The Student Room Group

Volunteering Abroad - Advice Please!

Hi,

I'm looking to volunteer abroad working with children in orphanages and similar, at the moment I've been thinking of Morocco (Marrakech or Rabat), but am open to other destinations. I have been browsing the internet for work with children and I've found a lot of different websites such as 'Original Volunteers', 'Projects Abroad' and 'Plan My Gap Year'. However, after reading some reviews of the websites I'm not so sure that they're legit.

I would really appreciate some advice on some possible options for me as I do want to travel in July 2013, so I would like to get something booked soon.

Thanks, Hannah!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hanki92
Hi,

I'm looking to volunteer abroad working with children in orphanages and similar, at the moment I've been thinking of Morocco (Marrakech or Rabat), but am open to other destinations. I have been browsing the internet for work with children and I've found a lot of different websites such as 'Original Volunteers', 'Projects Abroad' and 'Plan My Gap Year'. However, after reading some reviews of the websites I'm not so sure that they're legit.

I would really appreciate some advice on some possible options for me as I do want to travel in July 2013, so I would like to get something booked soon.

Thanks, Hannah!

Hi Hannah!

If you want to travel this summer you're pretty late and I don't think you will get onto any real projects. The truth of it all is that all these companies you've mentioned are nothing more than companies making money (I think so anyway).

The best thing for you to do now would be to contact an orphanage somewhere you would like to go and arrange it yourself.

The only real volunteer projects I know of are the ones which take place through ICS Placements or with these companies:

International Service
Progressio
Raleigh International
Restless Development
Tearfund
VSO

Give those a google, make some calls and see what you can do. The best way to actually make a difference is usually to set it up yourself though.
Reply 2
Original post by pizzle223
Hi Hannah!

If you want to travel this summer you're pretty late and I don't think you will get onto any real projects. The truth of it all is that all these companies you've mentioned are nothing more than companies making money (I think so anyway).

The best thing for you to do now would be to contact an orphanage somewhere you would like to go and arrange it yourself.

The only real volunteer projects I know of are the ones which take place through ICS Placements or with these companies:

International Service
Progressio
Raleigh International
Restless Development
Tearfund
VSO

Give those a google, make some calls and see what you can do. The best way to actually make a difference is usually to set it up yourself though.

Thanks, I'm having a look now. Have you ever done this yourself?
Hannah.
Reply 3
Original post by hanki92
Thanks, I'm having a look now. Have you ever done this yourself?
Hannah.

I'm going to India in a month from today :biggrin: With Raleigh International through the ICS programme. But believe me, like you, I spent a long time looking into it all and trying to find legitimate charities but it seems that most are just looking to rip you off. Only the ICS programmes seem to be genuine. I'd hate to go to a country after raising a load of money and find out what I'm doing isn't worth while.
Reply 4
I'm going to India in a month from today :biggrin: With Raleigh International through the ICS programme. But believe me, like you, I spent a long time looking into it all and trying to find legitimate charities but it seems that most are just looking to rip you off. Only the ICS programmes seem to be genuine. I'd hate to go to a country after raising a load of money and find out what I'm doing isn't worth while.

i'm interested in the ICS when i'm 18 as it's something i really want to do, but i'm scared i won't get accepted, what kind of volunteer experience did you have before you applied and how much in advance did you apply?
Reply 5
Original post by mollyx
i'm interested in the ICS when i'm 18 as it's something i really want to do, but i'm scared i won't get accepted, what kind of volunteer experience did you have before you applied and how much in advance did you apply?

As far as I could tell most people get in! Although don't take my word on that.

I had an assessment day in London around early Feb which was basically just team building excessive and seeing how you interact with other people and i guess just to get a general idea of you as a person.

Then once I got accepted I had to attend a training weekend in south London in mid April which was again more team building things and info on what to expect, ideas on raising money, differences in culture. I think a lot of it is making sure you'll be cool with 11 other people for 10 weeks.

Once we get to India we have a weeks training there before we go into a rural village in groups of 6 English people and 6 Indians.

If you really want to up your chances do some volunteering here in the UK and maybe some independent travelling. I travelled a lot in the summer and volunteered over 200 hours in the last 9 months.

Also I have a criminal record and have made some bad decisions in my lifebut I Raleigh International look past all that and like to give everyone equal opportunities. So for anyone who thinks they don't have a chance, YOU DO!

Best of luck everyone! I'll be happy to answer any questions you have but there isn't much more I can tell you until I leave.
Reply 6
I've looked into the ICS programmes, but unfortunately I can't take that much time off work, I've found a programme on the Raleigh website that only lasts 5 weeks though, but it isn't through ICS so I'm just wondering if it's still legit etc.

http://www.raleighinternational.org/what-we-do/raleigh-expeditions/aged-17-24

What do you think?
Reply 7
As far as I could tell most people get in! Although don't take my word on that.

I had an assessment day in London around early Feb which was basically just team building excessive and seeing how you interact with other people and i guess just to get a general idea of you as a person.

Then once I got accepted I had to attend a training weekend in south London in mid April which was again more team building things and info on what to expect, ideas on raising money, differences in culture. I think a lot of it is making sure you'll be cool with 11 other people for 10 weeks.

Once we get to India we have a weeks training there before we go into a rural village in groups of 6 English people and 6 Indians.

If you really want to up your chances do some volunteering here in the UK and maybe some independent travelling. I travelled a lot in the summer and volunteered over 200 hours in the last 9 months.

Also I have a criminal record and have made some bad decisions in my lifebut I Raleigh International look past all that and like to give everyone equal opportunities. So for anyone who thinks they don't have a chance, YOU DO!

Best of luck everyone! I'll be happy to answer any questions you have but there isn't much more I can tell you until I leave.

What kind of volunteer work did you do?? As i'm under 18. so theres few volunteer opportunities open to me :frown:
I would love to be accepted onto it!! How far in advance did you apply? Thank you for your help! :smile:
Reply 8
Hi,

I've looked at the ICS programmes and unfortunately I can't have that much time off of work, but I have found another volunteer opportunity on the Raleigh website which is just five weeks. I'm just unsure whether it's still legit, etc.

What do you think?
Reply 9
Original post by mollyx
What kind of volunteer work did you do?? As i'm under 18. so theres few volunteer opportunities open to me :frown:
I would love to be accepted onto it!! How far in advance did you apply? Thank you for your help! :smile:

I looked into it about this time last year, pretty early. I'm not sure when I applied thought, it was as soon as I could. Maybe November but I'm not sure.

Well I started Uni in September so I had a lot of opportunities to do some volunteer work. I did a number of collections at the uni, volunteered at Oxfams OxJam festival which is held in cities all over the UK, took part in Oxfams London Mega Raid (street collection) and just put myself out their to help out in the Uni's Raising and Giving (RAG) society.

I'm not sure what the laws are but I'm sure you could volunteer locally in your area. Try contacting your local council to see how you can help. Or ask if you can help out in maybe some schools (including your own/old school), orphanages, old peoples homes. Anything you can do will give you a better chance I'd imagine.

I think the main thing is that you seem like a nice person, you'll be able to handle the harsh climates, you'll be able to adapt to a different culture, you're accepting of others and tolerant, and you'll be able to deal with the same people for 10 weeks without killing anyone!

You seem like a nice girl though so I'm sure you'll do fine.
Reply 10
I looked into it about this time last year, pretty early. I'm not sure when I applied thought, it was as soon as I could. Maybe November but I'm not sure.

Well I started Uni in September so I had a lot of opportunities to do some volunteer work. I did a number of collections at the uni, volunteered at Oxfams OxJam festival which is held in cities all over the UK, took part in Oxfams London Mega Raid (street collection) and just put myself out their to help out in the Uni's Raising and Giving (RAG) society.

I'm not sure what the laws are but I'm sure you could volunteer locally in your area. Try contacting your local council to see how you can help. Or ask if you can help out in maybe some schools (including your own/old school), orphanages, old peoples homes. Anything you can do will give you a better chance I'd imagine.

I think the main thing is that you seem like a nice person, you'll be able to handle the harsh climates, you'll be able to adapt to a different culture, you're accepting of others and tolerant, and you'll be able to deal with the same people for 10 weeks without killing anyone!

You seem like a nice girl though so I'm sure you'll do fine.

Aww i see, so what month did you go out there?
Yeah, i've applied to volunteer for girl scouts, and some other things too i've applied for! And also in july i've got some work experience for a local school, if that counts?

and aw thank you, i think i'll be able to adapt to it too, and i've always wanted to do this! so i hope i get accepted!!

What kind of activities did you take part in whilst out there??
Original post by hanki92
Hi,

I've looked at the ICS programmes and unfortunately I can't have that much time off of work, but I have found another volunteer opportunity on the Raleigh website which is just five weeks. I'm just unsure whether it's still legit, etc.

What do you think?

It's hard to say really, but for the amount of money you could do so much more. In terms of both travelling and helping people/animal/whateveryouwant.

Well actually maybe not much more for 5 weeks so I guess it's really up to you. Put it this way you could do 2 months in West Europe, in East and 3 Months in Asia or Africa. But this would be on your own. I'm sure Raleigh will offer you a sense of safety if not comfort though and that is something I can't put a price on. It's all up to you really though and what you want to get out of your experience.

Are you hoping to help people, see nature, experience other cultures, meet people or whatever. It's these factors which should help you make your mind up. If you want to experience a number of different cultures I'd say Interrail Eastern/Central Europe and The Balkans. If you want a big culture shock head to Asia. In reality you'll cover most of those things no matter what you do but it's all up to you. Raleigh doesn't seem like they'll be ripping you off as once you've spent the £1,800 I can't imagine you'd need anymore money (other than the flights etc) as food and accommodation is included. Although I'm still pretty sure Raleigh get a lot of money from it all, but it does get put to good use (I hope!)
Reply 12
Okay, thanks a lot!

This is a different Raleigh opportunity, via the ICS.
http://www.raleighinternational.org/what-we-do/raleigh-ics

What do you think?
Reply 13
Try http://www.volunteerhq.org/whyivhq.html

Programmes seem quite affordable and definitely legit, as friends have been with them!
Original post by hanki92
Okay, thanks a lot!

This is a different Raleigh opportunity, via the ICS.
http://www.raleighinternational.org/what-we-do/raleigh-ics

What do you think?

That's the same thing I'm doing, it all seems good to me! Like I said you're too late to get on this summers programme, although give them a call/email. I'll give you a direct link or an ICS contact if you like.

And QUOTE me in posts on this thread otherwise I won't notice them :wink:
Original post by James941
Try http://www.volunteerhq.org/whyivhq.html

Programmes seem quite affordable and definitely legit, as friends have been with them!

Again these don't seem terribly expensive and I'm sure the experience would be great but if you want to make the most difference you're better off organising the whole thing yourself.
Reply 16
That's the same thing I'm doing, it all seems good to me! Like I said you're too late to get on this summers programme, although give them a call/email. I'll give you a direct link or an ICS contact if you like.

And QUOTE me in posts on this thread otherwise I won't notice them :wink:

Sorry! :smile:

When do you leave then, July? You'll have to let me know how it all goes so I know what to expect for next year!

Do you think the programme will accept couples as I would prefer to go with my boyfriend.

Thanks!
Original post by hanki92
Sorry! :smile:

When do you leave then, July? You'll have to let me know how it all goes so I know what to expect for next year!

Do you think the programme will accept couples as I would prefer to go with my boyfriend.

Thanks!

June 24th - Sept 1st I'll be gone!

I know for 100% fact they definitely will NOT accept couples. You sign up to 10 weeks of NO sex, drugs, meat, electricity or toilet seats.

Remind me in September! My typing skill may be forgotten by then, haha
Hi all,
I'm headed down to London for an ICS Raleigh assessment day on Wednesday. Excited but also terrified I won't get in! You fill in the online application and they seem to get back to you pretty quickly, I said I'd prefer to work with VSO or Raleigh.
Having researched a lot of international volunteering opportunities for my gap year this is definitely the best i've come across and in my personal opinion you get a lot for your money (or in my case lack of), as it's aimed at giving everyone equal chances. Fingers crossed!
Reply 19
June 24th - Sept 1st I'll be gone!I know for 100% fact they definitely will NOT accept couples. You sign up to 10 weeks of NO sex, drugs, meat, electricity or toilet seats. Remind me in September! My typing skill may be forgotten by then, haha

Okay, I understand. Would they accept two friends though, if the two of you applied together? Would they split the two friends up?

Quick Reply

Latest