The Student Room Group

How long do you revise for, and how long and regular are your breaks?

Scroll to see replies

About 2/3 hours a day leading up to the exam, weekend before the exam I usually go all in and smash out 6 hours on both days. It's all about the cramming.
Been doing 6-7 h every day for the past 2 weeks, gonna try to up that to 8-10h if I can.... Should've started earlier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
At the moment I'm splitting my revision into chunks, I revise for forty five minutes and then take a fifteen minute break. I think this is a reasonable amount of time as it can be difficult to concentrate for longer periods. I also only do six revision session in day and I when I'm done revising for the day I spend an hour playing video games to unwind.
It depends really. If it's close to the exam I just sit down and work solidly until I can't concentrate anymore. A month or so before, I'll try and fit in 25 minute sessions wherever I can.
At school I can do around 3 hours straight and I get so much done. Plus my concentration remains high and I rarely need a break.

At home.. HA. Its like 10minutes work and an hour break, I'm not even kidding. Hence I'll be forcing myself to the library during study leave.
Reply 25
Original post by gman10
I do the following each day:

8am-8.50 - revise
9am-9.50 - revise
10am-11 - music practice
11am-11.50 - revise
12am-12.50 - revise
1pm-1.30 - LUNCH
1.30-2.20 - revise
2.30-3.20 - revise
3.30-5 - GYM
5-5.50 - revise
6-6.50 - revise
6.50 - 7.30 - DINNER
7.30-8.20 - revise
8.30-9.20 - revise
FINISH!!!

Well, thats a lie because you posted that message at 9:10 when you're meant to be revising :wink:
I'm meant to be doing 45 minutes revision and then taking 10 minute breaks or so, but I can't discipline myself to revise properly without getting distracted so it's not working very well.
Reply 27
Depends where I go to revise really.

In my room:
Work for a few minutes, spend an hour procrastinating (like I am now). Realise I'm wasting time, curse myself, start working again. Ten minutes later, get food. Take an hours break. Back to work! Repeat cycle.
I literally get nothing done :sigh:

In the uni library:
Get to silent floor for about 7.30 am (seem to concentrate better early in the morning). Work till about 12.30 (I'll have a few 10 minute breaks, usually walk around, get a drink, call someone for a chat). Go back to flat for lunch, take about an hour and a half break. Go back and work till 5 pm.

I think seeing other people working really hard motivates me, plus when you have no T.V. / food / etc to distract you it's a lot easier to knuckle down. Seems to go a lot faster, too. :yes:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
I use the Pomodoro technique which my friend told me about. You work for 25 minutes and then have a 5 minute break. I use this timer. Although 5 minutes doesn't seem like much it is enough time to go and make a cup of coffee or what I like to do is have a Youtube video or TV episode open on another tab and I'll watch 5 minutes of it during the break.

I aim to do 5 25 minute slots (~2 hours) per subject a day and as I have 3 subjects to revise for it's around 6 hours. But it doesn't feel like I've done that much because of the frequent breaks lol.

I usually wake up pretty late (:colondollar:) and then eat then revise until dinner where I'll take like 30 minutes and then continue until 9/10pm and then I'll spend the rest of the evening relaxing.
I don't tend to go around a specific time frame. I work until I finish a goal, like notes for a certain section or until I feel like I really need a break. I do take plenty of time to relax though as if not I get too panicked and stressed because nothing seems to be going in.

On a school day, I'd go to the library after school until 5pm and then go home, eat and have around an hour 1/2 break. This is because if I go home straight after school you have the relax, achieve nothing for a while, well in my case anyway. But if I stay at school, I stay in work mode. But then I don't tend to give myself evenings to relax too much, I usually stop working at 10.30-11pm (I'm doing A-levels, so don't panic if you're doing GCSE's) and by that point i'm usually exhausted. I do sometimes watch films though.

But yeah in the day, set an alarm for 8.30/9, work with frequent breaks when I feel it necessary and don't overdo it! Try and make sure you distribute even time for exams too
Reply 30
I do 20 mins revising, 5 min break (times however many times it takes me to finish a chapter, usually four or five?) then 2 hour break, then repeat
Reply 31
Does anyone have a revision timetable template they can share please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending