Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Since HIGNFY will be hitting our screens again next month, who's funnier?

ReputationRep:
    They work togather as a double/triple act... you reaslly need one to counter balance the other....

Ian is funny and says true revelent funny stuff, Paul just says the most random funny things...

Like paul and his tub of lard (replacement for Roy Hattersley)

Paul Merton: Never a frown, with Gordon Brown.

[After learning that a series has been tied at an equal number of games for each team]
    Stephen Fry: Well, why didn't you have an odd number of programmes, you idiot?

Ian: McDonald's are notoriously litigious(... allegedly)
    And who can forget the best esp ever... jsut after the scandel

""In case you haven't already realised, the loser of tonight's show is the presenter. The words pot, kettle, smug, git, good and kicking all come to mind.""

Even Ken Livingstone was funny "this is a day that Stephen Byers could have leaked more bad news".

The best show ever (... allegedly)

ReputationRep:
    I think Paul merton can be a bit grating sometimes, as can Hislop, but they work well together even though I'm never sure if they actually like each other or not.

I'm glad Angus Deaton (sp?) left, as I always thought he was a smug, arrogant ****. The episode after his scandal got out was sooo funny, when the other two had their special T-shirts on

I think that the celebrity guest hosts have been very good, with some people I thought would be poor actually turning out to be very entertaining.

ReputationRep:
    Merton is incredibly sharp and observant as any good comedian should be, Room 101 a great example.

Hislop however is great when he goes off on one of his zany rants about Blair or Prescott or something that gets to him, as if he has been bottling it up and has waited a whole week to blow off some steam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    I think Paul merton can be a bit grating sometimes, as can Hislop, but they work well together even though I'm never sure if they actually like each other or not.
    Thats true... its hard to see if it is an act or not... but it works...

I'm glad Angus Deaton (sp?) left, as I always thought he was a smug, arrogant ****. The episode after his scandal got out was sooo funny, when the other two had their special T-shirts on .
    I think his smugness was the funnest part, he worked well as a host.

I think that the celebrity guest hosts have been very good, with some people I thought would be poor actually turning out to be very entertaining.
    Charlotte Church was one of the worse presenters and I did feel sorry for her.

The best guest has to be Boris Johnson!!! So funny!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I lost respect from Hislop after his recent appearance on Question Time, I think he made a fool of himself. He's opinionated yes, but there's no need to make a prat of yourself being so.
    Ah, but that smile

You can't help but adore him when he does that smile, hehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I lost respect from Hislop after his recent appearance on Question Time, I think he made a fool of himself. He's opinionated yes, but there's no need to make a prat of yourself being so.
    I missed that one. What happened?

ReputationRep:
    I said to bring back Angus.

I agree with all those who said you can't really compare the two. The both just complement each other so well. Angus was the perfect host for the show and the three of them together made it absolutely fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the best (guest) presenters have been Boris, Ann Robbinson, Paul Daniels and George Bush (next series, I promise).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pal_sch)
    I think that the best (guest) presenters have been Boris, Ann Robbinson, Paul Daniels and George Bush (next series, I promise).
    Bush on HIGNFY... that would be priceless!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Bruce Forsyth was a great guest presenter too - when they had Ian Hislop doing the "Get Your Cards Right" Iraq themed game and he didn't have a clue what was going on. I love the show as a package though and I too miss Angus!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by txt_eva)

Charlotte Church was one of the worse presenters and I did feel sorry for her.

The best guest has to be Boris Johnson!!! So funny!
    i though charlote did ok she gave as good as she got in some cases. I was expectin it to be dire, but she wasn't too bad.

Boris has to be my fav too tho

ReputationRep:
    Im not a Jeremy Clarkson fan, but I thought he was the funniest 'stand-in' presenter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)
    Bruce Forsyth was a great guest presenter too - when they had Ian Hislop doing the "Get Your Cards Right" Iraq themed game and he didn't have a clue what was going on. I love the show as a package though and I too miss Angus!
    Damn, thats who I meant, not P.D. J.C was funny as hell to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pal_sch)
    Damn, thats who I meant, not P.D. J.C was funny as hell to.
    Hehe, Bruce Forsyth and Paul Daniels - they are easy to mix up.

Paula Yates to Ian Hislop: "Don't even look at me, you sperm of the devil!"

ReputationRep:
    I think they are too different. Ian Hislop is probably funnier on the political side, especially when he rants. Remember him gambling at the end of the last series and actually getting a sport question right, then winning a trip to Brussels and have a tour around the EU stuff. That was funny.

On the other hand, Paul Merton can just take random things and make them funny. Overall he probably gets more laughs.

I've liked the guest presenters. Charlotte Church was OK, but not great.
    Boris was funny but not the best.

Roll on the next series. I've missed HIGNFY. I know Bush would never be the presenter, but why not get the Dead Ringers team to do it? That would be great.

ReputationRep:
    i though charlote did ok she gave as good as she got in some cases. I was expectin it to be dire, but she wasn't too bad.

Boris has to be my fav too tho
    To be honest she didn't stand a chance... they just took the mick the whole way thru,.... she did try but... well.... poor thing.

ReputationRep:
    Brucie was a classic presenter on there, although he could never do it more than as a guest, as it was so tacky.

I think its hard to compare the types of humour they have, as they are intentionally different.

Vote for Boris as the next permanent host!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    Vote for Boris as the next permanent host!
    YAY! I'll second that!!

ReputationRep:
    both of them are very clever and funny but i prefer mertons humour

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.