The Student Room Group

Studying Meteorology....but where to go?

As the title suggest I am looking for universities offering meteorlogy. I do not take A level maths or physics and I understand that is what I need for most courses. I am asking for some advice on where to look and what universities offer meteorlogy, I am taking b.studies, geography,h.biology and history.
Thank you
Reply 1
I'm afraid you would be very hard pressed to find a meteorology course that isn't requiring Maths or Physics. My best guess would be for you to look into other 'Earth Science' related courses such as "Geoscience" or such. Perhaps you could also contact Unis to see whether they have any alternatives on Meteorology.
Reply 2
I looked into taking Meteorology and without Maths and Physics I'm afraid you won't be able to get onto a degree. Without Physics you can get onto Reading's Meteorology and Maths course, or UEA's Meteorology and Oceanography - but these both require Maths. Without either its worth looking slightly more broad. Many Unis offer Environmental Science - e.g with your subjects you could get into Leeds (which also offers a Met course, so has Met modules available in the Environmental Science course).

If you want a career as a Meteorologist/similar the job itself (at the Met Office) still requires A Level Maths and Physics. If you're set on that path I would consider taking another year and fast tracking them or two years and doing them. But there are opportunities to study bits of Meteorology in other degrees if you just want to study it a little rather than have a solid career in it (e.g one example is Keele's Geography degree offers modules in Met, the Environ Science degree I mentioned above etc etc).

Hope this helps
Reply 3
Perhaps look into doing a foundation year so you can get the maths/physics basis required for meteorology. :smile: I am planning to study Earth Sciences which tends to require maths and sciences and geography is considered useful. I imagine meteorology is quite similar to this. You have probably looked here but just in case you haven't. http://search.ucas.com/search/results?flt4=2014&Query=meterology&Vac=1&page=1
Very best of luck :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending