joba-5
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi all,

I'm an EU student and currently holding an offer for the Master courses at LSE "Global Politics" and UCL "Global Governance & Ethics".

Are there any current/previous students who can give some infos about the both programs and maybe about the main differences (teaching, social life, ...)? A main issue are the costs. LSE fees are twice as high as UCL. But considering the reputation, I think LSE is slightly better in the field of politics (or am I wrong)?

Thanks!
joba-5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Here's another aspect: I hope to find a position in an IO (e.g. UN) later on. Do you have any idea which program/school has a better reputation for IOs?
Badges: 3
Report 8 years ago
If you don't get the responses you want from this forum, I would recommend you contact students at the universities. See if students have profiles on the department websites with email addresses. If not, contact the department and ask if they can put you in touch with some current students. They can give you a direct insight.
Gannicus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I know it's a tough decision, but if I were in your position, I'd choose UCL.

First of all, congratulations on your offers! I'll be attending UCL this fall for an MSc in Security Studies. LSE is a better school, but UCL is a terrific uni in its own right, and I personally chose it for the same reason I would have likely turned down LSE anyway: UCL's modules fit what I want and, as a purely post-graduate school of public policy, I have high expectations about learning from and working with some of the professors. On the other hand, I've spoken with many LSE alumni who are nevertheless quite satisfied with their education, and they all seem to agree that the school is run like a corporation and that their masters programs are just a way for the school to make money and fund research.

To come full circle and address both questions, it depends on what skills you want and if money is no issue. If money is an issue, I believe you should choose UCL and not look back. If getting employed is an issue, employers will respect degrees from both. So then it comes down to the skills you'll gain and your focus. UCL is also a terrific -- arguably, better than LSE -- place to study European politics, everything else remaining equal: Despite UCL's focus on both qualitative and quantitative methods (LSE makes you take fewer methods courses, which makes you harder to market to IOs), as well as an entire separate department (ESPS) dedicated to studying European politics. Also, UCL's in-house think tank, the Constitution Unit, is also respected and would be a logical place for you to intern while at school.

Best of luck with your decision.
Bhavesh Vaswani
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Whats your opinion on the MSc in Management at UCL Vs. other universities such as Cass Business school /Warwick which also have an MSc in Management.

I'd really appreciate an opinion from people studying in or considering going to UCL for a business program.
yuio-8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi joba-5,

I know this post is quite old but on the off chance you look back at it - I am in the exact same situation having to choose between both Global Politics at LSE and Global Governance & Ethics at UCL. Obviously typed in the same question into google and ended up here!

If you do get to this, I was just wondering which one you chose in the end and whether you would recommend it (or even, recommend it over the other if you found out more about that as well)?

Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (60)
29.27%
No (145)
70.73%

Watched Threads