The Student Room Group

Is it possible to secure a Pre-reg place with no pharmacy work experience before?

I'm a third year pharmacy student and I have no luck in getting a summer placement :frown: I don't have any work experience in pharmacy aside from the placements organised by my university.

I'm worried now that I can't get a place in pre-reg training and end up unemployed :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Sapphiron
I'm a third year pharmacy student and I have no luck in getting a summer placement :frown: I don't have any work experience in pharmacy aside from the placements organised by my university.

I'm worried now that I can't get a place in pre-reg training and end up unemployed :frown:

wow! how did u get into pharmacy in the first place? Im in A2 and the common understanding for 'most' pharmacy applicants who want to get accepted onto the course is work experience; the more the better i.e. in different environments retails e.g. boots, community pharmacies e.t.c.:K:

currently ive got a friend of my dad to and a former college mate to hook me up with two different places to get some work experience and now i feel really lucky just by reading your post :eek:
Reply 2
Original post by a.jiwa
wow! how did u get into pharmacy in the first place? Im in A2 and the common understanding for 'most' pharmacy applicants who want to get accepted onto the course is work experience; the more the better i.e. in different environments retails e.g. boots, community pharmacies e.t.c.:K:

currently ive got a friend of my dad to and a former college mate to hook me up with two different places to get some work experience and now i feel really lucky just by reading your post :eek:

Really helpful reply there, did you come on just to gloat?

OP try contacting as many independent pharmacies as you can, if you can get in with a local independent they may offer you a pre-reg. Also go in and speak to them rather than just sending off CVs.

Put your compulsory work experience down (although don't list it as compulsory) and really make the most of what you learnt from it.

Are you going for community or hospital?

Don't forget that volunteering, mentoring, being part of societies etc all counts towards your application. Also any previous work experience (retail etc) can be used to demonstrate teamwork, time keeping, dealing with conflict etc (and emphasise customer service skills if going for community).
Reply 3
@Kvs123

As a matter of fact I didn't come to "gloat".. if you read my post properly you MIGHT just notice that its not 'gloating' at all its simply stating my personal situation and expressing that I FEEL LUCKY in comparison to the OP :smile:

Besides I wouldn't be wrong in saying pharmacy applicants need work experience for all if not most unis? Correct me if im wrong on this point btw (which is what I was expecting OP or anyone else to say rather than criticizing my post)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by a.jiwa
@Kvs123

As a matter of fact I didn't come to "gloat".. if you read my post properly you MIGHT just notice that its not 'gloating' at all its simply stating my personal situation and expressing that I FEEL LUCKY in comparison to the OP :smile:

Besides I wouldn't be wrong in saying pharmacy applicants need work experience for all if not most unis? Correct me if im wrong on this point btw (which is what I was expecting OP or anyone else to say rather than criticizing my post)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was just pointing out that it might not be the nicest thing for the OP to hear that a sixth form student is getting work experience and they are not, when obviously they need it a lot more.

Work experience is not required for all unis. I didn't have any specific pharmacy work experience, nor did probably 75% of my course, and I was accepted at one of the 'better' universities. Obviously things may have changed since I started, but I know a lot of people don't have work experience and still get into pharmacy with no trouble.
Reply 5
Original post by kvs_123
I was just pointing out that it might not be the nicest thing for the OP to hear that a sixth form student is getting work experience and they are not, when obviously they need it a lot more.

Work experience is not required for all unis. I didn't have any specific pharmacy work experience, nor did probably 75% of my course, and I was accepted at one of the 'better' universities. Obviously things may have changed since I started, but I know a lot of people don't have work experience and still get into pharmacy with no trouble.

I will agree and i can understand what you mean when you put it that way which is why i feel that im really lucky to be able to get work experience at A levels.

Reading what you said about work experience, alot of things have changed and definitely one of them is requirement for work experience; i believe this is due to the rise of applicants i.e. loads of applicants competing for places.. which uni are you at and what grades did you get if you dont mind me asking? :smile:

p.s. dont mean to hijack the OP's thread and i would be really interested in his/her reply as im looking to go into pharmacy and am keen to learn more about it!
Reply 6
Original post by kvs_123
Really helpful reply there, did you come on just to gloat?

OP try contacting as many independent pharmacies as you can, if you can get in with a local independent they may offer you a pre-reg. Also go in and speak to them rather than just sending off CVs.

Put your compulsory work experience down (although don't list it as compulsory) and really make the most of what you learnt from it.

Are you going for community or hospital?

Don't forget that volunteering, mentoring, being part of societies etc all counts towards your application. Also any previous work experience (retail etc) can be used to demonstrate teamwork, time keeping, dealing with conflict etc (and emphasise customer service skills if going for community).

Hi, thanks for trying to help me. I felt doomed when I read a.jiwa's post.

I have spoken a few near my area, still no luck yet. They either can't or not interested. I've called up some and seems like most of the managers aren't in till tomorrow. I'll try again tomorrow.

Do you mean 'put my compulsory work experience down' as in recording it and learn as much as I can from it?

I don't mind either community or hospital. I prefer hospital though. Does attending the open days increase my chances of getting a pre-reg since they get to meet me first?

I had a previous job experience of a waitress. I guess this may help in my application for community pharmacy. I have thought of volunteering at an animal shelter. I know is not related to my course but I really love animals. Do you think this may help in my CV too?
Reply 7

I have spoken a few near my area, still no luck yet. They either can't or not interested. I've called up some and seems like most of the managers aren't in till tomorrow. I'll try again tomorrow.

Do you mean 'put my compulsory work experience down' as in recording it and learn as much as I can from it?

I don't mind either community or hospital. I prefer hospital though. Does attending the open days increase my chances of getting a pre-reg since they get to meet me first?

I had a previous job experience of a waitress. I guess this may help in my application for community pharmacy. I have thought of volunteering at an animal shelter. I know is not related to my course but I really love animals. Do you think this may help in my CV too?

Totally put down your compulsory work experiences, and say what you learned from them in terms of seeing how pharmacies work and are run, the roles of the pharmacist, and if its for the hospital applications, what you liked about your work experience and how it made you want to do hospital pharmacy, eg felt hospital pharmacists utilised the knowledge they were taught in uni more, and you liked that they work closely with other pharmacists and health professionals. (I'm slightly biased towards hospital btw, if you couldn't tell)
But you don't have to say they were compulsory, just say you did a placement.

I would recommend getting more experience though, especially for hospital as when I was in uni, I only got 3 days in a hospital as a compulsory placement, and most of that was focused on getting case studies, not observing the pharmacists role! Are there any official summer placements still open? Or If you know anyone who works in a hospital, try and see if they can speak to pharmacy staff about doing placements, or hospitals usually have a volunteers or work experience department? Or even ring up the pharmacy department at a hospital and chance it!

I would go to open days, as you say, if you make an impression it could influence them slightly, or at the least you can see the hospital and see if you like it. Maybe more useful if you have an idea of which hospitals you want to apply to.

You can spin your waitressing experience to your benefit. Say how it makes you a better candidate. Similarly for any voluntary work.

Please note though that its been a while since I applied for pre reg, so I don't even remember what the application forms for the hospital pre regs was like (plus I worked in scotland). Anyone should feel free to correct me.
Reply 8
Original post by a.jiwa
I will agree and i can understand what you mean when you put it that way which is why i feel that im really lucky to be able to get work experience at A levels.

Reading what you said about work experience, alot of things have changed and definitely one of them is requirement for work experience; i believe this is due to the rise of applicants i.e. loads of applicants competing for places.. which uni are you at and what grades did you get if you dont mind me asking? :smile:

p.s. dont mean to hijack the OP's thread and i would be really interested in his/her reply as im looking to go into pharmacy and am keen to learn more about it!

I'm at Bath and I got AAAab (before the A* was brought in)

Keep trying, if you can't find one in your area try areas a bit further out (if you have friends/relatives you could try near them?)

Any work experience is worth putting down, just make the most of it and discuss how this has helped develop your key skills. I had no hospital pharmacy experience and secured a pre-reg at a top London hospital this year so it definitely can be done, just try to make the most of your CV, probably avoid applying to more than 1 or two of the 'top' hospitals. Talk about ANY pharmacy experience you have even if it is just your compulsory uni stuff, even things like interprofessional learning etc can be used.

Going to open days probably wont make a huge difference as they meet so many people but it does help when writing your 'why this hospital?' section.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9

Aw i'm sure you'll find somewhere have you called up a lloyds near you? I called them directly and asked if i could spend a few weeks and they were happy to have me so hopefully they'll say the same to you ( i got rejected by the lloyds summer placement scheme haha)
Original post by cherri3
Aw i'm sure you'll find somewhere have you called up a lloyds near you? I called them directly and asked if i could spend a few weeks and they were happy to have me so hopefully they'll say the same to you ( i got rejected by the lloyds summer placement scheme haha)

Hi I got rejected by both Lloyds and Boots for summer placements. I didn't know some of their branches accept shadowing. So did you just walked in and ask for it?
I am of a similar situation. Just finished my 3rd year, waiting for results to come out. I didn't secure any summer placement this summer, neither community or hospital. But I've done some voluntary work in a community pharmacy for almost a year, and a month hospital experience overseas. Also some hospital visits as part of my academic course. But my concerns are more towards the interpretation. According to my friend, my CV is good, but I don't seem to know how to sell myself well with all the experiences I have on my hands.
Reply 12
Original post by c_hris_tin_e
Hi I got rejected by both Lloyds and Boots for summer placements. I didn't know some of their branches accept shadowing. So did you just walked in and ask for it?

Yeah i called them directly and they were happy to let me shadow
Original post by kvs_123

Keep trying, if you can't find one in your area try areas a bit further out (if you have friends/relatives you could try near them?)

Any work experience is worth putting down, just make the most of it and discuss how this has helped develop your key skills. I had no hospital pharmacy experience and secured a pre-reg at a top London hospital this year so it definitely can be done, just try to make the most of your CV, probably avoid applying to more than 1 or two of the 'top' hospitals. Talk about ANY pharmacy experience you have even if it is just your compulsory uni stuff, even things like interprofessional learning etc can be used.

Going to open days probably wont make a huge difference as they meet so many people but it does help when writing your 'why this hospital?' section.

Are there any do's and don'ts on the pharmalife application you wouldn't mind sharing ksv_123? I hope you don't think I'm being cheeky; they keep saying that the application for pre-reg placements is getting more and more competitive and I also don't have any previous hospital pharmacy experience so I'm really worried about not securing any interviews :frown:
Original post by cherri3
Yeah i called them directly and they were happy to let me shadow

I rang myself too and I didnt get the same answer..

ive tired many pharmacies..and nothing

it can be hard enough..just letting yeh know
but keeping trying and youll get something

lucky for me I got hospital placement which is sorta rare for first years:smile:

I am eager to get community pharmacy experience/job so any advice would be great!!:smile:
Original post by kvs_123

howya getting on man?:smile:

first year student here loving hospital pharmacy

at the moment im getting experience in one which is great! I hope to get some experience every summer I can!! what else do yeh reckon I could do? any advice would be gratefully appreciated:smile:

I know hopsital pharmacy is very competitive especially in NI so I need to be on my A game:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending