Turn on thread page Beta

finally here - chem open book watch

ReputationRep:
    hi this is prob a really obvious question but i dunno what to say, for the part 3 of the open book on gallium, how does spectroscopy rely on the understanding of the structure of the atom????
    thanks x

ReputationRep:
    otaku-
    yer i rember it saying something about a magic number. that annoys me, its almost patronising. i wish they would explain in more detial what they mean by that. ill look at it

catrawcliffe_87

u need to understand about the structure of the atom because spectroscopy is all about electrons absorbing or emiting energy (radiation/photons), and u have to know how they hop between energy levels. i think it is in quite alot of detail on both the open book paper and in the salters text book.

pm if u need to know more.

good luck.

ReputationRep:
    My open book is beginning to sound like an english comprehension.... i think anyone could have written what i've written so far if they had been given the booklet. i need to make is sound more chemistry like but am not quite sure how!
    i'm mainly stuck on point three. the rest i can write about, but i'm not sure what i'm sposed to be writing for point 3.
    its slowly getting there... but its not good enough to get an A which i do kinda need since I messed up a bit on the pratical one, although thankfully it wasn't too bad.
    You guys all seem to have done 2 or 3 mock open books, we only did one. the iodine one. and i got a bad grade for that.....
    Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ainat87)
    My open book is beginning to sound like an english comprehension.... i think anyone could have written what i've written so far if they had been given the booklet. i need to make is sound more chemistry like but am not quite sure how!
    i'm mainly stuck on point three. the rest i can write about, but i'm not sure what i'm sposed to be writing for point 3.
    its slowly getting there... but its not good enough to get an A which i do kinda need since I messed up a bit on the pratical one, although thankfully it wasn't too bad.
    You guys all seem to have done 2 or 3 mock open books, we only did one. the iodine one. and i got a bad grade for that.....
    Any advice?
    i know exactley wot u mean about it sounding like a comprehension - and to some degree it is meant to test this, as it a sorta scientific skill.
    I am mainly stuck on the 3rd bullet point also, hence my previous posts that no one seems to answer! lol.
    ill post again when i get a better idea about wot to right. got any specific questions/advice? i can send u examples (of past mocks) if u want, but i wont send u the real thing obviously.

hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatsthebadger)
    i know exactley wot u mean about it sounding like a comprehension - and to some degree it is meant to test this, as it a sorta scientific skill.
    I am mainly stuck on the 3rd bullet point also, hence my previous posts that no one seems to answer! lol.
    ill post again when i get a better idea about wot to right. got any specific questions/advice? i can send u examples (of past mocks) if u want, but i wont send u the real thing obviously.

hope it helps

Did you do the iodine and chlorine mock? Thats the mock I did. Could I read it and compare it with mine to see where I went wrong so I can make this one better? Would you mind?
    As for bullet point three.... I havn't completed it yet, but what i've written is pratically in the articles.

Tania.

ReputationRep:
    Cor! This years open book sound alot more difficult then last years, I remebr just filling the entire thing with annotated pictures and flow diagrams!

ReputationRep:
    Did you do the iodine and chlorine mock? Thats the mock I did. Could I read it and compare it with mine to see where I went wrong so I can make this one better? Would you mind?
    As for bullet point three.... I havn't completed it yet, but what i've written is pratically in the articles.

Tania.
    yer sure ill send u my mock. it got a low A i think, either that or a very high B.
    how u want me to do it? shld prob do it today, as the real thing is in on thursday, (well it is for me anyway)

niceage

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know the grade boundaries (percentage or otherwise) for the open book?

ReputationRep:
    anyone got any good sites that describe the unilac accelerator in a bit more detail??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    Anyone know the grade boundaries (percentage or otherwise) for the open book?
    Out of 45 you need:

A - 39 :eek:
    B - 36
    C - 33
    D - 30
    E - 27

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catrawcliffe_87)
    anyone got any good sites that describe the unilac accelerator in a bit more detail??
    ditto.

and also anyone know what to call theirs?

i have put:
    Gallium, the periodic table and the synthesis of elements.

summery is also quite hard. going to have to plan it quite carefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatsthebadger)
    yer sure ill send u my mock. it got a low A i think, either that or a very high B.
    how u want me to do it? shld prob do it today, as the real thing is in on thursday, (well it is for me anyway)

niceage
    Ummm... asap. i've got to try and finish mine tonight to make sure I have enough time to revise for my psychology mock exam. I've done most of it. Only got the summary to do really, but it could do with improving. Can you e-mail it? [email protected]

Thanks. I really appreciate your help!

ReputationRep:
    mmm.... I'm reading my open book, trying to somehow make it better, but I'm not sure what I'm doing. lol. Well, I'm not sure how to improve it. Can I get a marking scheme anywhere so that I can check I'm doing it in the right kinda format?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhh question 3 is hard, i can't find any sources and its a 10 mark question! I am struggling to do it grrrr

ReputationRep:
    did u get the mock open book i sent u?

iam finding q3 really hard to. also iam trying to find diagrams and equations, but apart from the ones in the leafet, i aint found none. U used the ones on the colour leafet at all? I cant really find a way to link those in - they seem to be just eye candy.

getting near the deadline, help would be apprieciated. lol

ReputationRep:
    Ummm... asap. i've got to try and finish mine tonight to make sure I have enough time to revise for my psychology mock exam. I've done most of it. Only got the summary to do really, but it could do with improving. Can you e-mail it? [email protected]

Thanks. I really appreciate your help!
    thats funny, i gotta finish it tonight too and a psychology mock exam tomorrow too! [what college u go 2?]

someone plz post some URL on UNILAC acceletor asap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zu-)
    thats funny, i gotta finish it tonight too and a psychology mock exam tomorrow too! [what college u go 2?]

these sorta are to do with it

http://www-aix.gsi.de/~demo/wunderla...apitel_03.html
    http://particleadventure.org/particl...ess/accel.html
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A305407
    http://www.egglescliffe.org.uk/physi...lder/acc1.html
    http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/maccelerator.html
    http://www.gsi.de/portrait/beschleunigeranlage_e.html

it is pretty hard.

anyone got some good stuff about deciding weather gallium is a non metal or a metal?

cheeers

ReputationRep:
    yea i need some help on that too.. also....
    "how UNILAC accelerator + atomic spectroscopy helped our understanding....."

ReputationRep:
    need to know more about WHY the properties of gallium are unusual, and q.3 obviously, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zu-)

lol. thats really weird. i go to Richmond upon thames college...

as for the chem, i'm still stuck on the unilac stuff. well, i need a decent diagram or summin... i can kinda explain the stuff thats already in the booklet, but i need some extra info...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.