Turn on thread page Beta

Society, is it fair? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    My dad who is a self employed, law abiding tax payer, had to have an operation this week and has been given a sick not for the month, he has no sick pay as he is self employed, the government are supposed to provide income whilst he is off sick.
    He has been given a grand total of £2 a day to live off by the governemt, compare this to the cost of keeping a murderer in prison or giving benefits to an asylum seeker.
    Fair? I THINK NOT.
    No, its not a great amount of money - and not good to live on.

However, I don't like the way you again single out asylum seekers, they are entitled to benefit from the state just as much as you or I.

ReputationRep:
    Changing the point a little I think its very unfair that people like your dad should have to live off £2 a day when people make a career out of claiiming the dole for years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    My dad who is a self employed, law abiding tax payer, had to have an operation this week and has been given a sick not for the month, he has no sick pay as he is self employed, the government are supposed to provide income whilst he is off sick.
    He has been given a grand total of £2 a day to live off by the government, compare this to the cost of keeping a murderer in prison or giving benefits to an asylum seeker.
    Fair? I THINK NOT.
    No, from what you've said it sounds like your dad has had a raw deal.

However, I don't see the relationship of this to the treatment of prisoners or asylum seekers. The only link would be if it were true that it isn't economically possible for the state to give a fair deal to your dad as well keeping criminals/asylum seekers in human level conditions. As this isn't true, it seems they are two unrelated issues juxtaposed together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    They should be given a cold, damp cell, bread and water daily and 2 hours of exercise every 24 hours. Also, every crime should have a fixed penalty - i.e. murder should be a fixed 30 years - no special treatment or good behaviour crap given.

If prison was tougher, it would put more people off the crimes.

But not all criminals are going to be locked up forever! I think that if you dont treat the cause of the criminals...criminality? they'll only be more of a risk to society when they're freed,
    having said this, i do think that sentances need to be much longer,(ie, life = life not 15 years) and to suit the crime, does anyone remember that girl who joked that she had a bomb at an american airport?? she could have been given a longer sentance (10 yrs or something ridiculous) than a serial rapist or paedophile!
    it is awful though that money has to be spent on them, but i think that the money used, should go towards preventing them from reoffending, not to help them specifically, but to protect us!! what does everyone else think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)

However, I don't like the way you again single out asylum seekers, they are entitled to benefit from the state just as much as you or I.
    Yet they have never made NI contributions as have those who sit on their arse day in, day out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma18)
    But not all criminals are going to be locked up forever! I think that if you dont treat the cause of the criminals...criminality? they'll only be more of a risk to society when they're freed,
    having said this, i do think that sentances need to be much longer,(ie, life = life not 15 years) and to suit the crime, does anyone remember that girl who joked that she had a bomb at an american airport?? she could have been given a longer sentance (10 yrs or something ridiculous) than a serial rapist or paedophile!
    it is awful though that money has to be spent on them, but i think that the money used, should go towards preventing them from reoffending, not to help them specifically, but to protect us!! what does everyone else think?
    I think 60% reoffend....does this help to prove that at least this proportion have committed crimes way beyond reasonable doubt or have some of those been wrongly convicted and been forced into a life of crime....I would say that this happens on a very limited basis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)

should an economic migrant be entitled to benefit if it can be proven that he/she has not bothered to get work? Or does your statement apply to politically oppressed/refugee asylum seekers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)

I admit I was wrong to single out genuine asylum seekers however I was just looking to put across my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    should an economic migrant be entitled to benefit if it can be proven that he/she has not bothered to get work? Or does your statement apply to politically oppressed/refugee asylum seekers
    The latter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    The latter
    Fair enough

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.