VdV
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi,

I don't know much of the level of those different institutions for Master's in Management.

I know that Cambridge is Cambridge (!), that LBS has a top MBA program and that LSE is excellent at everything that's econ and business-oriented.

If you had to rank the following master's, what would it be ? (with justification please)

- MPhil in Management, Judge Schoold of Business (Cam)
- MSc Management & Strategy (LSE)
- MSc International Management (LSE)
- Master's in Management (LBS)

Thank you !

Oh, and in all that, where would a MSc in Strategic Management at HEC fit ?
Tcannon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What are your career goals? You need to clarify and do you have any prior experience such as internships, have you done the GMAT?
VdV
Rep:
?
Taking the GMAT on September 20th, I'm just starting preparation.

My career goal is to work in strategy for the defense/aeronautics industry, in which I have work experience, or in the energy industry (in which I have a specialization in my current studies).
I'm starting a 6-months internship at EADS working on the firm's strategy and have also been interning part-time for the last 4 months at a corporate foundation (founded mostly by defense groups such as EADS/Dassault/Thalès/Safran) studying non-governmental actors.
Tcannon
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
IMHO, LBS>Cam>LSE

LBS has the best strategy faculty team in the UK (methods and quant analysis along with game theory), it attracts like minded students with similar career goals and incidentally recruiters (admittedly consulting and blue chips). The alumni network is tight and well placed in strategy. Strong in consulting, some utilities but little aerospace. MiM is compact one year with good balance of analytical course work with practical learning. LBS is considered the best B-School in the UK and its career centre is more professional/personal than LSE/Judge. As you have prior industry exp, the internship is less urgent for you to prove street cred. LBS attracts good speakers and organises mixers.

Judge: 2 year MPhil with theoretical classroom and tutorials emphasis. No build in internship and little defence industry links. But you may go through some engineering department contacts to defence sector. Career centre may still benefit from more upgrade in personal and campus recruitment. Soild foundation with core courses and than good range of electives.

LSE: 2 year with build in internship. Quite structured with core and electives, great fin/econ courses. Facilities are crowded and depending on popular classes, it gets busy. Some strong and mediocre teaching staff with average access. Career centre is overrun by students from other courses and job hunt is fierce at LSE, part for fin/consult. Great guest speakers from top level politics/media.

You may wish to check out Cranfield MiM, the uni educates only postgrad. It has excellent management school with general management focus and top aeronautical engineering course supported by your target firms (BAE, EADS, BA, Rolls, GE). Some eng students are company sponsored. Also cheaper tuition.

Good luck
VdV
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tcannon)
IMHO, LBS>Cam>LSE

LBS has the best strategy faculty team in the UK (methods and quant analysis along with game theory), it attracts like minded students with similar career goals and incidentally recruiters (admittedly consulting and blue chips). The alumni network is tight and well placed in strategy. Strong in consulting, some utilities but little aerospace. MiM is compact one year with good balance of analytical course work with practical learning. LBS is considered the best B-School in the UK and its career centre is more professional/personal than LSE/Judge. As you have prior industry exp, the internship is less urgent for you to prove street cred. LBS attracts good speakers and organises mixers.

Judge: 2 year MPhil with theoretical classroom and tutorials emphasis. No build in internship and little defence industry links. But you may go through some engineering department contacts to defence sector. Career centre may still benefit from more upgrade in personal and campus recruitment. Soild foundation with core courses and than good range of electives.

LSE: 2 year with build in internship. Quite structured with core and electives, great fin/econ courses. Facilities are crowded and depending on popular classes, it gets busy. Some strong and mediocre teaching staff with average access. Career centre is overrun by students from other courses and job hunt is fierce at LSE, part for fin/consult. Great guest speakers from top level politics/media.

You may wish to check out Cranfield MiM, the uni educates only postgrad. It has excellent management school with general management focus and top aeronautical engineering course supported by your target firms (BAE, EADS, BA, Rolls, GE). Some eng students are company sponsored. Also cheaper tuition.

Good luck
Thanks for the answer.

However :
- The MPhil at Judge is one-year. What I like most about it is that it's cheaper and I like the idea of getting a Cambridge education (living there, and being and Cambridge alumnus with all that comes with it)

- The MSc's at LSE I have selected are also 1-year. The MSc Management & STrategy might be the easier one to get into and it has a strong emphasis on strategy, which is why i'm interested in it. The MSc International Management is one semester at LSE and one semester abroad in a big US B-School (Booth, Kellogg, YSOM, ...). The semester abroad is what I like about it, because I've lived in the US for a year and have a lot of friends there. Also if I want to get an MBA later on having studied in a top B-School (and hopefully getting good grades there) might help.

I heard the same LBS > Oxbridge > LSE thing before, so I trust you on this. However I wonder what the marginal difference between those really is. I already have a Master's degree from Sciences Po so this Master's is only a way of getting some serious business & strategy background.
Also I'm French and working in the UK, although an option, is not a priority. I'll be fine in France, in the US, or in Europe in general.
So the question will probbaly more be like "is there really a big difference between these schools in terms of international career opportunities".

If the answer is no i'll just go for the program that has the best price to attractiveness ratio

About Cranfield I didn't know about their program but I'd rather chose a school that is really well-known internationally. That would help me get a job in France or elsewhere outside the UK.
Tcannon
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I heard that it is easier to get admission for LSE MSc IM, but student quality varies more than Judge/LBS. How easy is it to access LSE's MSc IM exchange with top US BSchools? Do you know the precise number of places available for your targets to applicant's ratio and what criteria does LSE use to pick exchange students? If you have Master's degree from Sciences Po, then LSE is less attractive as it is the UK version of Sciences Po and kinda dual degree. Don't you think that US BSchool adcoms would see it as overkill when you apply with 2 Master's degrees for an MBA, how would MBA be transformational for your career?

Judge MPhil is seen more as academic and feeder to PhD programmes in terms of syllabus and exams. So less experimental learning platforms in contrast to LBS's practical approach. But teaching and research are rock solid.
VdV
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tcannon)
I heard that it is easier to get admission for LSE MSc IM, but student quality varies more than Judge/LBS. How easy is it to access LSE's MSc IM exchange with top US BSchools? Do you know the precise number of places available for your targets to applicant's ratio and what criteria does LSE use to pick exchange students? If you have Master's degree from Sciences Po, then LSE is less attractive as it is the UK version of Sciences Po and kinda dual degree. Don't you think that US BSchool adcoms would see it as overkill when you apply with 2 Master's degrees for an MBA, how would MBA be transformational for your career?

Judge MPhil is seen more as academic and feeder to PhD programmes in terms of syllabus and exams. So less experimental learning platforms in contrast to LBS's practical approach. But teaching and research are rock solid.
My Master's at Sciences Po is in International Security and has nothing to do with business and management. So it's not "dual degree" like, the MSc would be a real addition/dual competence.

Applying for an MBA with 2 Master's degree might look tough but I'm still very young, by the time I have my second Master's I'll only be 23.

The fact that I will have studied at a top MBA school will help in the sense that I would be able to say something about my experience there and how I felt the MBA was a totally different approach than the MSc and explain why I need it for my career with real experience of the thing.

Anyways the intake vs applicants figures are on LSE's website, it's under 10%.
Abhyank
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you are looking for a top business school in the UK, LBS is no doubt is the best school for MiM. It has great industry connections with a great reputation.

When it comes to the other two, LSE and Cambridge are in the same league both have a good reputation with a great network but both are not primarily Business schools so it’s up to your choice which one you want to opt for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.22%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
44.79%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.5%
I'm really nervous (59)
20.49%

Watched Threads