Turn on thread page Beta

chi squared - last ever thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi im doing a2 cw and it says on the mark scheme somethig about mentioning critical value. im doing chi squared and my observed value is 75.3 and on the chart it says 0.001. im using df2.
    however im not sure wot these facts mean as im crap at maths lol.
    cud some1 explain wot they are and tell me wot critical value is
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! *Hissss* EBIL!!!

Sorry the chi squares drive me mad!!! It means, I think thats its a probality of 1% of it being wrong... ie that is good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    hi im doing a2 cw and it says on the mark scheme somethig about mentioning critical value. im doing chi squared and my observed value is 75.3 and on the chart it says 0.001. im using df2.
    however im not sure wot these facts mean as im crap at maths lol.
    cud some1 explain wot they are and tell me wot critical value is
    cheers
    Critical value is number of things comparing minus one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Critical value is number of things comparing minus one
    No, that's the number of degrees of freedom, and you need to know a bit more about what you're doing before you can say 'it's -1', you need to know if you've 'guessed' any parameters. The critical value is the value which determines the critical range, i.e. the range in which, if your value of the sum of differences/expected values, lies in, then you reject the null hypothesis.

Sorry if that's a bit too complicated, i've been doing S3 coursework all day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    No, that's the number of degrees of freedom, and you need to know a bit more about what you're doing before you can say 'it's -1', you need to know if you've 'guessed' any parameters. The critical value is the value which determines the critical range, i.e. the range in which, if your value of the sum of differences/expected values, lies in, then you reject the null hypothesis.

so wot wud my critical value be :confused:
    ive only got a hypothesis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    so wot wud my critical value be :confused:
    ive only got a hypothesis
    Well, I don't really know, what's your hypothesis? what does df2 mean? What have you done so far? And by your observed values being 75.3 do you mean the sum of (O-E)^2/E = 75.3?

What is your significance level as well?

ReputationRep:

Thanks for correcting me. My tenth grade biology teacher was a maniac college professor and not a very good teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    Thanks for correcting me. My tenth grade biology teacher was a maniac college professor and not a very good teacher.
    Oh no problem, apologies if i came across arrogant at all...

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't really know, what's your hypothesis? what does df2 mean? What have you done so far? And by your observed values being 75.3 do you mean the sum of (O-E)^2/E = 75.3?

What is your significance level as well?
    my observed value is 75.3 its wot i got frm the chi squared. ive looked this up on the chart and it says 0.001.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmz)
    my observed value is 75.3 its wot i got frm the chi squared. ive looked this up on the chart and it says 0.001.
    Okay, you're going to have to give me a few more details

What do you mean by 'your observed value'? What have you looked up on the chi-squared chart? Do you know how many degrees of freedom you have? If you don't, then you can't look anything up on the chart? What have you looked up on the chart?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, you're going to have to give me a few more details

What do you mean by 'your observed value'? What have you looked up on the chi-squared chart? Do you know how many degrees of freedom you have? If you don't, then you can't look anything up on the chart? What have you looked up on the chart?
    thanx for helping ok ive calculated chi squared and ive got 75.3. my degrees of freedom is 2 (df2) ive looked on the chart along df2 and 75.3 appears under 0.001. so my result from the chart is 0.001.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.