Worried i may not become a doctor! Watch

This discussion is closed.
Goku_ssj4
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Ye but if im correct, please correct me if im wrong, thats the Access to medicine course isnt it ?

And still it is Medicine right so who wouldn't wanna if they got a dream of becoming a doctor
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Im (hopefully!) going to med school in september. Unfortuantly, GCSEs are quite important as they sometimes look at these alongside A levels to see how you can get on with several subjects, not just three! (wouldn't it be nice if we cud all have just done three subjects for the whole of our lives!)
anyway, dont forget that its not just about grades, medical schools look for loads of different qualities for good doctors, like communication, charm, determination and stuff like work experience, so theres loads of different areas that need thinking about, not just grades. (It's all about exams these days, its not on...!) So work hard, do lots of research, think bout weekend courses like the Medsim course (www.worshop-uk.com) and keep thinking positive!

(By the way, whoever said getting more money in america is a good thing is wrong! we're lucky in this country that we can get medical education for the ususual £1200 university fees - in the states, all medical education is paid for completely by the student! (D'oh!) most students run up a debt of about $80,000, and spend most of their professional lives paying it off! That sucks! then again, we get cheap medical education, but we have to work in the NHS....!!!)
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
whoops! The address above is wrong! its www.workshop-uk.com !!!
Goku_ssj4
Report 16 years ago
mate that medical site isnt working ?Got any others or any useful phone numbers ? Im doing everything else BUT work experience and getting more involved because i dont know where to start
Goku_ssj4
Report 16 years ago
cheerz didnt read it in time.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
You still earn more in America than in England. Once I graduate from med school, I'm off to America to take the USMLE exam and then hopefully start working there. They give you a period of time where you can go anywhere you want to see what you really want to do. An average doctor over there has about $200000 a year after tax. I know this because one of my relatives are over there and hes a doctor.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Stop living in a dream world no doctor earns anywhere near 120K NOWHERE NEAR. Only top class surgeons and consultants with A HELL OF ALOT OF experiance would
Goku_ssj4
Report 16 years ago
Good point. he did mention after tax though. That will take a good chunk of it maybe £10-15000!

I do know though that the conditions in America for working are better! Unlike crappy NHS!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
SO MANY DOCTORS MAKE MORE THAN 120k, YOU R NOT QUALIFIED TO REPLY DUMBO
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
READ THIS -ITS V IMPORTANT AND ISNT A LOAD OF CRAP!!!

hello......im going to be a doctor aswell.....im off2 medical school this autumn........my teachers predicted me A's and B's .......but i ended up getting straight A*'s! I dont know whether they were being mean or just trying to push me......so i wouldnt be relaxed about my exams..........but they really arent very accurate........those grades are probably the MINIMUM that you'll get - everyone i knew was surprised at how good their results were on the day......(and i went to a really bad school).

most university prospectuses say that 5 or six A's mainly in the sciences are what they're looking for.......but as long as you have extra curricular activities, have looked into working as a doctor - (you know what the job means) and do well at AS -you cant go wrong - especialy with lots of enthusiasm (that im sure you have).

Hey look at THIS for getting into medical school - i decided only THIS summer to try for medicine.....i wasnt studying all the right Alevels - i hadnt done the work experience - but i still got a place based on other things - so its not immpossible........by ANY means .......oh and some medical schools are easier to get in2 than others........ they are ultimately the deciding factor in whether you get a place or not......St Andrews had me.....

if u want more info my email is - [email protected]
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i got rejected by all med schools
what do i do now????
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Resit, work hard, reapply, don't give up.
If its what you really want to do then you will find a way. Simple!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hello, i am the person who was worried i may not have the results i would need to become a doctor. After reading all of the replys, i want to thanks everyone for their advice and help. I feel more confident about my GCSEs and i realise that they are good prediction grades afterall.

I know you have heard this alot, but i want to become a doctor because i would like to help people. Being a doctor has been my life ambition and my fream. I am not bothered about the money. Indeed, i have heard that it is excellent money, but it is not about the money.

Thanks everyone!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
You are a stupid sucka, stop crying on the learning message boards you big wimp and just do some research into it, fat boy.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.83%
Excited (144)
8.84%
Worried (295)
18.11%
Terrified (367)
22.53%
Meh (149)
9.15%
Confused (35)
2.15%