The Student Room Group

Official AQA AS Chemistry Unit 1 - 23Rd May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nav_Mallhi
That is very sweet of you. :smile:
And well done for the A!

I'm happy to help :smile: (chem is my favourite subject by far)
And thank you :biggrin: hopefully the exam goes well for you lot and you'll get similar results
This exam has come around so soon!

Those of you who did the Jan 2013 paper, how did you find it? :smile:
This will be my first and hopefully last sitting of the paper.

I didn't find it hard, as I got an A too, it was just the amount of stupid mistakes that I'd made. Also, I'd be be happy to help anyone :tongue: if you have any queries!

- Tom
Thanks guys! Much appreciated. :smile:
Original post by mynameisntbobk
I'm happy to help :smile: (chem is my favourite subject by far)
And thank you :biggrin: hopefully the exam goes well for you lot and you'll get similar results

I love Chemistry! :smile: :five:

- Tom
Original post by The Lawful T.J
I love Chemistry! :smile: :five:

- Tom

Haha same :smile: Are you thinking about applying for chemistry next year? :biggrin::u:
Guys,

In Iodine are the covalent bonds between the atoms and the the van der Waals forces are within the atoms?

Am I right? :smile:
Guys,

In Iodine are the covalent bonds between the atoms and the the van der Waals forces are within the atoms?

Am I right? :smile:

Covalent bonds between atoms (of I), van der Waals forces between molecules (of I2)

so I-I is colvalent, I2 -- I2 is van der waals forces, Hope that's a bit clear
Haha same :smile: Are you thinking about applying for chemistry next year? :biggrin::u:

Natural Sciences :smile: /Chemistry :tongue: you?

- Tom
Natural Sciences :smile: /Chemistry :tongue: you?

- Tom

Medicine with chemistry as my 5th choice :s-smilie: crazy, I know :smile:

I take it you do triple science and maths then?
Medicine with chemistry as my 5th choice :s-smilie: crazy, I know :smile:

I take it you do triple science and maths then?

Oh, awesome :smile: I want to do Medicine :frown:
No, no, noooo! I do Biology, Chemistry, Religion & Ethics and Law :smile: what about you?

- Tom
Oh, awesome :smile: I want to do Medicine :frown:
No, no, noooo! I do Biology, Chemistry, Religion & Ethics and Law :smile: what about you?

- Tom

Why don't you go for it then?
Oh wow, how do you cope with them, especially RS? :eek: I do biology, chemistry, maths and psychology
Why don't you go for it then?
Oh wow, how do you cope with them, especially RS? :eek: I do biology, chemistry, maths and psychology

I just don't know xD I'm obviously stupid :P
Ooh, awesome! I'm doing Maths next year! And psychology.. Fun. Freud & everything :smile:

- Tom
Reply 52
image.jpgCould someone please explain this question from jan '13? Why can't you move the chlorine atom to other parts of the molecule?

Thanks in advance
Covalent bonds between atoms (of I), van der Waals forces between molecules (of I2)

so I-I is colvalent, I2 -- I2 is van der waals forces, Hope that's a bit clear

Thanks for that. :smile:

And also, I know that diamond and graphite both have , macromolecular structures, but is diamond giant macromolecular and graphite simple macromolecular?
I just don't know xD I'm obviously stupid :P
Ooh, awesome! I'm doing Maths next year! And psychology.. Fun. Freud & everything :smile:

- Tom

I'm sure your not :tongue: You're not stupid :tongue: I'm sure of that! I wish I could go back and change a few of my options (namely most of them) haha
Are you really? maths isn't as bad as most people make out, psychology is a killer though if you're not an essay perosn, but you shouldn't have a problem, Freud is unit 2 though :tongue: (for AQA A anywyas)

Original post by sam1996
image.jpgCould someone please explain this question from jan '13? Why can't you move the chlorine atom to other parts of the molecule?

Thanks in advance

Think about it, if you move the chlorine to any other carbon chain, then it'll always be on the 3rd carbon chain. Draw out all possible options then run your finger along the longest carbon chain (with Cl functional group) and you'll see the Cl is always on carbon 1 and 3, or carbons 1 and 1, they are your only isomers, therefore only one more possible isomer that of that in the diagram
Reply 55
I am so failing this.
Reply 56
I'm sure your not :tongue: You're not stupid :tongue: I'm sure of that! I wish I could go back and change a few of my options (namely most of them) haha
Are you really? maths isn't as bad as most people make out, psychology is a killer though if you're not an essay perosn, but you shouldn't have a problem, Freud is unit 2 though :tongue: (for AQA A anywyas)

Think about it, if you move the chlorine to any other carbon chain, then it'll always be on the 3rd carbon chain. Draw out all possible options then run your finger along the longest carbon chain (with Cl functional group) and you'll see the Cl is always on carbon 1 and 3, or carbons 1 and 1, they are your only isomers, therefore only one more possible isomer that of that in the diagram

Thankyou, that makes sense now!
Thanks for that. :smile:

And also, I know that diamond and graphite both have , macromolecular structures, but is diamond giant macromolecular and graphite simple macromolecular?

No problem :smile:

and nope, there's no such thing as 'simple' or 'giant' macromolecuar as macromolecular is basically a giant covalent lattice. Both diamond and graphite are macromolecular, which is gian covalent. You're probably mixing up it up with simple molecular and giant covalent, where simple molecular are stuff like I2 and S8, and giant covalents are macromolecular structures such as diamond, graphite ect

Does that make sense?

Original post by sam1996
Thankyou, that makes sense now!

No problem :smile: happy to help
I've got to say I guessed 1 in the exam though because I didn't have time to think about it logically
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 58
Did anyone notice how hard the Jan 2013 was? I just did it and JUST got an A.... Whereas i did other papers in 2011 and 2010 and got like 90% constantly.
Would the June one be as hard? cause if it is then im screwed :eek:
Reply 59
Original post by vengeance111
watchin, done no revision so far, im doing c2 at the moment

Havent done any C2! Planning on doing it after chem tomorrow :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending