The Student Room Group

S1 Perms / Comb question(s)

Hey guy's, got my S1 exam on fridays and was wondering if anyone can help me out on these questions.

1: 8 cards are selected with replacement from a standard pack of 52 playing cards with 12 picture cards, 20 odd cards and 20 even cards.

a: How many different sequences of 8 cards are possible?
b: how many of the sequences in part (a) will contain 3 picture cards, 3 odd numbered cards and 2 even numbered cards?

After finding the total possible number of sequences as 52^8, I have no idea how to do part B.

2. The letters of the word POSSESSES are written on 9 cards, one on each card. The cards are shuffled and our of them are selected and arranged in a straight line.

a: How many possible selections are there of 4 letters?
b: how many arrangements are there of 4 letters?

I got part a as 12, but I don't know if I did it correctly. I did 9! / 5!2! which gave me 12.6 but that's a decimal so I think I've made a mistake

No idea how to do part b.

Some help would be much appreciated :smile:

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by BankOfPigs
Hey guy's, got my S1 exam on fridays and was wondering if anyone can help me out on these questions.

1: 8 cards are selected with replacement from a standard pack of 52 playing cards with 12 picture cards, 20 odd cards and 20 even cards.

a: How many different sequences of 8 cards are possible?
b: how many of the sequences in part (a) will contain 3 picture cards, 3 odd numbered cards and 2 even numbered cards?

After finding the total possible number of sequences as 52^8, I have no idea how to do part B.

2. The letters of the word POSSESSES are written on 9 cards, one on each card. The cards are shuffled and our of them are selected and arranged in a straight line.

a: How many possible selections are there of 4 letters?
b: how many arrangements are there of 4 letters?

I got part a as 12, but I don't know if I did it correctly. I did 9! / 5!2! which gave me 12.6 but that's a decimal so I think I've made a mistake

No idea how to do part b.

Some help would be much appreciated :smile:

Thanks.

1)b) This may be wrong but is it  3.097×1012\ 3.097\times 10^{12}?
Reply 2
Original post by joostan
1)b) This may be wrong but is it  3.097×1012\ 3.097\times 10^{12}?

yes that's perfectly correct.

I got the answers in the back of my book, so could you please explain to me how you got to it? Thanks a lot.
Reply 3
yes that's perfectly correct.

I got the answers in the back of my book, so could you please explain to me how you got to it? Thanks a lot.

I hate perms and combs, so this might not be the correct working, but if it works it works :lol:

Spoiler

Reply 4
Would you mind explaining the reasoning between each part? I only partly understand what you've done.

From my understanding, you've done 8! to list all the different combinations, and then 3!2!3! for the repetitions. I don't understand why you then multipled the 3 combinations together.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Would you mind explaining the reasoning between each part? I only partly understand what you've done.

Using the permutations of distinct objects: n objects p, q , r etc repeated elements n!p!q!r!...\dfrac{n!}{p!q!r! . . .}
So there are 8!2!3!3!\dfrac{8!}{2!3!3!} ways that the 203×202×12320^3 \times 20^2 \times 12^3 can be arranged - i.e. come out in.
So times them together and hey presto we get ourselves the right answer. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by joostan
Using the permutations of distinct objects: n objects p, q , r etc repeated elements n!p!q!r!...\dfrac{n!}{p!q!r! . . .}
So there are 8!2!3!3!\dfrac{8!}{2!3!3!} ways that the 203×202×12320^3 \times 20^2 \times 12^3 can be arranged - i.e. come out in.
So times them together and hey presto we get ourselves the right answer.

Thanks a lot.
Reply 7
Thanks a lot.

No worries :smile:
For your other q I can't see a better way of doing it than by considering the cases that arise to the number of s's :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by joostan
No worries :smile:
For your other q I can't see a better way of doing it than by considering the cases that arise to the number of s's :s-smilie:

The answer is 115 apparently, but I have no idea how they got there.
Reply 9
The answer is 115 apparently, but I have no idea how they got there.

Doing what I suggested will work, considering the cases according to the number of s's. :smile:
If there's a better way, I don't know it :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest