The Student Room Group

Astrophysics MSc 'how to?' misery...

Dear Students
I want to do an astrophysics MSc in research leading to a PhD.
I am a Physics-Philosophy BSc Hons graduate (2:2, Keele 1997) in my forties, eager to improve on my 2:2 BSc result (I had a breakdown mid-degree, some say I did well to finish, and after that I was no longer on course for a 1st in physics). I might be classed as disabled panic attacks etc, am long term unemployed and a little in debt. My problems regarding postgraduate study are:
1. I wish to remain living at home and there is no suitable course locally.
2. I need funding,
and
3. The entry requirement must be a 2:2.
I have just discovered the possibility of 'distance learning' and am investigating. If Manchester
uni [or any other decent uni] did this - or will do - it would be ideal. I am prepared to wait. I have just passed a business admin certificate and was joint top throughout the course after not having seriously studied since 1997. I have 11 GCE O levels (including 2x AO levels) and 5 A levels. Please can you advise me. Many thanks for your help and time.
Best regards,
Dekka97
(edited 10 years ago)
Doubt anyone here will know the answer. You'd be best asking the universities if they propose to offer such degrees. Your biggest problem is funding. Masters level funding is very hard to come by. In areas such as astrophysics the best chances for funding are from a potential employer. That is going to be difficult given your various personal circumstances.

What is your purpose in wanting to doing an astrophysics degree?
Original post by Dekka97
Dear Students
I am a Physics-Philosophy BSc Hons graduate (2:2, Keele 1997) in my forties, eager to improve on my 2:2 BSc result (I had a breakdown mid-degree, some say I did well to finish, and after that I was no longer on course for a 1st in physics). I might be classed as disabled panic attacks etc, am long term unemployed and a little in debt. My problems regarding postgraduate study are:
2. I need funding,
and
I have just discovered the possibility of 'distance learning' and am investigating. If Manchester
uni [or any other decent uni] did this - or will do - it would be ideal. I am prepared to wait. I have just passed a business admin certificate and was joint top throughout the course after not having seriously studied since 1997. I have 11 GCE O levels (including 2x AO levels) and 5 A levels. Please can you advise me. Many thanks for your help and time.
Best regards,
Dekka97

Liverpool John Moores ARI (astrophysics research institute) do distance learning, I know this because the PhD students get paid to mark some of the work. I'm not sure if this is just for undegrad, or for masters too, but it's worth asking :smile:
To be honest, I know it's not the news you're after, but I don't know if there will be any masters degrees out there that could also offer you funding, sadly. I think there are only 3/4 unis that offer a stand-alone Masters in astro since most Physics degrees can be done as 4 year 'MPhys' qualifications these days, and on top of that funding for Masters degrees is incredibly difficult to come by.
I'd say just email the universities directly and ask about their courses/funding/entry requirements.. but (without trying to sound patronising!) have a think about what your motivations are (because even if you got funding it would probably only just cover your tuition fees or maybe 'student style' living expenses if you get lucky) - and if you're ready for the stress that a Masters will bring.
Do you do astronomy as a hobby? You should look into your local society if you're not already a member :smile:
Have you considered doing a Masters part time? Then you could earn money at the same time and wouldn't be as dependent on funding.
Best of luck
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Dekka97
Dear Students
2. I need funding,
and
Best regards,
Dekka97

As TheRandomer said, MSc funding is impossible to come by for physics, and very few universities offer stand alone MSc courses in physics or astrophysics. However, if you would be willing to move, I know UCL offer a PGDip in Astrophysics that allows entry with a 2.2, which can be turned into a full MSc degree. This can be done part time over two years, so you could have a job alongside it to fund it.
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I want to work in astrophysics research following up the masters with a research degree. Just found out that the open uni may be able to do this. Thanks all, regards, Dekka97

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending