The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Help! Think I may have failed 3 modules :(! Will I be kicked out!

Hi I'm a 2nd year engineering student at Bath. I think I may have failed 3 modules (there are eight in total on this course) :frown:. I've never failed a unit before in the first year or January exams. But Summer ones didn't go to plan. I'm very scared.

If you fail 3 modules, will you get the chance to retake them in the summer? Is there a limit to how many you can fail? Or do they just kick you out? Would they ask you to repeat the year instead?

Any advice from anyone (regardless of university/course) on this and the procedure of retaking/allowing people to retake, much obliged. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by PurpleTigers
Hi I'm an engineering student at Bath. I think I may have failed 3 modules (there are eight in total on this course) :frown:. I've never failed a unit before in the first year or January exams. But Summer ones didn't go to plan. I'm very scared.

If you fail 3 modules, will you get the chance to retake them in the summer? Is there a limit to how many you can fail? Or do they just kick you out? Would they ask you to repeat the year instead?

Any advice from anyone (regardless of university/course) on this and the procedure of retaking/allowing people to retake, much obliged. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Some universities are able to allow a student who has failed to re-sit these modules later on in the year (usually August). However you can only receive a maximum percentage of 40% on these modules.

Therefore to answer your question: You can re-sit them and if you are to achieve an average of 40% plus from these 8 modules you can excel to the second year. However this option of re-sitting would need to be discussed with your tutor or an individual which deals with these problems.
Reply 3
Original post by CemCakantemur
Some universities are able to allow a student who has failed to re-sit these modules later on in the year (usually August). However you can only receive a maximum percentage of 40% on these modules.

Therefore to answer your question: You can re-sit them and if you are to achieve an average of 40% plus from these 8 modules you can excel to the second year. However this option of re-sitting would need to be discussed with your tutor or an individual which deals with these problems.

If I were to be able to resit them, I'd be fine. Just I'm scared they won't let me.

Any other replies for other people? I'd really appreciate it. Hope what Cem's said is true.
It depends on your average % grade, not how many modules you fail. Generally I think you need to get over 40% average to safely be allowed to resit. So say you had 4 exams in january you scored 60% on two and 30% on the other two it would leave you with an average of 45% meaning you can resit in august, however if your grade falls below around 40% you may not be allowed to resit. Having said that it's best to speak to your personal tutor and possibly even head of department to be sure.

I wouldn't worry about it though, this happens all the time and lecturers see it all the time providing you haven't failed more than half of the exams you'll probably be ok.

Also even if you aren't allowed to resit, you are unlikely to be kicked out but rather invited back to resit first year.
(edited 10 years ago)
Do you have a department handbook on moodle? I do economics and we have handbooks for each year which cover everything including pass marks etc. If you have something similar there may be info on it there?
Original post by CemCakantemur

Adding on to Cem's post, I know at mine if you fail 4 or less you can resit, more than that then you need to resit the year. So it may depend on if you failed double modules, not too sure about the policy at your uni though.

Like mentioned, check if you have a uni booklet or ask the teaching office about it?
Hi I'm an engineering student at Bath. I think I may have failed 3 modules (there are eight in total on this course) :frown:. I've never failed a unit before in the first year or January exams. But Summer ones didn't go to plan. I'm very scared.

Thanks.

As stated by others, your other results would dictate the course of action. You won't be kicked out of university - worst case scenario is that they offer you the chance to retake the whole year.
Reply 8
Original post by Hedgeman49
As stated by others, your other results would dictate the course of action. You won't be kicked out of university - worst case scenario is that they offer you the chance to retake the whole year.

I'm confident that even if I failed all my exams (only think I failed 3 at most), I will average at least 47%.
Reply 9
Original post by littlemiss-sunshine
Do you have a department handbook on moodle? I do economics and we have handbooks for each year which cover everything including pass marks etc. If you have something similar there may be info on it there?

My department handbook is vague, just says if you pass everything the second time round, you progress. It then goes on to talk about they might let you carry on without retake one module or two if it's a marginal fail.

On the handbook and the flow diagram on it, it shows if you pass the supplementaries you go through next year.
Reply 10
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Adding on to Cem's post, I know at mine if you fail 4 or less you can resit, more than that then you need to resit the year. So it may depend on if you failed double modules, not too sure about the policy at your uni though.

Like mentioned, check if you have a uni booklet or ask the teaching office about it?

One of them is a double module. Another is half a module I think.

I checked the uni booklet and should be fine.

I'm not really wanting to go and ask the teaching office and this sort of time lol, I'm scared :frown:.
My department handbook is vague, just says if you pass everything the second time round, you progress. It then goes on to talk about they might let you carry on without retake one module or two if it's a marginal fail.

On the handbook and the flow diagram on it, it shows if you pass the supplementaries you go through next year.

In my first year a lot of people failed the maths module and resat in September. People who failed that resit had to redo the whole year, but those who passed continued onto second year as usual. From what you've said it sounds like it would be the same for you, though you'd have to do three retakes.
Reply 12
In my first year a lot of people failed the maths module and resat in September. People who failed that resit had to redo the whole year, but those who passed continued onto second year as usual. From what you've said it sounds like it would be the same for you, though you'd have to do three retakes.

I forgot to mention I'm a second year student.
I forgot to mention I'm a second year student.

I can't see why it would change? There's someone who was in my year, did a placement and came back after to redo her second year, presumably because she failed a module though I don't know for sure. It might be worth clarifying with your director of studies before results come out, so you're prepared. Good luck :smile:
Reply 14
I can't see why it would change? There's someone who was in my year, did a placement and came back after to redo her second year, presumably because she failed a module though I don't know for sure. It might be worth clarifying with your director of studies before results come out, so you're prepared. Good luck :smile:

Hopefully it'll work out ok, thanks :smile:
Hopefully it'll work out ok, thanks :smile:

Also are you planning to be on placement next year? That might depend on the final decision.
Reply 16
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Also are you planning to be on placement next year? That might depend on the final decision.

no

Quick Reply