The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Biology BY2 - 3rd June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
what did people put for as the source. I wasn't sure if it was atp produced by mitochondria or the sun
Reply 81
I definitely think the grade boundaries will be low!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
overall did everyone find this paper really easy? I finished with 40 minutes to go...
that went so badly :frown:
I forgot that the pancreas created Lipase, I also changed loads of wrong answers to right ones like the digestion of Carbohydrates/Lipids/Proteins, I made the duodenum & Illuem, I then randmoly changed it to Mouth & Duodenum for no good reason. and I correctly labelled the Pholem & Xylem & changed them for no good reason :frown:.

I also couldn't do like any of question 6 & the potometer question
I'm so annoyed, all this exam was, was PLANTS.

No Cardiac Cycle, No oxygen dissociation, No Veins/Arteries/Capilliaries (Not incl 10 mark as I didn;t do that one), No Chloride Shift, no heartbeat. This was a terrible exam & was not good at telling people their knowledge of biology..
Reply 84
For the potometer question, I put:
-set up under water so no other air bubbles form
-close tap for the reservoir so it does not change position of air bubble
Was I being specific enough to get the 4 marks?
Reply 85
For the potometer question I put: remove the leafy shoot and close the waterproof valve. See if the air bubble moves to test for leaks. Close the tap to the reservoir and see if the air bubble moves at all. In both cases, if the bubble moves without the leafy shoot being present there is a leak in the potometer.
What did you put? :/
With adaptation to reproduction for the ten mark I talked about eggs internal fertilisation, the nutrients in yolk and placenta and the amphibians laying eggs. I also talked about numbers of offspring produced in relation to parental care. My friend wrote about the finches beaks and Charles Darwin stuff. Have I miss read the question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by ThrashMetal
With adaptation to reproduction for the ten mark I talked about eggs internal fertilisation, the nutrients in yolk and placenta and the amphibians laying eggs. I also talked about numbers of offspring produced in relation to parental care. My friend wrote about the finches beaks and Charles Darwin stuff. Have I miss read the question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I don't think you have :smile: I wrote about all of those things
Reply 88
For the gills outside of water I put they would collapse on top of eachorher(as air is less dense) which would decrease surface area and they would dry up which wouldn't allow absorption of gases.
Reply 89
How did everyone find the paper?
Reply 90
Original post by dragonkeeper999
My teacher predicts that one essay question will be on the tracheal system in insects, apparently it hasn't come up in recent papers so one is due soon!
She has also predicted important questions on: Guard cells opening + closing, transpiration, dentition of herbivores + carnivores, ruminant gut, bile, tissue fluid, classification taxa, and inspiration in humans.
Personally I hope xylem + phloem, adaptions for gas exchange, and heart structure come up :smile:

omgggg ilove you some of ht did come up..... but i saw ur post a bit to late to fully revise them but it was ok how was exam? i didnt like sucrose or essay questions
Reply 91
Original post by ThrashMetal

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think your friend misread the question - I also wrote about what you did. I also wrote about birds and reptilse laying eggs and advantages of internal/external development.
The question was about REPRODUCTIVE adaptations on land, not adaptations like that of Darwin's Finches, who have adapted to a food source - I doubt your friend will pick up many marks :/
Reply 92
For the potometer question I put to keep a consistent temperature and wind force.. I don't think I got the marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 93
Original post by laiyla
How did everyone find the paper?

i thought it was a pretty nice paper, harder than last years but still pretty easy so i expect the grade boundaries will be slightly lower probably around 80% for an A
It was all plants. It was horrid, so annoying, I revised sooo many hours. I didn't think questions on the potometer could come up? We never did that in class, and in my revision book all there is, is a picture?
Reply 95
Does the concentration of sucrose under the ring decrease for the last question, and why??
Reply 96
I put increase because the sucrose was prevented from moving down to the roots. Root are the sink and they use energy such as sucrose to help the with active transport

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by mli26
Does the concentration of sucrose under the ring decrease for the last question, and why??

that was weird. I said that it would decrease because sucrose below the ring would not be replaced (because of the ring) and would be unloaded at the roots where it would be stored or used for respiration.
Reply 98
what did you put for the one before that about the growing shoots???
Reply 99
The question stated that there was no ring, therefore there would be no effect

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest