Turn on thread page Beta

Footballers And Doctors watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Football in this country has decreased racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    true

ReputationRep:
    All it has done is encourage political correctness - In my view this encourages racism and isolates ethnic minorities even more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono_3)
    All it has done is encourage political correctness - In my view this encourages racism and isolates ethnic minorities even more.

How has it encouraged political correctness?

ReputationRep:
    this is another debatable topic, but hey im too tired to think about anything right now so anyways bono hows u doin m8?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    this is another debatable topic, but hey im too tired to think about anything right now so anyways bono hows u doin m8?
    Not bad thanks.

ReputationRep:
    So, in terms of say, which job is more prestige, I would say doctors are more prestige and noble... but when it comes to money spinning, and spuring economic developments... footballers are the ones.

Their ability to command such a high salary doesn't surprise me. Where there is demand for it, the price will rise [basic economics].

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    How has it encouraged political correctness?
    Football makes big deal about racism
    Politics becomes involved
    They say "Football fans should stop being racist", they make harsher punishments.
    People purposefully steer clear of talking about other races and they make special allowances for other races.
    They do certain things for ethnic minorities, which makes them feel singled out to the others and all it does is highlight racial tension even more.

ReputationRep:
    as i said before we need to keep in mind that an average doctor gets more money than an average footballer, only a small percentage of football players (those in top leagues) get an amazing amount of money. There are also famous doctors, who get outgrageous amount of money too.

ReputationRep:
    as i said before we need to keep in mind that an average doctor gets more money than an average footballer.
    Didn't know that.

ReputationRep:
    Football makes big deal about racism
    Politics becomes involved
    They say "Football fans should stop being racist", they make harsher punishments.
    People purposefully steer clear of talking about other races and they make special allowances for other races.
    They do certain things for ethnic minorities, which makes them feel singled out to the others and all it does is highlight racial tension even more.
    I think the first three are true. I don't agree with the last 2.
    Football "makes a big deal about racism" because it is a big problem. Therefore politicians get involved. Football fans (and everyone else) should stop being racist. Punishments for racists should be quite harsh.

There is nothing wrong with political correctness, as long as it doesn't go overboard.
    I think football possibly has decreased racism to some extent. Some of the best and most respected footballers are black. There are however very few Asian footballers etc. in Britain. I'm not suggesting for one moment that "special allowances" should be made.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't know that.
    i have to say that in england , maybe its due to nhs, and so little private spending on healthcare, doctors seem to earn less than in other countries. From where i come from, lots of private spending on healthcare, doctors are very rich, they are busnessman basically, and same with many places e.g. usa

ReputationRep:
    Bono is wrong.

Football has decreased racism because fans cheer on their players. The presence of culturally diverse football players increases acceptance.

ReputationRep:
    i have to say that in england , maybe its due to nhs, and so little private spending on healthcare, doctors seem to earn less than in other countries. From where i come from, lots of private spending on healthcare, doctors are very rich, they are busnessman basically, and same with many places e.g. usa
    yeah i agree with you totally. the difference is that the NHS is not a business and run by the government but private investment is. so they're never gonna have as much money, its just the way teh world is.

ReputationRep:
    Bono is wrong.

Football has decreased racism because fans cheer on their players. The presence of culturally diverse football players increases acceptance.
    yeah i think so too, especially when young kids are watching football and see all kinds of people from a young age.

ReputationRep:
    erm think about the career of a footballer, firstly only a tiny percentage get paid ridious amounts that you hear in the paper, and that i imagine is the same for doctors. ie the top brain surgeon in the world i doubt is short of money in any way. 2ndly think about how long a footballers career is? it only lasts say 12 years where they are actually earning serious money and most do not have any over skills or qualifications other than their ability to play football, so are on very little after retiring.

based on these facts their wages are justified. if they werent economically viable then they wouldnt be paid that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarjazz)
    Football should be banned. There should just be a salary cap; no footballer to be paid more than £40000pa across the world. I mean, what are they going to do? It's not like they're all suddenly going to swan off and become doctors if they're underpaid; they'd just have to take it....
    That would result in thousands of jobless people, some of which are useless at anything else....

ReputationRep:
    A world without footballers = not a big deal
    A world without doctors = big deal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    A world without footballers = not a big deal
    A world without doctors = big deal
    its all very well saying that ppl can be saved by doctors but if their life is boring what is the point in living, football provides entertianment for millions

ReputationRep:
    well if you're dead, you won't be able to enjoy football

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.