The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 English Lit/Lang

Is anyone else doing this? I'm more worried about the known text essay than the unseen texts! Plus I really should have done English Language and not combined! Lit is the bane of my life :redface:
Original post by olop
Is anyone else doing this? I'm more worried about the known text essay than the unseen texts! Plus I really should have done English Language and not combined! Lit is the bane of my life :redface:

I'm doing this exam! I'm more worried about the unseen texts! I definitely struggle more in linguistic analysis than literary analysis. What book have you studied? I've done Wuthering Heights and have surprisingly enjoyed it, at least more than the LL1 texts which I didn't even read :tongue:

What sort of grade are you aiming for?
im doing this too! need a mid B for a B overall...

im ok with the unseen texts for some reason, but the second part, NOPE.

anyone got an essay plan i can revise so i know i have got enough points to get a mid B? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by megfashion
im doing this too! need a mid B for a B overall...

im ok with the unseen texts for some reason, but the second part, NOPE.

anyone got an essay plan i can revise so i know i have got enough points to get a mid B? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Put simply:

1). Introduction
- State key points to be covered (e.g. if you were talking about marriage in Wuthering Heights, you might mention that you will be focusing on Edgar's marriage to Catherine, Heathcliff's marriage to Isabella & Linton's marriage to Cathy).
- Mention secondary texts (i.e. You might want to give only one sentence to this part where you say something like: "Marriage is also a central part to Rebecca by Du Maurier & a key theme to The Yellow Wallpaper by Gilman")
- A brief point on the context is always nice for the introduction, but not necessary - keep it brief as well (i.e. "Context affects the portrayal of marriage in all of these texts as women had expected standards to meet from society, requirements that affect the nature of the relationship between partners.")

2). Paragraphs (1 point per paragraph, I would say 3 paragraphs at least, 4 if possible)
- Less of a structure as it depends on the question, but ideally it should be something like:
- State area of discussion for this para (e.g. Catherine's marriage to Edgar)
- Literary discussion intertwined w/ context (e.g. this marriage is unconventional because of Catherine's intimacy w/ Healthcliff & her abuse of Edgar - however she is shown to still care for Egdar in such&such scene)
- Linguistic analysis (usually best after literary analysis, analyse linguistics in a scene that you have discussed to ensure that it flows e.g. Catherine's use of a semantic field of love & happiness reflects her positive inner state of mind when w/ Edgar, portraying their marriage as successful - this is seen in...")
- Relate to secondary texts (e.g. An example of a more conventional marriage than that of Catherine's & Edgar's is the marriage between Kane & Kate in Kane & Abel by Archer because...) - This can be done before or after the linguistic analysis BUT make sure it is after discussion of your primary texts (70% primary text, 30% Secondary texts)
- Final point (conclude the point that you are making , perhaps relating it to context again or a general literary idea that you developed earlier on in the paragraph)

3). Conclusion
- Round off all of your points by assessing them against context & secondary texts

Note: Aim to use at least 2 secondary texts. No more is necessary if your points are developed enough

Following this structure should get you a strong A if your points are concrete & not over-generalised (which is quite common for this section). I'm also going for a B, but I think I need around a mid-D in this paper.
Original post by Use Err Name
Put simply:

1). Introduction
- State key points to be covered (e.g. if you were talking about marriage in Wuthering Heights, you might mention that you will be focusing on Edgar's marriage to Catherine, Heathcliff's marriage to Isabella & Linton's marriage to Cathy).
- Mention secondary texts (i.e. You might want to give only one sentence to this part where you say something like: "Marriage is also a central part to Rebecca by Du Maurier & a key theme to The Yellow Wallpaper by Gilman")
- A brief point on the context is always nice for the introduction, but not necessary - keep it brief as well (i.e. "Context affects the portrayal of marriage in all of these texts as women had expected standards to meet from society, requirements that affect the nature of the relationship between partners.")

2). Paragraphs (1 point per paragraph, I would say 3 paragraphs at least, 4 if possible)
- Less of a structure as it depends on the question, but ideally it should be something like:
- State area of discussion for this para (e.g. Catherine's marriage to Edgar)
- Literary discussion intertwined w/ context (e.g. this marriage is unconventional because of Catherine's intimacy w/ Healthcliff & her abuse of Edgar - however she is shown to still care for Egdar in such&such scene)
- Linguistic analysis (usually best after literary analysis, analyse linguistics in a scene that you have discussed to ensure that it flows e.g. Catherine's use of a semantic field of love & happiness reflects her positive inner state of mind when w/ Edgar, portraying their marriage as successful - this is seen in...")
- Relate to secondary texts (e.g. An example of a more conventional marriage than that of Catherine's & Edgar's is the marriage between Kane & Kate in Kane & Abel by Archer because...) - This can be done before or after the linguistic analysis BUT make sure it is after discussion of your primary texts (70% primary text, 30% Secondary texts)
- Final point (conclude the point that you are making , perhaps relating it to context again or a general literary idea that you developed earlier on in the paragraph)

3). Conclusion
- Round off all of your points by assessing them against context & secondary texts

Note: Aim to use at least 2 secondary texts. No more is necessary if your points are developed enough

Following this structure should get you a strong A if your points are concrete & not over-generalised (which is quite common for this section). I'm also going for a B, but I think I need around a mid-D in this paper.

:O thankyou so much. thats made things so much clearer! ill rep you once im off my phone

all our teacher ever did was read the book to us, patronise us, and after an essay was handed in would just say how useless we are n ask for another one >:frown:

thankyou thankyou thankyou :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
:O thankyou so much. thats made things so much clearer! ill rep you once im off my phone

all our teacher ever did was read the book to us, patronise us, and after an essay was handed in would just say how useless we are n ask for another one >:frown:

thankyou thankyou thankyou :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem :smile:

My classmates & I took this structure from looking at the example answer on WJEC's spec and have used it in our essays for school - we've all gotten pretty good marks from it so I think its a reliable structure to follow. The structure itself is quite simple really but because of the amount that you are expected to include in your answers, it can become muddled & confusing under timed conditions - so planning your answer to this structure is pretty important.

Are you doing Wuthering Heights as well?
No problem :smile:

My classmates & I took this structure from looking at the example answer on WJEC's spec and have used it in our essays for school - we've all gotten pretty good marks from it so I think its a reliable structure to follow. The structure itself is quite simple really but because of the amount that you are expected to include in your answers, it can become muddled & confusing under timed conditions - so planning your answer to this structure is pretty important.

Are you doing Wuthering Heights as well?

mkay. we were just told a paragraph for lexis, para for syntax then a para for imagery...

no im doing Hard Times, Jane Eyre as the secondary text. i know other texts but it gets forgotten in the exam hall so going to brush up on some more books

Posted from TSR Mobile
mkay. we were just told a paragraph for lexis, para for syntax then a para for imagery...

no im doing Hard Times, Jane Eyre as the secondary text. i know other texts but it gets forgotten in the exam hall so going to brush up on some more books

Posted from TSR Mobile

:O really? Section B is supposed to be more literary/thematic, surprised that you would be advised to structure it linguistically. Of course linguistics is still necessary, but not as much is needed in Section B than in Section A.

Oh ok. Yeah Jane Eyre seems to be a popular secondary text for most primary texts, a couple of my classmates are using it as well.
:O really? Section B is supposed to be more literary/thematic, surprised that you would be advised to structure it linguistically. Of course linguistics is still necessary, but not as much is needed in Section B than in Section A.

Oh ok. Yeah Jane Eyre seems to be a popular secondary text for most primary texts, a couple of my classmates are using it as well.

mkay. well to be honest, i think i may scrap that idea and go with your essay plan instead, as the teacher's way didnt get me very high marks and made me SUPER confused in the exam. your structure i can actually go into the exam and go "right write this this and this... now write this this n this.." instead of "find a sentence ahh think of a sentence structure in Jane Eyre" etc.. etc..

yer i actually like Jane Eyre. if i wasn't supposed to be revising it, it wouldve been a great read. haha.

i have read abit about wuthering heights, and also i can refer to Inspector Calls as i ADORED that book/script haha. little things :P its just remembering to refer... for some reason when i enter the exam, all the books i have read in my life suddenly do not exist...

(excuse my grammar/sentence structure... i have processing issues and also didnt sleep last night...)
Reply 9
Not long now!!! :s-smilie:
Reply 10
That wasn't too bad :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Hi everyone, I did this exam today (my text was Wuthering Heights too). I felt that it went pretty smoothly but I don't want to be confident because you never know...

What points/links did you make for section A? :smile:
Didn't find it too bad either :smile:

I don't remember the exact links I made for section A but I was able to analyse it linguistically quite well & made some decent context points. For section B I did the prejudice question and discussed the presentation of racial, gender & class prejudice. My gender prejudice & conclusion was a bit rushed because I spent 7/8 mins too long on section A but I think I completely it well enough. What questions did you guys do for section B? They were all surprisingly relatable to Wuthering Heights, I think out of my class of 6 only two of us did the same question.
Reply 13
Just me who did Shakespeare's Measure for Measure and Webster's Duchess of Malfi then? The question I did, on the presentation of the theme of duty, was fine :smile:
I studied John Donne's poetry and did the 'uncertain and insecurity' question and linked it with 'I am' by John Clare for the unseen :smile: Confident for an A (which I need for Uni)
Anyone else do this module?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending