The Student Room Group

Welsh A2 Exam (A level)

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys!
I've just finished my AS exams and not sure how they went before you ask...haha!
I'm insure whether to continue welsh next year or not...so could you possibly give my some info on what the a2 course involves etc..
Thanks in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Beths_7
I've found A2 quite a bit harder this year, and (I hate to say it) less enjoyable too. Maybe that's because all my welsh lessons have been after school though.. :'(

Basically there's three modules.

CA4 is basically the same as CA1, but this year it's on the play Siwan instead of Hedd Wyn.

There's no coursework module in A2 either, which I know a lot of people didn't like as it really boosted my grade in AS!

Instead there's two written papers. CA5 is short stories, so you have to write about the content and style of one of four stories. The second part is trawsieithu, which basically you get an article in English and have to write in welsh about the same theme. (Eg binge drinking, sunburn, university etc)

That's the hardest module in my opinion, as I don't really like any of the short stories and I find trawsieithu hard.

Then CA6 is the last paper, which is grammar and poetry. Basically the same as CA3 in AS, apart from obviously it's harder grammar, and the poetry question is unseen, so no slaving away hours on the same poems!

All in all its your decision. If on results day you didn't get the grade you want, then I wouldn't advise you kept going as obviously it gets harder. But if you've enjoyed it and get the grade you want then definitely keep going! You can always go on the wjec website and look up the short stories etc and see if you think you'd enjoy it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I'm undecided between dropping french or welsh at the moment....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
has anyone else just revised yr ymwelydd?
im scared that another story is going to come up...if it does i will literally fail the exam :frown:
good luck for everyone!:smile:
Original post by Beths_7
Ah good luck! What are you going to study? I'm year 12 so no uni woes atm, just aiming for an A haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Religious and Theological studies :-) I'm Cardiff
I do get the option of doing welsh with it... but i'll see how it goes haha! :-)
aah nice! I have plenty of work typed up including a whole grammar booklet if you ever want it :-)
Original post by ksully
has anyone else just revised yr ymwelydd?
im scared that another story is going to come up...if it does i will literally fail the exam :frown:
good luck for everyone!:smile:

I've literally only looked at that too! fingers crossed we're right or we are screwed haha! Do you need to get specific grades to get into uni?
Reply 25
Original post by kelseyclarke
I've literally only looked at that too! fingers crossed we're right or we are screwed haha! Do you need to get specific grades to get into uni?

i know! im just praying that it'll come up,
yeah i need 3 B's for uni but i had an A last year so i would like an A this year but i find the course much harder this year! so i dont know, fingers crossed though aha :smile:
Original post by ksully
i know! im just praying that it'll come up,
yeah i need 3 B's for uni but i had an A last year so i would like an A this year but i find the course much harder this year! so i dont know, fingers crossed though aha :smile:

Good Luck! It's nice to know you can afford to drop though :-) We snuck a look at our speaking grades so we know them so I know I can get Es to get a C but I want to do as best I can like :-)
Let me know how you find it
Reply 27
i know! i was so happy when i saw yr ymwelydd!!
i thought it went okay actually!
i thought the trawsiethu article was a bit hard to have much a response on really, and there were way too many figures haha
how did you find it? :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Beths_7
How did it go for you guys? Yr ymwelydd came up so I'm happy! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I totally agree with the person below, the trawsieithu was a bit ambivalent, there wasn't much of a "problem" so I was a bit stuck, but otherwise I think it was ok!

The cynnwys for Yr Ymwelydd was good because I'd proactised that yesterday... I know I was a bit less careful with the arddull though :\ I'm also worried because I didn't have a lot of time to check over my answers and I know that all the grammar and stuff makes a big difference.

Was anyone else put off by the fact the cynnwys questionw as actually "describe his experiences in the hospital and in the club" and not the usual "describe the main events in the story"... I could be wrong, but I was a bit worried about avoiding talking about the car etc...

Ah well, no point worrying about it now! Hope everyone else found it good!
Reply 29
MOVING ON, Ideas for the synoptic question???????
Original post by eleano
I totally agree with the person below, the trawsieithu was a bit ambivalent, there wasn't much of a "problem" so I was a bit stuck, but otherwise I think it was ok!

The cynnwys for Yr Ymwelydd was good because I'd proactised that yesterday... I know I was a bit less careful with the arddull though :\ I'm also worried because I didn't have a lot of time to check over my answers and I know that all the grammar and stuff makes a big difference.

Was anyone else put off by the fact the cynnwys questionw as actually "describe his experiences in the hospital and in the club" and not the usual "describe the main events in the story"... I could be wrong, but I was a bit worried about avoiding talking about the car etc...

Ah well, no point worrying about it now! Hope everyone else found it good!

Everyone I've spoken to has found the trawsiaethu the same so I don't think it'll go massively against us. It was a weird one I thought.
The arddull bit they chose had hardly anything to write about other than trafodiaith and deialog and chwarae rol.
Yeah the cynnwys question was worded slightly different but those are the main events really, because the car journey connects the two :-) I still spoke about the car in mine. You'll be fine :-) onto CA6 now! I think it'll be the cymreictod synoptig, any thoughts?
Reply 31
yeah i think cymru will probably come up but also maybe diffyg cariad?
i find the cynnwys of the unseen poem the hardest though cause i usually have no clue what is going on in the poem,haha!
Reply 32
I really really wish I'd found this thread earlier! I think today went really well because yr ymwelydd came up and tat was literally the only one I knew! :smile: the trawsieuthu I think I maybe did better in because I hadn't revised it at all so hasn't spent time learning all the negative sentences but I'm fluent welsh so I guess that's kind of an advantage! How's everyone feeling about grammar? I really really struggle with it and have no clue on how to revise for it so if anyone could help that would e brilliant!! I also think Cymru will come up in the synoptic and I think we have loads to write about that!!! Hope today went well for you all?!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Yeah you're all right, Cymru looks likely. In that case, how would you tackle answering that question?
I can definitely think of some welsh-language things that show responsibility and love, but in my opinion, the idea of welshness is the fact they've used the welsh language! Would we all be able to brainstorm ideas and things that we could write for cymreictod? Also does anyone have any ideas for sub-themes?
Reply 34
I think Siwan and Hedd Wyn will be the leading ones, also the poem glas and the story yr ymwelydd! Then you've got diwrnod y gem genedlaethol as well so there's plenty to write about:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
I am so worried about how much extra I have to prepare for CA6, I cannot believe how soon it is!
Original post by eleano
I am so worried about how much extra I have to prepare for CA6, I cannot believe how soon it is!

I've done so little for it! I have zero motivation :-/ I'm just looking over my grammar now for today, then i'll do synoptics tomorrow
Reply 37
This is a bit urgent,
Does anyone have any sort of list of barddoniaeth geirfa? Any useful terms?
Also any essay plan resources?
How do you usually tackle the poetry questions???
Also I've never written a synoptic essay before, so I have had no useful advice. Is there anything to remember to include (e.g. personal opinions, criticism, comparison to other literature) or do we literally just needf to explain where each theme comes up?

THANKS xxxxxxx7

(good luck everyone)
Reply 38
i haven't even looked at CA6 properly yet sorry :frown:
i have my psychology exam at 9 tomorrow so straight after that im going to have to quickly revise welsh :frown:
sorry i cant be of any help x
Reply 39
Original post by ksully
i haven't even looked at CA6 properly yet sorry :frown:
i have my psychology exam at 9 tomorrow so straight after that im going to have to quickly revise welsh :frown:
sorry i cant be of any help x

Aw that's fine! Thanks anyway, I think I'll muddle through
I think in general, is it fair to say we've all got a better chance of doing better in CA5 than CA6 haha

Good luck in Psychology! It must be horrible having 2 exams in one day xxxxxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending