Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What Should I Choose 2 do? I chose English ahead of biology, as it would help me woth my aspirations of becoming a lawyer. However, i may want to becaome a medical engineer (or somefing like that), so Biology would help, wouldn't it?
    I have already chosen to do Law, Sociology (and I'm male!) and Chemistry.
    Help Us Out!

ReputationRep:
    Don't take Law
    Unis don't like it if u take law for A-Levels. It is considered as a rubbish subject at A-Levels. Taking it for degree level is ok, but don't take it for A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by am99q1)
    What Should I Choose 2 do? I chose English ahead of biology, as it would help me woth my aspirations of becoming a lawyer. However, i may want to becaome a medical engineer (or somefing like that), so Biology would help, wouldn't it?
    Help Us Out!
    Perhaps you might not want to take Law. You don't need to have law in order to study it at university. Sociology, Biology, English and Chemistry = keeps your options open.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, drop sociolgy for something else. Histroy or Philosphy

ReputationRep:
    Help Us Out!
    Agree with the above.
    If you're sure about law, take History - I should think it's more relevant than English, although both would be useful.
    Obviously it's hard to say, 'cause you've gotta go with what you like doing the most, but how about doing one or two essay based subjects (for law), and two sciences (you'll need more than the one)?

ReputationRep:
    Help Us Out!
    why u doing sociology? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Hmmm, drop sociolgy for something else. Histroy or Philosphy
    I was going to mention dropping Sociology but didn't feel brave enough to say so, having already advised the person to drop Law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    I was going to mention dropping Sociology but didn't feel brave enough to say so, having already advised the person to drop Law.
    Law at A-level isnt taken seriously by unis looking for law applicants to my knowledge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    Law at A-level isnt taken seriously by unis looking for law applicants to my knowledge
    Law admission guy at Downing College Cambridge said that he thought Law was a perfectly fine A Level to have.

ReputationRep:
    Help Us Out!

Could you do engineering without maths or physics?

ReputationRep:
    I always wanted to do Law at University, and now I'm going to start Durham in October. I do Law at A-Level, and I really enjoy it. Don't listen to all these people who say that you shouldn't do Law - no Uni has ever told me that it hinders you (even Cambridge said it was OK to have it). It actually helps you in the first year, so I'm told.
    I also did Psychology and English Lit. I did History at AS-Level and absolutely hated it. It really doesn't help with Law at all, as the Unis I applied to all let me in without it at A-Level.
    Trust me - Law is great at A-Level (try to get the Welsh exam board [WJEC] though - the others are fiendishly difficult).

ReputationRep:
    Lol I do Law for AS-Level, and I CANT STAND IT! I think it's 'cause we have to write essays often, and I'm not a long writer sort of person. Plus I really don't understand Law, I'm dreading taking my AS in it! I do it with WJEC, do you do it over video conference? Its funny hehee...I personally think this person should do whatever he wants its all very well to say oh yes, do two sciences, and two essay based a levels, but this guy should really stick with what he has chosen, as that is his first choice, and prob what he would enjoy most. I think Law would be quite a useful A-level to have, as at least then you might have a slight comprehension of what's going on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dill)
    Lol I do Law for AS-Level, and I CANT STAND IT! I think it's 'cause we have to write essays often, and I'm not a long writer sort of person. Plus I really don't understand Law, I'm dreading taking my AS in it!
    It really does come together in the end. It took me so long to get used to it - I was getting crap grades in the first few months, but then something clicked and it all ended up fine. Don't worry - the same will happen with you. WJEC is the easiest of the lot, so count your lucky stars!
    I think Law would be quite a useful A-level to have, as at least then you might have a slight comprehension of what's going on!
    It's true - you do understand more. For example, when I was at the Durham Law seminar on Tuesday, they were talking about the defence of consent, and I'm doing that right now on my A2 syllabus, so I think that certain parts of it can be helpful. By the way, no I don't do it by video conference - we have a law department at our sixth-form college.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.