*Official* AQA D&T Resistant Materials June 7th 2013 Discussion Thread Watch

Celestial_Blade
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello my fellow students! I go some next crappy school, and we haven't even covered a single topic in the syllabus. However I've been teaching my self. So far I managed to get an A in my coursework, the only student who passed lool everyone got D and bellow. I want to aspire for an A* but I've realized there is a lack of resources and help online and in real life. What do you students have to offer for preparation of the Exam?

Thank you all and have a good day.
Celestial_Blade
Rep:
?
What the F*** where are the posts? Why the hell was this moved. This is GCSE not Arts.
Prof Dumbledore
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well here are a few resources i obtained last year for my exam:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Uk&usp=sharing
It has a quiz of all the tools you need to know, a help sheet and model answer for the mass production question and a glossary of key terms.

The main thing about the exam you should do to get top marks is to fully plan out section A (or 1 or whatever it was called, basically the first section) so that means you pre-decide your design spec based on your preliminary material about Art Deco and the storage/transportation of small items. You also should draw and memorise your 5 designs you will be drawing, fully develop one for the next question, and then do a spec check for question 4. If you have practised this all then you'll get full marks in the first section.

For the second section, learn all the different materials && their uses, types of adhesives, etc stuff like that, and definitely manufacturing processes as you'll get a question on that. I suggest you use the AQA DT Resistant Materials Student book if you can get it, it was a life saver for my exam! Since i got an A* and everyone else in my year literally failed, so i was in a similar situation Anyway good luck and if you.anyone needs any help feel free to ask me

Good Luck everyone!
Celestial_Blade
Rep:
?
(Original post by Prof Dumbledore)
Well here are a few resources i obtained last year for my exam:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Uk&usp=sharing
It has a quiz of all the tools you need to know, a help sheet and model answer for the mass production question and a glossary of key terms.

The main thing about the exam you should do to get top marks is to fully plan out section A (or 1 or whatever it was called, basically the first section) so that means you pre-decide your design spec based on your preliminary material about Art Deco and the storage/transportation of small items. You also should draw and memorise your 5 designs you will be drawing, fully develop one for the next question, and then do a spec check for question 4. If you have practised this all then you'll get full marks in the first section.

For the second section, learn all the different materials && their uses, types of adhesives, etc stuff like that, and definitely manufacturing processes as you'll get a question on that. I suggest you use the AQA DT Resistant Materials Student book if you can get it, it was a life saver for my exam! Since i got an A* and everyone else in my year literally failed, so i was in a similar situation Anyway good luck and if you.anyone needs any help feel free to ask me

Good Luck everyone!
You sir, are an ABSOLUTE LEGEND!!! Thank you so much for the model answer of the mass-production question. Wow, I was looking all over the internet for answering the question and no luck Thanks!
Prof Dumbledore
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Celestial_Blade)
You sir, are an ABSOLUTE LEGEND!!! Thank you so much for the model answer of the mass-production question. Wow, I was looking all over the internet for answering the question and no luck Thanks!
Hahahaha that just made my day You're very welcome, i'm glad i could help you out, and yeah that one wasn't on the internet, my teacher gave it to me You're welcome, do us proud and ace the exam now!

btw i might have some more resources, i'll tell you if i find anything.
Celestial_Blade
Rep:
?
(Original post by Prof Dumbledore)
Hahahaha that just made my day You're very welcome, i'm glad i could help you out, and yeah that one wasn't on the internet, my teacher gave it to me You're welcome, do us proud and ace the exam now!

btw i might have some more resources, i'll tell you if i find anything.
Ok thanks bro
Dilan97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can anyone upload some of there art-deco designs? I'm a bit stuck and need some inspiration D:
Celestial_Blade
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dilan97)
Can anyone upload some of there art-deco designs? I'm a bit stuck and need some inspiration D:
Same here mate. I haven't started doing any art Deco designs because I've been focusing on my other exams. But I'll try to.

I guess if we practice typical 3D shapes but add a bit of art Deco art onto it, then we could manipulate it for any application I guess whether it be a storage unit or whatever.
gloria0816
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Celestial_Blade)

i can't seem to open the documents =(
HASSANATOR
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi,
could someone please upload their Art Deco designs

Struggling
Dilan97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by HASSANATOR)
Hi,
could someone please upload their Art Deco designs

Struggling
I second that, anyone?
Strokgh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do we need to know about smart materials for the exam? I'm freaking out, my teacher hasn't taught us anything I think we're probably gonna be asked to design a jewellery box type thing, but that came up last year...
gloria0816
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dilan97)
I second that, anyone?

struggling too!! as this years task is not specific enough!!
Dilan97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Strokgh)
Do we need to know about smart materials for the exam? I'm freaking out, my teacher hasn't taught us anything I think we're probably gonna be asked to design a jewellery box type thing, but that came up last year...
Yes, pretty much anything on Bitesize go to 'GCSE' then 'Design and Technology' then 'Resistant Materials'.
gloria0816
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
do we need to know all the technical name for different types of plastics under thernosetting and thermoplastics, such as polyvinyl chloride, nylon, polystyrene etc
CRonaldo
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can you guys help me, im sure I an sketch a few ideas but what exactly does one class as 'holding of small items'?
arcelormittal
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have a few questions: do you need to colour render your designs or is it optional?
Also, what ideas have you guys got for art deco? OK, sure google images has lots of stuff, but what fits our briefs? Here's what i got:

-suitcase
-box
-bag
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
im doomed
Strokgh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by arcelormittal)
I have a few questions: do you need to colour render your designs or is it optional?
Also, what ideas have you guys got for art deco? OK, sure google images has lots of stuff, but what fits our briefs? Here's what i got:

-suitcase
-box
-bag
I doubt they'd give us bag as resistant materials is more focused on woods, metals and plastics than fabrics
Prof Dumbledore
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This website is really good for revision if anyone needs some final revision: http://www.technologystudent.com/joints/joindex.htm Also if you scroll down to the art deco theme title then there are many examples of different designs you could use as your own with some modifications. Good luck everyone for tomorrow
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (99)
24.26%
No (309)
75.74%

Watched Threads