The Student Room Group

Revision :/

I loathe revising. Its excruciatingly boring and I have very little motivation to do it. Problem I actually want to do well in my exams.

So far I've made little note card things that I think take up a lot of time and then nothing stays in when I just read anyway. I tried writing it out but then because I'm bored I don't take any of it in. I tried reading it out loud...and singing. Waste of time for me, doesn't work. I tried making myself tests but they take up a lot of time to make so wasting an hour of revision time. I've made spider diagrams and post it notes and put them all over the house but I don't read them. As I said before reading doesn't seem to work anyway. Its like my brain refuses to keep things in.

One of my friends claims she has a photographic memory so she doesn't even bother revising because she remembers it all. Another friend just reads things and remembers them so just does that before the exam. Both get As.

There is so much to relearn for my GCSEs, my mum says to just write out everything again and again and again. This is so time consuming.

So guys, come be my saviour and give me some ideas of how to revise efficiently without it taking to much time to prepare for the actual revising part. I got a week and a half until my next exam so there is some time.
I found that for my GCSEs, past papers & their mark schemes were the best. Sit with an exam paper & it's mark scheme infront of you. Do the paper without the mark scheme (no cheating!) but once it's done, go through with it.
Don't focus so much on your mark and whether you got the answer right or wrong, but look at the language used within the mark scheme compared to how you wrote the answer.

For example, if you're doing a biology paper and they ask for a definition of homeostasis - how is it phrased in the exam paper? You can then learn that expression pretty much word for word as you know that's what the exam is looking for.

Plus, on the topic of past papers...get a bunch of them printed or just open online (easily accessible, I'm sure you know that!) and pick out reoccurring questions. Is there always a question in your bio paper about homeostasis? Is it common? You can pick out things that come up time & time again - and things that haven't come up in a long time/ever as there's a high possibility it'll come up in your exams!
Reply 2
youtube channels are the best way to revise (That I've found)

I use myGCSEscience for science
Mr.Bruff for english lit
Mathswatch for maths

and then I just copy down the notes from my revision guides onto paper. i don't copy it out word for word otherwise it wouldn't go in. Bullet point the main notes - try to use colour and diagrams to memorize it better.
Reply 3
I was like that too! best way for me was to try making revision relaxing, I know this sounds weird but it's working for me because I don't keep thinking revision is as boring and horrible as I used to! I just spend whole days in my trackies in bed surrounded by my laptop, books and maybe some revision snacks :wink: and just revise! The best things for me was watching stuff online, and especially on YouTube which is full of useful videos for science, maths, music and english (not so good for subjects like spanish or RS though). Then when I got bored of that I just did some past papers, also I found when I read through my notes nothing really went in but when I started highlighting key words to make sure I was actually paying attention stuff went in a LOT more! Reading your notes whilst taking the dog for a walk or on the bus to school also really worked for me too! :smile:
Revision is supposed to be time consuming. Reading through a few important bits from your textbook, making a colourful diagram and setting revision alarms on your phone can help get you into the routine.

I wish you the best of luck :wink:

Posted from TSR iPhone/iPod app

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending