The Student Room Group

Have I been caught speeding?

I'm usually a very obedient driver and always keep to the speed limits but yesterday after an exam I was driving home down a 30mph road and my head wasn't really the right place. As I was driving I noticed a black camera on a tripod facing towards me and on my side of the road, operated by two (rather old) men in hivis jackets and before i realised that it might be a speed camera it flashed (just the once). I know I was over the speed limit slightly but not by much, the max I would have been going would have been 35 :frown: do you think this was a speed camera? I didn't know they were allowed to flash facing towards you :/

what will happen now I'm so scared and have only been driving a few months:frown:
Reply 1
Exqueeze me for a moment while I consult my 8-ball. Hmm, it says Maybe.

Police use handheld laser guns to check your speed, maybe they were surveyors? I mean did it look like this?
http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/72476/72476,1216950844,4/stock-photo-highway-surveyor-stands-behind-camera-he-is-wearing-a-neon-safety-vest-and-helmet-15313306.jpg
I guess you'll probably just have to wait and see if you get a letter through...
Reply 3
Original post by spiral87
Exqueeze me for a moment while I consult my 8-ball. Hmm, it says Maybe.

Police use handheld laser guns to check your speed, maybe they were surveyors? I mean did it look like this?
http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/72476/72476,1216950844,4/stock-photo-highway-surveyor-stands-behind-camera-he-is-wearing-a-neon-safety-vest-and-helmet-15313306.jpg

Yes it looked like that but black
Reply 4
What if the flash didn't get you? It's a possibility.:smile:
Reply 5
That does not sound like a speed camera to me.
Reply 6
Original post by pane123
That does not sound like a speed camera to me.

But what else could it be? Pretty sure it was so now I'm so scared :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by Sanabanana
I'm usually a very obedient driver and always keep to the speed limits but yesterday after an exam I was driving home down a 30mph road and my head wasn't really the right place. As I was driving I noticed a black camera on a tripod facing towards me and on my side of the road, operated by two (rather old) men in hivis jackets and before i realised that it might be a speed camera it flashed (just the once). I know I was over the speed limit slightly but not by much, the max I would have been going would have been 35 :frown: do you think this was a speed camera? I didn't know they were allowed to flash facing towards you :/

what will happen now I'm so scared and have only been driving a few months:frown:

if it was the police that caught you they would of probably stopped you.
Reply 8

Like a previous poster said, they were probably surveyors. Did you not notice a police car or anything else to suggest the men were, in fact, policemen?
Reply 9
Original post by pane123
Like a previous poster said, they were probably surveyors. Did you not notice a police car or anything else to suggest the men were, in fact, policemen?

No not that I remember. They were quite well hidden and didn't see them till the last second so didn't really have a chance to look. There was no car/can parked on the road but not sure about off road
Reply 10
Was it a community speed watch group? Usually if you're caught by them they give your number plate to the police who then send you a nasty letter but don't normally prosecute.
Reply 11

Did they look like any of the following?

2011-12-14-00067.jpg

survey_on_road.jpg

scanner.jpg
Reply 12
sometimes they have the speed guns out of the car...so yeah you might have got caught speeding. But if its your first time you should be ok you'll just be sent on a speed awareness course.
Reply 13
Original post by pane123
Did they look like any of the following?

2011-12-14-00067.jpg

survey_on_road.jpg

scanner.jpg

yes but shorter and black
Reply 14
yes but shorter and black

The men or the cameras? :giggle:

I can't say for sure that it wasn't a speed camera, but it certainly doesn't sound like a speed trap I've ever seen.
Reply 15
Original post by pane123
The men or the cameras? :giggle:

I can't say for sure that it wasn't a speed camera, but it certainly doesn't sound like a speed trap I've ever seen.

The cameras!! Haha. Ok thank you I hope you're right!! :/
Reply 16
Will be 2 weeks tomorrow and haven't received anything in th post, do you think I'm okay??
Reply 17
It sounds like a speed camera. Mobile one can operate out of holes cut into the back of vans or be mounted on small tripods (about 2 feet high).They do not need an operator with them, he is usually undercover a little way off the road. Surveyors equipment does not flash! The fact that you have been caught does not mean you will be prosecuted- sometimes they are used as a deterrent, sometimes you are so little above the speed limit they don't bother (10% used to be the rule), sometimes they just can't be bothered. I would have thought you would have heard within a week.
Sounds like the community speed watch people. I got caught out by one of them once, but you just get a letter telling you off, and that's it. They're not police, they're just bored residents, being do-gooders.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest