The Student Room Group

Applying to American Universities (PLEASE HELP)

Hey guys :smile: I am just wondering if anyone could help me out? Basically, I am very interested in studying in the US, ( psychology), I have checked out the kind of universities I may want to apply to, but when i go onto the websites it is not clear at all for requirements, Please can someone help who is thinking to apply to similar unis or to the US please help me out? I have tried e-mailing the departments , all they say is thank you for your interest look at our international requirements , but it is not clear :frown:.My As-Level predicted grades are A-Psychology A-Maths A- Chemistry B-Biology. I hope to apply for the semester commencing September 2014, Thanks guys :smile:.

I am thinking of
Stanford University
University of California, Berkeley (UCB)
University of Michigan
Cornell University
Johns Hopkins University
Yale University
Duke University
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The universities that you're thinking of are some of the competitive ones so they would generally require AAA in your A-Levels. However American universities just don't look at your grades, they look at everything else in your application like the SATs and extracurricular activities.
Reply 2
Hey,

I applied to US colleges this year during a gap year and was l lucky enough to be accepted to University of Chicago and wait listed a Yale.

Obviously you need to sit the SATs and SAT subject tests. Check out sat.collegeboard.org. 2100+ is a decent score and with plenty of prep it's not overly difficult. There's loads of books you can get online (the ones by Barrons and the College Board are the best).

But you need to remember that they don't look at your application the same way most unis do here. They put a lot of emphasis on your extra curriculars, teacher recommendations and your essays so make sure they're good.

I terms of finance, a lot of colleges such as the majority of the ivies, UChicago and Stanford as well as some more I'm sure offer need based financial aid to international students as well as merit aid. I managed to get aid to cover about 95% of my fees and living costs. Worth looking at!

Any questions, give me a shout good luck!
Reply 3
Hey dude, thanks alot!! What did you apply to do? , the SAT i have had a look at them they seem really weird, and the english bit is awful there are some words I have never even heard of, I have got good extra currics I think,

Soccer coaching badges ( as they call it soccer lol) , coaching young kids
Learning Sign language
Debate team (been in the Cambridge and manc uni comps)
Played for Keighly cougars Rugby for rugby league CO-OP championship youth team (its second division of pro rugby league)
Paired reading in school, (which is going to a primary school and working with kids)
Blue belt in BJJ
learning the ukulele ( by myself trying to watch you tube lol)

What do you mean by essays? how did you get them to cover 95% of fees and living costs :0, which unis even do that? thanks alot peter for your help so far :smile:
As an American student, I would be glad to help you out in any way you need it!

To apply to US schools, there is a Common Application (similar to UCAS) where you have to submit your personal information, your standardized test grades, the extracurriculars you've participated in, teacher recommendations, as well as one essay from the 5 options presented to you. The essay is 500 words or less.

From there, you must select the individual colleges you wish to apply to, which each have their own supplement. The supplements for the selective colleges you wish to apply to will ask that you write an additional essay or two from the questions they pose, again less than 500 words usually. Some may have you answer shorter questions in less than 25 words, 150 words, etc.

Hope that helps!
Here is a link to the Common App: https://www.commonapp.org/CommonApp/default.aspx
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by lesmis

To apply to US schools, there is a Common Application (similar to UCAS) where you have to submit your personal information, your standardized test grades, the extracurriculars you've participated in, teacher recommendations, as well as one essay from the 5 options presented to you. The essay is 500 words or less.

From there, you must select the individual colleges you wish to apply to, which each have their own supplement. The supplements for the selective colleges you wish to apply to will ask that you write an additional essay or two from the questions they pose, again less than 500 words usually. Some may have you answer shorter questions in less than 25 words, 150 words, etc.

Hope that helps!
Here is a link to the Common App: https://www.commonapp.org/CommonApp/default.aspx

How close to a 2400 would I need in the SAT for a full academic scholarship to Stanford?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I highly doubt you can get an academic scholarship at Stanford because nearly all of the students who attend have high marks. You definitely need to score over a 2100.

Also from what I've seen, Stanford is one of those schools that favors legacies (kids who have parents/grandparents who went there). Two friends of mine applied there, and the one with lower grades got in because his parents went there. The other friend was rejected and went to Duke.
Original post by Goods
How close to a 2400 would I need in the SAT for a full academic scholarship to Stanford?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also, it depends on what kind of environment you want to live in. Some schools are more sports/party centered than others, and the climate is waayyy different too.
Reply 8
Coming from outside the US your SAT scores are very important. Given the vast numbers of AAA or AAB given out US universities cant distinguish beyond this. Every uni in US has stats on SAT scores. Look for a student profile or search for <university name> common data set. The CDS is a standardized report that will show scores at 25 and 75th percentile for admitted students. It has lots of other data as well
Reply 9
Original post by lesmis

Hope that helps!

Thanks alot! :smile:, so do you study at university? I really find the SAT section in English, Is there any where i can prep myself for this?
Original post by SILHAM
Thanks alot! :smile:, so do you study at university? I really find the SAT section in English, Is there any where i can prep myself for this?

I am going to study at Northwestern University or Cambridge this fall (depending on whether or not I meet the conditions of my offer). There's another website, the College Board, that will help you with SAT practice questions and give you an idea of the test format. Prep books by companies like Barron's will help too.
Reply 11
Original post by SILHAM
Hey dude, thanks alot!! What did you apply to do? , the SAT i have had a look at them they seem really weird, and the english bit is awful there are some words I have never even heard of, I have got good extra currics I think,

Soccer coaching badges ( as they call it soccer lol) , coaching young kids
Learning Sign language
Debate team (been in the Cambridge and manc uni comps)
Played for Keighly cougars Rugby for rugby league CO-OP championship youth team (its second division of pro rugby league)
Paired reading in school, (which is going to a primary school and working with kids)
Blue belt in BJJ
learning the ukulele ( by myself trying to watch you tube lol)

What do you mean by essays? how did you get them to cover 95% of fees and living costs :0, which unis even do that? thanks alot peter for your help so far :smile:

I only applied to three as I didn't think I'd get into any (which I now regret(. Applied to Yale, UChicago and UPenn.

Yea the SATs take time to get used to. I struggled with the English section as well but if you use the books by Barrons and the college board you should be fine. Your ECs seem good, see if you can maybe be involved in some more leadership things if possible.

As mentioned above, you have to use the Common App to apply. Each college will have a supplement on to of the standard application where they will ask you to write specific essays on questions that they pose. Those are the essays I was referring to.

Most of the ivies plus UChicago and Stanford provide need based aid for international students. However, apart from harvard and yale, admissions isn't need blind which means they take they amount of aid you'd need into account when deciding. Luckily this didn't go against me for UChicago.

Let me know if you've anymore questions :smile:
Original post by SILHAM
Hey guys :smile: I am just wondering if anyone could help me out? Basically, I am very interested in studying in the US, ( psychology), I have checked out the kind of universities I may want to apply to, but when i go onto the websites it is not clear at all for requirements, Please can someone help who is thinking to apply to similar unis or to the US please help me out? I have tried e-mailing the departments , all they say is thank you for your interest look at our international requirements , but it is not clear :frown:.My As-Level predicted grades are A-Psychology A-Maths A- Chemistry B-Biology. I hope to apply for the semester commencing September 2014, Thanks guys :smile:.

I am thinking of
Stanford University
University of California, Berkeley (UCB)
University of Michigan
Cornell University
Johns Hopkins University
Yale University
Duke University
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)

Are you independently wealthy?

A big portion of the schools you list are public schools (Berkeley, UCLA, UMich) - you'll almost certainly not get aid from the California schools and are unlikely to get it from UMich (I don't know much about the aid situation there). You'll stand a better chance of aid at the private schools, but these are some of the most competitive schools around....why not check out some well-off, slightly lower ranked private schools where your achievements might be more likely to be above average for the accepted cohort, rather than middle/lower rungs?

Your A-levels are good (assuming you get those grades) and should be fine for admission - you'll probably even get some credit/ advanced standing for them, depending on the university. Obviously, though, grades are only a small part of the admissions process in the States...your personal statement really needs to be fantastic, as does everything else.

Take a look at e.g. Emory, Vanderbilt, Tufts, BU, BC, Rice, Georgetown.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm also an American - like lesmis. He seemed to give you a pretty nice overview so I thought I would give you some dimensions on the expected SAT scored for each of the universities you are interested in

Stanford - Expected:2253 Average:2172
UCB - Expected:2183 Average:2030
Michigan - Expected:2080 Average:1992
Cornell - Expected:2060 Average:2090
Johns Hopkins - Expected:2145 Average:2090
Yale - Expected:2169 Average:2225
Duke - Expected:2089 Average:2142
UCLA - Expected:2012 Average:1940

I want to stress how important extra-curriculars are. Sports, community service, and clubs are important. Remember: US operates on a holistic learning basis, no matter what major you select, you're going to be required to take classes in subjects such as maths, biology, and psychology. A personal statement is nothing like a college essay. You don't want to flaunt and try to sell yourself in your college essay, it's more abstract and you want to include aspects about yourself that will not be found in the rest of your application. I suggest you read some samples. It should also be unique, so don't base your essay off of someone else's because more than likely the admissions officers have already read something like it if not the sample essay itself. Also if a supplement asks you why you chose to apply to their college, don't say because of the location, they are very well aware of the fact location is key especially in New England and California to the choosing process, so you should really mention the things you like about the university's programs, etc.

Message me with any questions you have!
Reply 14
What about Harvard
Reply 15
Thanks alot people for all your help, unfortuantly i am not wealthy at all, my family earn just below average pay in the UK, thank you for your help lindsay and madame :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by LindsayBouchard
I'm also an American - like lesmis. He seemed to give you a pretty nice overview so I thought I would give you some dimensions on the expected SAT scored for each of the universities you are interested in

Stanford - Expected:2253 Average:2172
UCB - Expected:2183 Average:2030
Michigan - Expected:2080 Average:1992
Cornell - Expected:2060 Average:2090
Johns Hopkins - Expected:2145 Average:2090
Yale - Expected:2169 Average:2225
Duke - Expected:2089 Average:2142
UCLA - Expected:2012 Average:1940

:lolwut:

What is your source for those figures? They seem extremely off.
Reply 17
Original post by devil09
:lolwut:

What is your source for those figures? They seem extremely off.

I think its because generally the bottom 25% of SAT scorers are generally reserved for people with hooks i.e. under represented minorities, first generation college, athletes, legacies.

If you don't have these hooks then the numbers will seem low.
Reply 18
Original post by SILHAM
Thanks alot people for all your help, unfortuantly i am not wealthy at all, my family earn just below average pay in the UK, thank you for your help lindsay and madame :smile:

If i may, how will you finance your studies in USA? I am pretty sure top 100 US universities require around 50k per year...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Over 60% of people get financial help at basically every top American universities. There are international means testing scholarships as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending