The Student Room Group

EEA Confusion

Hello, there is one question I truly don't understand:

Are you or your: husband, wife, civil partner or parent(s) a step-parent or child, son or daughter-in-law or child's partner a European Economic Area (EEA) national or Swiss national who is working, has worked or is looking for work in the UK?

I answered yes, because my both parents are.

Then in the evidence section they want a proof from me to confirm that I'm from EEA and came here for reasons of work (Select which evidence item you will provide to confirm your From EEA or Switzerland for reasons of work).

Now, I will be a home student before I start my course. Also, in the period of 2 years and 10 months, while living in the UK, I have only worked for 1-2 weeks in total.

My question is, is it me or my parents who have to provide this evidence? And if it's me, do I still have to provide it even if it's only 1 week of work we are talking about? The only evidence I could possibly provide from myself is a single payslip for that week.
Reply 1
Anyone? This is the only part of my application that is holding it back.. What should I do? :frown:
Hi Pelku,

You need to have been resident in the UK for 3 years prior to 1 September 2013 to be classed as a UK student.

You've mentioned 2 years and 10 months....is that how long you've currently been here or will be here when your course starts?

Thanks,
Mark-Lee
Reply 3
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi Pelku,

You need to have been resident in the UK for 3 years prior to 1 September 2013 to be classed as a UK student.

You've mentioned 2 years and 10 months....is that how long you've currently been here or will be here when your course starts?

Thanks,
Mark-Lee

Hi Mark,

No, that's my current position. It will 3 years in August.
Hi again,

Great stuff, as you're applying as a UK student who should not have answered yes to the questions about family member from the EEA.

Please speak with an adviser on 0845 300 5090 who will help to get this corrected on your application.

Thanks,
Mark-Lee
Reply 5
Hi again,

Great stuff, as you're applying as a UK student who should not have answered yes to the questions about family member from the EEA.

Please speak with an adviser on 0845 300 5090 who will help to get this corrected on your application.

Thanks,
Mark-Lee

If I change my answer to this question to a "no", it asks me whether or not I have the "settled status". I will have lived 3 years in the UK before the start of the course, so does that mean I will automatically receive settled status?
Can I just check are you an EU national?
Reply 7
Can I just check are you an EU national?

Yes, I have been living in the EU for my whole life.
(edited 10 years ago)
Great, you can put yes to the settled status question then.
Reply 9
Great, you can put yes to the settled status question then.

Thanks a lot for your help! Should I contact Migrant Worker team or do it myself?
Hi again,

No you're not a Migrant Worker if you've been here more than 3 years. I think it would be a good idea for you to contact one of our customer advisers on 0845 300 5090 to make sure you're answering the questions on your form correctly.

Thanks,
Mark
Hi again,

No you're not a Migrant Worker if you've been here more than 3 years. I think it would be a good idea for you to contact one of our customer advisers on 0845 300 5090 to make sure you're answering the questions on your form correctly.

Thanks,
Mark

Okay, will do! Thanks for your help again! :smile:
Okay, I am really confused now.

When you said I should tick yes for the "settled status", it asked for a date I received it.. I have done some research and think that after all I don't really have the status as I don't remember ever applying for one (and you don't receive one automatically, as far as I'm aware). I then spent 40 minutes trying to contact one of the advisers on the phone with no avail.. I ended up ticking "no" in that question. As far as I understand, settled status and EU national are two different, but equivalent things, is that correct?

This reference (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po.../introduction/) states:

"settled in the United Kingdom" means that the person concerned:

(a) is free from any restriction on the period for which he may remain save that a person entitled to an exemption under Section 8 of the Immigration Act 1971 (otherwise than as a member of the home forces) is not to be regarded as settled in the United Kingdom except in so far as Section 8(5A) so provides; and

(b) is either:

(i) ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom without having entered or remained in breach of the immigration laws; or

(ii) despite having entered or remained in breach of the immigration laws, has subsequently entered lawfully or has been granted leave to remain and is ordinarily resident.

P.S ---> I changed my answer to the EEA question to a "no", but it still asks me for the evidence proving that I'm from the EEA and came here for reasons of work...?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending