The Student Room Group
Reply 1
i know its good for spanish, dont know about those other languages.
if youre planning to do more rare languages, do chinese. that bombs gonna blow man.
Reply 2
Having been at Shef for 2 years doing French and Russian, and previously Japanese, i can say that it is indeed a good languages uni. French is well taught, has a good course structure enabling people to catch up to slightly above A-level with a lot of revision covering grammar that may or may not have been done, with a relatively nice workload if you get ahead of it, especially if your grammar is already great.

Russian is a very well taught course, ab-initio to GCSE within first term, A-level by end of first year, with native speakers, lots of encouragement.

Chinese I didn't do, but the SEAS department is one of the top 3 in the UK I would say for East Asian languages, having done Japanese I could say that the kanji teaching might have been better, though given Chinese's also great dependence on hanzi I can't be certain this isn't taught better, certainly the whole thing is very well rounded :yy: I know nothing of the arabic course.

Concerning your desire to do 3 languages at once, if you did this it would be 2 major one minor, I should have followed this path myself as it all but eliminates cultural and lecture based parts of the course, which were my weakness.

The city is indeed one of the best in the country I would say as a place to learn, lots of good points, cheap bars, nice views etc. If you want any more info on langs there them PM me :smile::hugs:

Latest

Trending

Trending