Turn on thread page Beta

Germans - Wot R Ur Opinions On Them? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ankur1986)
    what the subject title says....
    Krauts. Cook me up a Frankfurter. And nazi ******* murderers of course.

I'm sure most Germans are generally okay today though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaarrrggh)
    Can anyone here name a single attractive German woman?
    How about Heidi Klum. If you don't think she is attractive you are probably gay.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of question is that??? I've never met any but I assume the majority of the population are very nice people. Why do you ask that??? Is it cos of the wars???? Thats stupid!!! You could say you don't like Austrians coz Hitler was from Austria. Or you don't like England coz Jack the Ripper was from England. ect ect ect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    ya, come on you don't think lederhosen is hot? lol
    And of course, all Germans wear Lederhosen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    And of course, all Germans wear Lederhosen
    aye, all three times I went there I saw soooo many germans wearing those

nah, twas a nice place, the people there were really understanding about my inability to pronounce their language. they have good breakfasts too

ReputationRep:
    the germans i've met seem to be quite nice normal people, of course, they turn into the 3rd reich when there are sunloungers to capture on holiday

ReputationRep:
    Last time I was there was during the buld up to the Iraq war. Some people seemed to resent us, but most were OK. We had some laughs trying to swap insults in German, and the Beer is second to none. Stick to the younger generation and stay away from the Goths. Same as here infact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamON........)
    What kind of question is that??? I've never met any but I assume the majority of the population are very nice people. Why do you ask that??? Is it cos of the wars???? Thats stupid!!! You could say you don't like Austrians coz Hitler was from Austria. Or you don't like England coz Jack the Ripper was from England. ect ect ect
    i asked it cos im doin a research project on germans and i waz curious as to what people' views on germans are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ankur1986)
    what the subject title says....
    We've got some in our school at the moment on an exchange...they seem ok.

ReputationRep:
    when we had some on exchange, they were really nervous of coming over to england, because when they went to france people threw rocks at them

ReputationRep:
    I personall don't have anything against the Germans...at school about a week ago we had a holocaust survivor come and speak to us (Rudi Oppenheimer...he was a german jew and the most inspiring person I have had the pleasure of meeting) and he said that he has nothing against the germans because the ones living in germany at the moment arent the ones that were involved in the war and so therefore should not be hated just because of their ancestry...if this man who suffered for the whole of his childhood can find it in his heart to forgive the germans then who are we (most of us probably have never had sufficient contact with a german) to judge them and hate them when we dont even have a valid reason to do so!xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pure_Honey)
    I personall don't have anything against the Germans...at school about a week ago we had a holocaust survivor come and speak to us (Rudi Oppenheimer...he was a german jew and the most inspiring person I have had the pleasure of meeting) and he said that he has nothing against the germans because the ones living in germany at the moment arent the ones that were involved in the war and so therefore should not be hated just because of their ancestry...if this man who suffered for the whole of his childhood can find it in his heart to forgive the germans then who are we (most of us probably have never had sufficient contact with a german) to judge them and hate them when we dont even have a valid reason to do so!xxx
    And don't forget, there's also a better than average chance that he suffered at the hands of the Austrians who in fact formed the majority of extermination camp workers in most camps. For some reason the Austrians fely particularly attracted to this type of work.

ReputationRep:
    "They're great! Help to keep the numbers down and all."
    Howard i'm sure that's what you were thinking right?

ReputationRep:
    My ex is now going out with a German so I take the piss (not to their faces, obviously). I'm sure they're all lovely though.

And I'm sure she doesn't really have a moustache, no matter how many times I tell people she does.

ReputationRep:
    I personally have nothing against the germans...we had a guy come to our skl last week who was a holocaust survivor (Rudi Oppenheimer...a german Jew who spent the whole of his childhood in a concentration camp...the most inspiring person i've ever met!)We asked him if he still hated the germans and he said no because the germans living in germany at the moment aren't the ones who were involved in the war and he said that he didn't think they should be treated badly or hated just because of their ancestry!So, in my opinion if he can forgive the germans then who are we to have anything against them!xxx

ReputationRep:
    yep...Heidi Klum xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    World War 1 was just as much the fault of England as it was Germany, and World War 2 started as a result of the ramifications of the first. .
    What the hell are you talking about? Germany mobilized following Russian mobilization against them. It was only AFTER Germany mobilized against France that England entered the war. WWI was the fault of Germany as they had lost a grip on the international system following Bismarck's resignation. They were useless mediators in the Balkans after the Great Bismarck left, and through diplomatic blunders, were actually behind England supporting France. There is no way one can blame WWI on England.

ReputationRep:
    You do all realize how silly this discussion is, don't you? Nationalities are totally artificial categories, which only exist in our heads. There is no such thing as "the Germans" or "the English" or "the French" - those are just totally arbitrary labels that are we attach to ourselves, depending on where we happen to be born. It's all a bit random, and therefore it's clearly rediculous to ask for anyone's opinion on "the Germans", as you can't stick 82 Million people into one box...
    Whoever it was, at the start, who said "I don't know, I haven't met them all", had the right idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ericsimo)
    What the hell are you talking about? Germany mobilized following Russian mobilization against them. It was only AFTER Germany mobilized against France that England entered the war. WWI was the fault of Germany as they had lost a grip on the international system following Bismarck's resignation. They were useless mediators in the Balkans after the Great Bismarck left, and through diplomatic blunders, were actually behind England supporting France. There is no way one can blame WWI on England.
    thats certainly an interest intrepation of history. I agree that it wasnt britains fault but i disagree that it was germanys fault as well. i think you will find WW1 comes more from the lack of stablity and the failure to solve the problem being posed in Eastern Europe. The instablity and the question of nationality was a major cause. This can be back dated really to 1868 with Disraeli. The 2nd problem is the issue of secret alliance held in europe which led to the cascade of declearations of war and prevented international diplomacy from acting.

admitadly german expansion did play a part with its increasing military might and missions to moroco unnerving france and britain in particular.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.