Arsenal are in the champions league next season Watch

This discussion is closed.
DanMushMan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
16 to 1 on at BlueSQ. And dam you and your 10 to 1 on for Arsenal, i'm shocked they haven't closed the betting on that to be honest.
paddypower have paid out, like the did last year (and lost a lot)
I think sports betting is a bit of a mugs game, except maybe spread betting
Daveo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DanMushMan)
paddypower have paid out, like the did last year (and lost a lot)
I think sports betting is a bit of a mugs game, except maybe spread betting
Can't say i've ever touched spread betting.
Powerline
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sillynarb2)
after the newcastle result today there is no way they can finsih below 4th so they are in the CL already!

who can stop em?
no one... go on gunners!
byakugan_neji
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by sillynarb2)
after the newcastle result today there is no way they can finsih below 4th so they are in the CL already!

who can stop em?
Are you sure? You still have to win in the preliminary round to qualify for the group stages if you finish 3rd don't you? Or did they stop that and allocate automatic places to the top 3 instead?
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
You can lose a lot of money with spread betting. Unless you're a Thai businessman and can fork out for players to throw matches...
sorry 4 my ignorance - whats spread betting? :confused:
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Its when a certain part of a sporting event is allocated some points, and you 'buy' or 'sell' depending on whether you think the outcome will be higher or lower. The more away from the original score the result is, the more you win or lose.

Example: the bookies might say that there are going to be 3 goals in the Arsenal v Chelsea game. If you think there are going to be less, you 'sell' at a certain amount of money per point. You might say stake £10 per point. So if there were 2 goals, you'd get a tenner profit, no goals you'd get £30. But if there were 5 goals you'd lose £20. You 'buy' if you think its going to be higher than the 'index'.

Bookies usually offer all manner of weird indices, like the sum of the players shirt numbers who score, or time of the first yellow card.

ah i see ta, this type of betting isnt my cup of tea
serious narb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
i'm amazed i started a thread that lasted 3 pages but the main reason for that is 2 and 1/2 pages of it was nothing to do with the topic
zug
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
whats the difference between highbury and a cactus?

On a cactus the pricks are on the outside.

i hate arsenal
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i've never understood betting really - considering i'm supposed to be doing sum maths related career??

i always thought that if odds were something like 14-1 on, then you would lose money? or do you get your initial bet back as well? and what do some of the phrases in horse betting mean?
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
i've never understood betting really - considering i'm supposed to be doing sum maths related career??

i always thought that if odds were something like 14-1 on, then you would lose money? or do you get your initial bet back as well? and what do some of the phrases in horse betting mean?
if its 14-1 if you bet 1 pound you get 15 back? :confused:
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
if its 14-1 if you bet 1 pound you get 15 back? :confused:
well i'm not sure either - i think i get the normal 14-1 ie u earn more than waht you put in...

but what happens the other way round (1-14)? surely you'd just be losing money?
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
well i'm not sure either - i think i get the normal 14-1 ie u earn more than waht you put in...

but what happens the other way round (1-14)? surely you'd just be losing money?
but if its 1-14 wouldnt it be you putting £14 in, and get £15 back?
Powerline
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
but if its 1-14 wouldnt it be you putting £14 in, and get £15 back?
If it is, who would bet? its only £1, and your risking much more than you can gain.
Powerline
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The only reasons i could think of are:

-they do not care about losing £14
-They want to give their money away
-They are definate/almost certain that they would win the bet

it would probably be the 3rd one...(obviously)
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Powerline)
The only reasons i could think of are:

-they do not care about losing £14
-They want to give their money away
-They are definate/almost certain that they would win the bet

it would probably be the 3rd one...(obviously)
yea i know it sounds stupid, it could be real madrid vs Conference united or something

im gonna check out all this works now its mentioned
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
anyone know how odds work?
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yea i know it sounds stupid, it could be real madrid vs Conference united or something

im gonna check out all this works now its mentioned
Yes, the way to simply work it out is divide 1 by the number so if its 14 to 1 on you get 0.0714. THen times this number by your stake and thats what you would have won. I have 1k on France to beat Scotland today at 14 to 1 on. I should get 70 in return plus my original bet. Ok its a risk, but lets be honest Sctoland are not going to win its that simple.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Yes, the way to simply work it out is divide 1 by the number so if its 14 to 1 on you get 0.0714. THen times this number by your stake and thats what you would have won. I have 1k on France to beat Scotland today at 14 to 1 on. I should get 70 in return plus my original bet. Ok its a risk, but lets be honest Sctoland are not going to win its that simple.

ah right so how about 1:14?
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A brave man. Never bet what you can't afford to lose; I'm sure you can well afford it! If I was considering that, I would ask myself if I really needed the £70.
it doesnt kinda look alot to bet 1000 when the return is £70, but then again, rugby is rather predictable at the end of the day , so no wonder the odds are like this
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A brave man. Never bet what you can't afford to lose; I'm sure you can well afford it! If I was considering that, I would ask myself if I really needed the £70.
Lol. I usually do it every weekend, its just a bit of fun which adds an edge to a sporting event especially if its on TV.

My one big notable loss was the France vs Senegal game in the world cup. This is the first time I have trusted the French since. That bet was through ignorance of Senegal though, I'm well up on how crap Scotland are
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (759)
90.57%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (79)
9.43%

Watched Threads