Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have got the results of my sciene experiment and my hypothesis was correct that

the lower the volume of water the faster it cools

i have to explain why this happens and write it in my conclusion can n e one explain to me why the beaker with 20ml of hot water cools before a beaker with 100ml of hot water please help me out!!!!

thanks
    llorena

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't sound right, I'd expect a larger beaker of water with the same overall heat as the smaller one to cool faster, because there's a larger surface area in contact with the air and the glass so heat can be lost faster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    That doesn't sound right, I'd expect a larger beaker of water with the same overall heat as the smaller one to cool faster, because there's a larger surface area in contact with the air and the glass so heat can be lost faster.
    True, but it is all about the surface area to volume ratio. And the amount of ehat retained. Like a polar bear and shrew anolagy

ReputationRep:
    The ratio (Surface area of water : Volume of water) is greater when there is 20ml of water than when there is 100ml.

The greater the surface area, the more quickly heat is lost. The greater the volume, the more heat there is for a given temperature.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.