Turn on thread page Beta

downloading from kazaa watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi ppl,
    iam a kazaa lite user and have read a few thing s that make me worry a little about getting sued for illegal downloading of music and movies etc. Dont get me wrong I know its ilegal and all that but Im making the most of it like every one else who uses it at the moment.
    I know that you can be found by your IP addres and that your ISP will give over your name and address but I was wondering what if you kept all the files you share/download on a separate removable drive would this protect you at all.If you get picked out to get done for file sharing do they not have to physically look on your hard drive or can they just upload something from you online and use that as evidence to get a conviction? I know its wrong and all that blah blah and I dont really care about opinions on it like the record companies make too much money anyway and all that *******s, what I want to know is does any one know the facts and is there anyway of protecting yourself from getting caught or not, simple as that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markie)
    Hi ppl,
    iam a kazaa lite user and have read a few thing s that make me worry a little about getting sued for illegal downloading of music and movies etc. Dont get me wrong I know its ilegal and all that but Im making the most of it like every one else who uses it at the moment.
    I know that you can be found by your IP addres and that your ISP will give over your name and address but I was wondering what if you kept all the files you share/download on a separate removable drive would this protect you at all.If you get picked out to get done for file sharing do they not have to physically look on your hard drive or can they just upload something from you online and use that as evidence to get a conviction? I know its wrong and all that blah blah and I dont really care about opinions on it like the record companies make too much money anyway and all that *******s, what I want to know is does any one know the facts and is there anyway of protecting yourself from getting caught or not, simple as that!
    dont worry about it you wont get caught

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markie)
    Hi ppl,
    It really is just people who access through proxies, such as those who use uni connections, ISPs still will not hand out your info. Anyway, your IP changes every time you log on, so you cannot be tracked through it.

ReputationRep:
    If your really worried you can stop sharing. but thats whats the p-2-p network works on. although, if you do stop sharing they cannot view your shared folder(i think).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowfactory100)
    If your really worried you can stop sharing. but thats whats the p-2-p network works on. although, if you do stop sharing they cannot view your shared folder(i think).
    surely they can still scan your ip?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    Anyway, your IP changes every time you log on,
    Not necessarily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Not necessarily.
    I've had the same IP for years. The police must be onto me.

Downloading music won't get you into trouble, it is the people who distribute it in large quantities that are targetted by the authorities, as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    surely they can still scan your ip?
    Your worry too much, your ip is dynamic, it will change every session, even with broadband. You can get a firewall which will stop your ip getting scanned, so you are essentially invisible.

ReputationRep:
    Your worry too much, your ip is dynamic, it will change every session, even with broadband. You can get a firewall which will stop your ip getting scanned, so you are essentially invisible.
    You can always work around a firewall if one is that determined.

ReputationRep:
    Not all broadband ips are dynamic. Mine is static. And you can still be quite easily traced with a dynamic ip anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaarrrggh)
    Not all broadband ips are dynamic. Mine is static. And you can still be quite easily traced with a dynamic ip anyway.
    true it is incredibly easy to scann dynamic ips

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest where the hell is that avatar from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Just out of interest where the hell is that avatar from?
    Heaven?

ReputationRep:
    Heaven?
    It is from cruel intentions isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    It is from cruel intentions isn't it?
    lol, we are having this same conversation in two different threads

ReputationRep:
    If your worried use Soulseek instead, it's not so big so the record companies don't care about it, and the files are generally of a higher quality so you'll actually benefit. But the only people who are going to get in trouble are those who download thousands of songs a day.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.