The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College London FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Secretly, the only reason I want to apply to Imperial is to be close to the Royal Albert Hall so I can go to Eric Clapton's annual residency every year... :colondollar:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 261
Original post by EleaGR
I don't really know the answer. The postgrad programmes have different conditions.

I will tag a couple of TSR members that may be able to help you.

@PQ @Admit-One Can you help?

Thank you very much! :wink:
Original post by nick_w
It was actually postgrad - would that make a difference? (had applied Msc Advanced Computing - not sure if that's too competitive to get into)
If i try again this year, do i need to rewrite everything, including reference letter? (I believe so?)

You can submit exactly the same application again if you wish, however this could be quite risky unless you have a clear understanding of why you were unsuccessful the first time around.

Even if you believe it was only related to missing their deadline, I would encourage you to contact them and get as much feedback as possible. After all, there is no point wasting months only to find that your personal statement required further attention.
Reply 263
Original post by Admit-One
You can submit exactly the same application again if you wish, however this could be quite risky unless you have a clear understanding of why you were unsuccessful the first time around.

Even if you believe it was only related to missing their deadline, I would encourage you to contact them and get as much feedback as possible. After all, there is no point wasting months only to find that your personal statement required further attention.

Cool, Thanks for advice, let me try to ask if they might be giving some feedback.
Reply 264
Hi. Didn’t meet my offer. I’m going to appeal, but can’t really trust this system. So, now I’m starting to plan what’s next. I got my insurance - King’s College London. It’s a really good uni and I know there are lots of people who might dream about it, but I can’t get Imperial out of my head. I’m thinking about transferring after my first year at King’s. I read about it online, but I want to get the whole picture: How it works? What’s needed? How likely I’ll be accepted? Do I need to start the course from first year? And anything else that might be helpful. What if while studying at King’s I’ll be going through the course at Imperial, will it increase my chances of getting in? Btw I’m absolutely fine with starting from first year. Forgot to mention - I’m doing Computer science, if it’s important. Thank you!
Hi, I’m a year 13 student hoping to study civil engineering at imperial. Since the pandemic has caused us to be out of school for 6 months I am scared about jumping into a uni like imperial in autumn. I wanted to know what it was like settling into imperial and how the jump was from sixth form to uni. If the jump is challenging before I’m worried how I’m going to cope in this years situation seeing as I’m not some gifted student and I really have to work hard to do well. Are we expected to be perfect or is there support to help us keep up.

Also if anyone does do civil engineering could you tell me which a level modules in maths, further maths and physics are heaviest in the course and if there are any modules at a level that you simply don’t touch at uni. I’m trying to make sure I’m prepared for autumn.

Thanks
Original post by MiKB
Hi. Didn’t meet my offer. I’m going to appeal, but can’t really trust this system. So, now I’m starting to plan what’s next. I got my insurance - King’s College London. It’s a really good uni and I know there are lots of people who might dream about it, but I can’t get Imperial out of my head. I’m thinking about transferring after my first year at King’s. I read about it online, but I want to get the whole picture: How it works? What’s needed? How likely I’ll be accepted? Do I need to start the course from first year? And anything else that might be helpful. What if while studying at King’s I’ll be going through the course at Imperial, will it increase my chances of getting in? Btw I’m absolutely fine with starting from first year. Forgot to mention - I’m doing Computer science, if it’s important. Thank you!

This strategy is quite popular but to make it work you need retake the A-levels (or your appeal to be successful) and meet the requirements. In which case you'll likely get an offer but if you don't retake the A-levels you won't get in. You'll get into year 1 and not year 2 unfortunately.
Original post by Charlotte_jh
Hi, I’m a year 13 student hoping to study civil engineering at imperial. Since the pandemic has caused us to be out of school for 6 months I am scared about jumping into a uni like imperial in autumn. I wanted to know what it was like settling into imperial and how the jump was from sixth form to uni. If the jump is challenging before I’m worried how I’m going to cope in this years situation seeing as I’m not some gifted student and I really have to work hard to do well. Are we expected to be perfect or is there support to help us keep up.

Also if anyone does do civil engineering could you tell me which a level modules in maths, further maths and physics are heaviest in the course and if there are any modules at a level that you simply don’t touch at uni. I’m trying to make sure I’m prepared for autumn.

Thanks

Hi charlotte, if you were a stellar student in high school (you probably were as you got in Imperial) I wouldn't worry too much. During the first year, just make sure you get used to a work routine quickly so you don't fall weeks behind (you'll see some people will be!) -- first year isn't tough by itself, you just need to get used to the university learning style. Go to support groups, office hours, tutorials, keep up with the voluntary homework and you'll be more than ok. 2nd year is definitely tougher for most courses at Imperial tho.
Original post by Zottula

Applying

University life

Accommodation

If you have any questions that are not answered, feel free to post them here. If the same questions come up frequently then I shall add them to this post, along with anything else I can think of later.

I am a student who is keen on studying at Imperial College and intend to apply in the near future, specifically to the ‘G700 MEng Computing (Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning)' undergraduate course.

I understand that applicants may have to undertake the STEP exam with their offers, however, after sending the college FOI requests and contacting admissions, it was unclear if students applying to this specific course took the STEP exam and which STEP level they were required to do.

I would appreciate if yourself and a few others you know - who are taking this specific course/have done in the past - could answer the following questions:

1. Did you also do Mathematics and Further Mathematics A-Level or Mathematics alone?
2. Were you required to take the STEP exam to apply to this course/after you received an offer?
3. If so, which STEP level were you required to take (STEP 1, 2, or 3)?

Thanks.
Hi Charlotte,
I'm a Civil Engineer at Imperial :smile:
It isn't an easy course! I'm someone who went in with 3a* and still almost failed the first year! It's hard but I'm sure similar to most Civil Engineering courses across the country..
Heaviest are mechanics for sure. But we do a maths module which is basically FP1 and FP2 plus a little extra.
I wouldn't worry too much about preparing!
If you have any other questions - feel free to ask :smile:

Original post by Charlotte_jh

Thanks
Original post by sam3118
Hi Charlotte,
I'm a Civil Engineer at Imperial :smile:
It isn't an easy course! I'm someone who went in with 3a* and still almost failed the first year! It's hard but I'm sure similar to most Civil Engineering courses across the country..
Heaviest are mechanics for sure. But we do a maths module which is basically FP1 and FP2 plus a little extra.
I wouldn't worry too much about preparing!
If you have any other questions - feel free to ask :smile:

could someone do the same as this but for aeronautical engineering please?
Hi, I've heard that Imperial do cadaver dissections for Medical Biosciences BSc - is this true?
The person who told me couldn't find her source afterwards, and I've found nothing about it on the website, but I just wanted to find out.
Thank you!
Original post by izzylight
Hi, I've heard that Imperial do cadaver dissections for Medical Biosciences BSc - is this true?
The person who told me couldn't find her source afterwards, and I've found nothing about it on the website, but I just wanted to find out.
Thank you!

My daughter who is a final year student at Imperial's MedBio course did not do any cadaver dissections.
Thank you!

My daughter who is a final year student at Imperial MedBio course did not do any cadaver dissections. Hope this helps!
Original post by EleaGR
My daughter who is a final year student at Imperial MedBio course did not do any cadaver dissections. Hope this helps!

Ah thank you! If you don't mind me asking, what does she want to do after her degree?
Ah thank you! If you don't mind me asking, what does she want to do after her degree?

She's going for Neuroscience. She is particularly interested in neurodegenerative diseases.
Original post by Adedots
could someone do the same as this but for aeronautical engineering please?

Hi! I'm Anudi, a current aeronautical engineering student.

I found the first year to be pretty math-heavy, but that is because I had not taken further maths for A-levels. Those who had studied it in school knew most of the first-year maths content and so it was more like revision for them. In addition to maths, we had a mechanics module as well - it starts off pretty similar to A-level mechanics and then moves onto some new stuff, like orbital mechanics (which is pretty cool!)

We also had modules that covered concepts that were entirely new, such as thermodynamics, structural analysis and aerodynamics. However, with a bit of practice via tutorials and past papers I was able to get the hang of it.

Overall, workload is quite high in the degree, but you do have a lot of support- such as your personal tutor, senior tutor and wellbeing advisor among other support services in the university, such as the counselling service and many others. In my opinion, though the topics are difficult when you first come across it, with some practice you can get the hang of it - you just have to commit to spending some time on it.

That said, I must stress that everyone's experience is different and what I've described above is my own. You may find it entirely different! I'd also like to point out that my first year was before the curriculum was changed in 2019, and so the current first year curriculum is different to what it was when I completed my first year. Therefore, modules may be very different to the above. If you'd like to have a look at the modules currently being taught, have a look at this: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/aeronautics/study/ug/current-students/modules/h401/.

Hope this has helped!
Hi I want to apply to biomedical engineering at Imperial but I don't study biology. If I do manage to get an interview, would they ask a lot of questions related to biology during my one to one interview or would it be mainly maths, physics and chemistry based? I study maths, further maths, physics and chemistry for reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending