Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello there,

i need to make my final offer decisions soon, but i'm stuck -

i'm going to do English/History joint degree at Birmingham, Sheffield or Leeds - but i don't know which - care to offer any help in my choice??

thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    + they're all offering ABB

ReputationRep:
    Personally i'd go to leeds cos its my favourite city and university out of the ones you say, and also i believe it to be the best of the ones you said, that is only my opinion of course

ReputationRep:
    just going by instinct, which are you most attracted to? surely lookin at all of them there must have been one which appealed to you more than the others. and what matters to you more: having a great time there, where you'd feel most comfortable, uni rep, how good the course is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rutera)
    just going by instinct, which are you most attracted to? surely lookin at all of them there must have been one which appealed to you more than the others. and what matters to you more: having a great time there, where you'd feel most comfortable, uni rep, how good the course is?

well, i think Birmingham may have the best English course, because they ask for AAB in single honours, but in joint it's ABB - but i dont know i cant go to sheffield or b'ham open days in 2 weeks due to a stupid controlled art exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
    well, i think Birmingham may have the best English course, because they ask for AAB in single honours, but in joint it's ABB - but i dont know i cant go to sheffield or b'ham open days in 2 weeks due to a stupid controlled art exam
    Can't you go and look around them both on another day?

ReputationRep:
    hello there,

i need to make my final offer decisions soon, but i'm stuck -

i'm going to do English/History joint degree at Birmingham, Sheffield or Leeds - but i don't know which - care to offer any help in my choice??

thank you very much
    I suggest you visit them - that usually helps. Also have a look at their course structure and see which one you like best. I would go for Leeds personally (even though i didn't apply there) because it's lovely.

ReputationRep:
    hmm maybe you're right

should i phone or e-mail?

i don't really like phoning and speaking to strangers - a bit of a nervous guy,

what about an email instead?

ReputationRep:
    hmm maybe you're right

should i phone or e-mail?

i don't really like phoning and speaking to strangers - a bit of a nervous guy,

what about an email instead?
    yeah e-mail, explain that it's difficult for you to attend the open days and they'll probably be fine with it. even if you don't get some kind of a tour you can still just look around, get the feel of it. good luck.

ReputationRep:
    hehehehe yeh thanks for the help guys - i've just emailed them both to tell about open days - but also asked b'ham about more details concerning an option for a year of study abroad + whether that applies to joint honour students as well as single,

lol - i'm still not sure which i want to go to ,

but i like Sheffield so far because of their study a year abroad - it's well descripted in the prospectus - but maybe b'ham has the same option

ReputationRep:
    I looked at Brums English course years ago but didnt like it. I dont know whether it is different now but when I looked it was too traditional for me.

ReputationRep:
    really? why was it traditional??

the teaching methods or the type of courses or...???

ReputationRep:
    The type of course too much Shakespeare and Chaucer in the first year for my liking compared to other unis. However the syllabus could be completely different now.

ReputationRep:
    damn....well i emailed both universities last night but as of yet i've had no reply - is it normal for them not to reply for a day??? i checked my emails about 10 times in college today

ReputationRep:
    some unis are really crap and can take days and days. If you contacted Sheffield then its the department that are slow because everytime that I contacted my lovely department if I emailed them at night i had a reply at 8.30 the next morning hows that for efficiency

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.