The Student Room Group

HS2 Debate

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Under the current plans there will be only a single line connection between HS1 and HS2. A couple of Lords, Lord bradshaw and another, have proposed Euston Cross station which is where there is an underground station which will be linked to both HS lines
Reply 21
Original post by meenu89
Two miles from the nearest point.

And people are protesting because of that? 2 miles is plenty - it's just NIMBYism at its finest. We need to expand capacity and if it wasn't going "through" your village then it would be going through someone else's.
Everything could be self contained similar to the Le shuttle trains which pretty much can't leave their own small network.

a single chord would limit capacity but again a north-europe direct would be low in demand I assume.

Original post by Morgsie
Under the current plans there will be only a single line connection between HS1 and HS2. A couple of Lords, Lord bradshaw and another, have proposed Euston Cross station which is where there is an underground station which will be linked to both HS lines

do you know how many track wide the plans say? 2? 4?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
I would like to see through services both internationally and domestically, recent report about Hs1/CTRL have said that the line is operating below capacity. It was planned that there would planned services back in the 1990s, never happened. There is a problem with this which is that the UK is not part Schengen.

Greengauge 21 wants a rethink of the HS inter-connection, here
Reply 24
Original post by Alex17595
Everything could be self contained similar to the Le shuttle trains which pretty much can't leave their own small network.

a single chord would limit capacity but again a north-europe direct would be low in demand I assume.

do you know how many track wide the plans say? 2? 4?

To answer question,

at least two pairs of two platforms (more if separate ones are needed for any

through international trains calling), and would link the three main line surface stations and Underground ones.
Original post by Morgsie
To answer question,

at least two pairs of two platforms (more if separate ones are needed for any

through international trains calling), and would link the three main line surface stations and Underground ones.

what about the main line.
WCML arrangement of up slow + fast + down fast + slow

or

ECML of UP+Down
Reply 26
Original post by Alex17595
what about the main line.
WCML arrangement of up slow + fast + down fast + slow

or

ECML of UP+Down

Not sure about the ECML.

Regarding the West Coast line there is a proposal to divert commuting services onto Crossrail via Old Oak Common
fares can be cheap and there are many different ones.

for example I just found a

- London - Manchester single for £8.25 --- 2hr7min
Going Crewe - Glasgow in a few weeks for £15 return.

anyway surely prices would go up as less people to lower the prices and thus the /passenger running cost is higher.

on HS1 its an extra few quid but save 40 minutes to Dover from london., and for London salaries they earn more in that hour than they spend. assuming HS2 has a supplement/extra cost it would be more as there is a much larger distance for less time saved.
I'll say yes to that. In many cases diabetes is brought on through poor lifestyle choices. However if HS2 grows the economy then that means that more tax is received by the government so more money can them be spent on research into diabetes.
but they will say they need to 'reclaim' the investment on the line so the prices will be higher than the standard ones
why else would they build anything? to make money!!! it will only increase fairs, despite what they say
Reply 31
The Lords in question who have proposed the Euston Cross idea are Lord Bill Bradshaw and Lord Tony Berkeley
Reply 32
Original post by wibletg
And people are protesting because of that? 2 miles is plenty - it's just NIMBYism at its finest. We need to expand capacity and if it wasn't going "through" your village then it would be going through someone else's.

I am a NIMBY. I wouldn't it coming near anyone else either. Why not improve the line that already exists? Why do we have to have a project which the Audit Commission have said is bad value for money?
Reply 33
Original post by meenu89
I am a NIMBY. I wouldn't it coming near anyone else either. Why not improve the line that already exists? Why do we have to have a project which the Audit Commission have said is bad value for money?

Because it's probably not going to be feasible to improve the line - you have to remember a lot of these tracks were laid a long time ago and stuff has been built around them - in a lot of cases it's not going to be possible to do things like add more track without demolishing built up areas.

If you read the report it doesn't say bad value for money - it's reported as being 'medium to high' value for money once a whole host of things are taken into account.

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/hs2-economic-case-value-for-money/hs2-economic-case-value-for-money.pdf

page 19.
i dont think it will increase much though, people get on fine now, just a bit crammed in. the new service would make it so people arnt crammed, but thus it takes more carriages/trains so the price will go up. being crammed isnt too much of a problem. hs2 will increase comfort yes, but it wont decrease the costs.
Reply 35
Original post by Palindromic
i dont think it will increase much though, people get on fine now, just a bit crammed in. the new service would make it so people arnt crammed, but thus it takes more carriages/trains so the price will go up. being crammed isnt too much of a problem. hs2 will increase comfort yes, but it wont decrease the costs.

So what happens when the UK population continues to grow and the rail network reaches capacity? Do we start building new infrastructure then, or do we preempt this for a seamless transition?
Original post by wibletg
So what happens when the UK population continues to grow and the rail network reaches capacity? Do we start building new infrastructure then, or do we preempt this for a seamless transition?

they need to create a plan for the whole country, the southwest line to london is one of the busiest routes in the country. if things are busy they should increase the number of services, not just make a few faster.

They need to create underground networks for more cities as to relieve the burden on overground trains. theyre always expading the underground and i wouldnt be surprised if eventually the underground goes from cities to cities, thus relieving congestion on overground trains.

Trains should be for medium haul travel, the short hauls should be for busses, ergo they need to increase the busses. the public transport (bar a few big cities) in this country is far behind european countries.
Reply 37
As I and many other have said we need long term projects NOW because Short and Medium term won't solve the problem
If you have ever used Eurostar, the DB ICE service or the TGV, you would have experienced at first hand the benefits of high speed rail. There may be arguments for a particular route, or not, but I'm in favour.
I'll just leave this here:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending