The Student Room Group

Ocr (not MEI) Fp1 10th June 2013

Anyone taking this ?

Scroll to see replies

I am. Along with FP3 on the same day. Do you, or anybody else, know how to do Jan '13 Q4 (for FP1). The MS is completely incomprehensible. I hope I said that right... :biggrin: Yeah, anyway, I get (1/4)(k/4 + 3)
Reply 2
I dont have the jan13 question paper, if u can send me it then i might be able to help out
Reply 3
Not too much discussion here. Not a lot of people taking this exam?
im taking it....my last exam!! how are you guys revising for FP1? just past papers? how many years back do you guys do them for?
Reply 5
Original post by Kitnimohabbathai
im taking it....my last exam!! how are you guys revising for FP1? just past papers? how many years back do you guys do them for?

Just past papers, I did the written revision a while ago. And I started 6 years ago for this :wink:

I'm doing all the past papers back to about 2007 and more if I can find them probably
Reply 7
I do all the papers from 2005, you could find them on xtremepapers
guys soo worried about this going through the book and ive forgotten my basics :frown:
guys soo worried about this going through the book and ive forgotten my basics :frown:

There's still time, watch youtube tutorials on the harder topics like induction so you can do that. Argand diagrams are worth covering in detail too, that's what I'm focusing on this evening
Reply 10
Original post by TheOncomingStorm
There's still time, watch youtube tutorials on the harder topics like induction so you can do that. Argand diagrams are worth covering in detail too, that's what I'm focusing on this evening

I think I need to go over some matrices rules as well and learn those shear matrices. Other than that I tend to lose silly marks to arithmetical error...
if any of you guys have the fp1 book could you tell me how to do question 3 in exercise 5B on page 72. Its a transformation question....just wondering where the enlargement by scale factor 5 came from....I've got a anticlockwise rotation by 53.1 degrees by using the unit square but don't understand how to work out the other transformation....maybe it'll be easier if I just write out the matrix as that's all you need...its (3,-4 . 4,3)Generally need help on working out successive transformations.....

don't you reckon the book is any good? was thinking of going through it but its taking up soo much time...still haven't started past papers :frown:
Reply 13
Hi guys,
Does anyone know how to do those summation questions where r=N+1 up to infinity? There's one on June 12 Q8iii, and I think there may have been one January of that year too. We have never covered this at college and the mark scheme is pretty useless :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by liamdb
Hi guys,
Does anyone know how to do those summation questions where r=N+1 up to infinity? There's one on June 12 Q8iii, and I think there may have been one January of that year too. We have never covered this at college and the mark scheme is pretty useless :smile:

you have to do the 'sum from 1 to infinity' minus 'sum from 1 to n'

so for that question, the sum from 1 to infinity is: 3/2
and then subtract you part (ii) which was the sum from 1 to n: 3/2 - (2n+3/(n+1)(n+2))

so you get:: 3/2 - ( 3/2 - (2n+3/(n+1)(n+2)) ) = 11/30

and then just solve like a normal equation to find n!!
Reply 15
does anyone know how to do the proof by induction (question 5) on june 2012? i can seem to get to the answer they want :frown:
Reply 16
Original post by hoover95
you have to do the 'sum from 1 to infinity' minus 'sum from 1 to n'

so for that question, the sum from 1 to infinity is: 3/2
and then subtract you part (ii) which was the sum from 1 to n: 3/2 - (2n+3/(n+1)(n+2))

so you get:: 3/2 - ( 3/2 - (2n+3/(n+1)(n+2)) ) = 11/30

and then just solve like a normal equation to find n!!

Thank you!!
don't you reckon the book is any good? was thinking of going through it but its taking up soo much time...still haven't started past papers :frown:

I found the book useful, but then my teacher was a little on the useless side so I had to rely on the book more than I should really. I'd use the book to begin with but focus on past papers to practice answering the questions the way the mark schemes want you to
I found the book useful, but then my teacher was a little on the useless side so I had to rely on the book more than I should really. I'd use the book to begin with but focus on past papers to practice answering the questions the way the mark schemes want you to

yeah still haven't started past papers yet :/ btw can anyone help me with this roots of polynomial question: (alpha minus beta) squared for the equation x2-4x+2=0?? also things like 1/alpha +1/beta? and 1/alpha squared + 1/beta squared ??
Reply 19

I've been reading through the text book (the ocr cambridge one), answering questions in it, and it's got me a little confused. For instance, during lessons when going over solving simultaneous equations, we looked over 2 equations & 2 unknowns, 3 equations & 3 unknowns, and then obviously whether or not there is a unique solution, or no solution/infinite solutions. In the text book, there are question involving 2 equations and 3 unknowns, solving in terms of k, etc. I've been getting the correct answers, but I've never come across anything like this in a past paper. I've noticed that in most subjects, the text books supplied by the exam board tend to over-complicate things. I think that perhaps doing past papers would be a better way of revising, giving you a better idea of what kind of questions to expect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending