The Student Room Group

Housemates sleeping together?

Basically we have just found out that our housemates have started a sexualy relationship, which not only did they hide but lied to our faces about. Now I am just worried about the fact that I have to put down a substantial amount of money for our house in September as we have to pay rent 6 months at a time. Obviously this 'relationship' has just began and we have a 4 month long summer where anything could happen. So then if something does happen and one drops out then we are liable to pay their rent. So i am very worried about this fact as I have been in a similar situation before and lost a lot of money. Is there any way of safeguarding that we will not be liable for their rent?
Reply 1
If you have all paid the deposits and signed the forms then for one person to leave all others have to agree. That means everyone has to sign agreeing that they will find someone new to occupy the spare room. Otherwise that person can't leave. This is what our estate agent told us. Yours might be different so I would ask what the policy is.

Why did you not find out their policy before paying a deposit and signing things? These are simple things you should find out before agreeing to anything, surely you would have known this if you have been in a similar position before?

Edit: Why is it any of your business whether your house mates are in a relationship or not?
(edited 10 years ago)
What exactly is your problem with your housemates having a 'sexual relationship'? Are they not fit any more to live with you now?

What do you have in mind when you say that 'anything could happen'?

You're an idiot.
Reply 3
As I stated I have been in this situation before and lost a lot of money it is hard to not be worried!
I think your attitude towards this kind of stinks, what business is it of yours? And why do you have so, so, so little faith in their relationship? They're two adults and can do whatever they want, unfortunately for you...
Reply 5
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
What exactly is your problem with your housemates having a 'sexual relationship'? Are they not fit any more to live with you now?

What do you have in mind when you say that 'anything could happen'?

You're an idiot.

It isn't that they disapprove of the relationship so much as that they want to avoid paying extra rent in the event that the relationship collapses.
Original post by Nick100
It isn't that they disapprove of the relationship so much as that they want to avoid paying extra rent in the event that the relationship collapses.

Fair point, but in the current market climate it should be possible to find a replacement housemate, I reckon...
Wonder why they never told you sooner :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
To be fair, OP doesn't seem to be expressing any opinion on their relationship other than worrying that they are liable to pay for rent for one of the couple if they break up over the intervening four months and subsequently decide they don't want to live together!

OP, find out if there is a safeguard in your contract and if not, consider sitting the whole group down and making sure that everyone agrees that should they leave, for whatever reason, they have to find someone to replace them in the house. That way it's made clear and you haven't just said it to the two of them, therefore it's not pointing the finger at them :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending