including it in more than one group
Ahh! That's so annoying because my teachers always taught us like you can only mention each text once, so sometimes the two texts I have leftover to group are really weak because I can't think of anything that is necessary to group them. I think it should go so much better for me now I know this ah! Yay

Also, how many linguistic points do you think you should make in each of the groupings?
Armstrongy
Rep:
?
(Original post by chellls)
Ahh! That's so annoying because my teachers always taught us like you can only mention each text once, so sometimes the two texts I have leftover to group are really weak because I can't think of anything that is necessary to group them. I think it should go so much better for me now I know this ah! Yay

Also, how many linguistic points do you think you should make in each of the groupings?
I'm not sure there's really a good number to suggest because I suppose you can make just a few linguistic points but make them really detailed? However I was looking at an answer someone got full marks for and they made roughly 10 linguistic points overall per grouping so I think that may be something to go off..
Armstrongy
Rep:
?
Can anybody summarise or does anyone have a summary for Althusser's theory of interpellation in language and power? I have one in my notes but it makes it sound really complicated and I find it difficult to understand.
Thanks!

EDIT: And also for Jean Jacques Lecercle's theory? I'm so confused by what my notes say
Armstrongy
Rep:
?
Good luck for everyone sitting this exam tomorrow morning! I'm sure everyone will be fine
chellls
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm scared hahahaha
chellls
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How did everyone feel about it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1065)
79.01%
Leave (283)
20.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise