The Student Room Group

Quick question about exams and marking

I was told by my teacher who was told by another teacher who is a senior marker that if you are not sure about a question you can leave 2/3 solutions/attempts and the examiner has to only mark the correct one and ignore the others, I was just wondering how true is this? Because people could just write 2/3 different methods and answers for a question and the correct one only will be marked? Thank you :biggrin:
This is true at least for CCEA, so I'm sure that its the same for other boards!
Reply 2
H--
OP
Original post by cestlavie10
This is true at least for CCEA, so I'm sure that its the same for other boards!

Aah right, I'm not too sure about Edexcel hoping someone knows
Reply 3
I got another question, after the exam finishes my school ensure that all papers are collected in the right order alphabetically. So e.g. would all english exams go to one examiner and would they mark it alphabetically as well?
Reply 4
H--
OP
Original post by geor
For Edexcel, they will mark all the attempts and the highest scoring will be the one that counts!

Thanks! I also emailed them and they said sort of the same thing :smile:
Original post by H--
Thanks! I also emailed them and they said sort of the same thing :smile:

This is totally and utterly untrue.

Your last full attempt will be the one that is marked. Please do not make multiple attempts at questions as you could disadvantage yourself.
Original post by H--
I was told by my teacher who was told by another teacher who is a senior marker that if you are not sure about a question you can leave 2/3 solutions/attempts and the examiner has to only mark the correct one and ignore the others, I was just wondering how true is this? Because people could just write 2/3 different methods and answers for a question and the correct one only will be marked? Thank you :biggrin:

Original post by Mr M
This is totally and utterly untrue.

Your last full attempt will be the one that is marked. Please do not make multiple attempts at questions as you could disadvantage yourself.

From the mark scheme for Edexcel's January 2013 M1 paper (available from the Edexcel website):

6. If a candidate makes more than one attempt at any question:
If all but one attempt is crossed out, mark the attempt which is
NOT crossed out.
If either all attempts are crossed out or none are crossed out, mark
all the attempts and score the highest single attempt.

This is also the case for CIE A level papers.

It is not true for GCSE exams.
Original post by tiny hobbit
From the mark scheme for Edexcel's January 2013 M1 paper (available from the Edexcel website):

6. If a candidate makes more than one attempt at any question:
If all but one attempt is crossed out, mark the attempt which is
NOT crossed out.
If either all attempts are crossed out or none are crossed out, mark
all the attempts and score the highest single attempt.

This is also the case for CIE A level papers.

It is not true for GCSE exams.

How appalling. I examine for OCR and assumed that our procedure (to mark the final attempt) was adopted by all. I really don't like the idea of rewarding sloppy thinkers and chancers.
Original post by geor
It says this on the Jan 2013 mark schemes! :s-smilie:

So I have just been told.
OCR Instructions

Rules for replaced work

If a candidate attempts a question more than once, and indicates which attempt he/she wishes to be marked, then examiners should do as the candidate requests.

If there are two or more attempts at a question which have not been crossed out, examiners should mark what appears to be the last (complete) attempt and ignore the others.
Reply 10
I wonder if MEI is the same?

I think these sort of things should be consistent with exam boards, possibly even for subjects.

In physics, If I contradict myself in an explain answer, even if one of the parts was correct, you get no marks. AFAIK anyway.
Original post by dada55
I wonder if MEI is the same?

OCR MEI examiners are trained at the same time and in the same building as OCR examiners so I would expect the answer to be yes. There certainly ought to be consistency between Awarding Bodies.
Original post by Mr M
OCR MEI examiners are trained at the same time and in the same building as OCR examiners so I would expect the answer to be yes. There certainly ought to be consistency between Awarding Bodies.

So its curious that CIE, also part of Cambridge Assessment, give the instruction
"If two solutions are offered, please allow marks for the better solution",
(they're very polite at CIE).

The fact that OCR have a different ruling could explain why a few experienced examiners at yesterday's CIE meeting seemed surprised when this part of the instructions was used on a photocopied answer, since many of them also mark for OCR.
Original post by tiny hobbit
So its curious that CIE, also part of Cambridge Assessment, give the instruction
"If two solutions are offered, please allow marks for the better solution",
(they're very polite at CIE).

The fact that OCR have a different ruling could explain why a few experienced examiners at yesterday's CIE meeting seemed surprised when this part of the instructions was used on a photocopied answer, since many of them also mark for OCR.

Did you notice how I was more cautious this time and only said I "expect" this to be the case?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending