The Student Room Group

Mature student with Alcohol problem...

Hello people. I have been given an unconditional offer to study English at Goldsmiths. I very exited and snapped this offer straight away.

But something is playing on my mind. I am a huge problem drinker and was kicked out of university 3 years ago for drinking. When I am drunk I pass out, get arrested, have huge black outs where I can loose forget a whole 48 hours which is terrifying. I use to go on benders that lasted three to four days and during that time I would drink in the morning.

Now the good news is that I have not touched a drop alcohol for 6 months and feel great for it. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for avoiding the drink culture at university and if any other students out there have a similar problem with drugs or drink. Any advice would be appreciated. I want to make this opportunity work.

ps, I am not just some idiot making out he has a drink problem, I use to experience withdrawal on a regular basis.
Original post by KavanaghLondon
Hello people. I have been given an unconditional offer to study English at Goldsmiths. I very exited and snapped this offer straight away.

But something is playing on my mind. I am a huge problem drinker and was kicked out of university 3 years ago for drinking. When I am drunk I pass out, get arrested, have huge black outs where I can loose forget a whole 48 hours which is terrifying. I use to go on benders that lasted three to four days and during that time I would drink in the morning.

Now the good news is that I have not touched a drop alcohol for 6 months and feel great for it. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for avoiding the drink culture at university and if any other students out there have a similar problem with drugs or drink. Any advice would be appreciated. I want to make this opportunity work.

ps, I am not just some idiot making out he has a drink problem, I use to experience withdrawal on a regular basis.

Contrary to what's popularly written about uni life/student life - not all students drink or drink to excess. There are so many different types of people at uni and tons of societies. You can stay sober and not tempted to drink if you mix with the right kind of people. You could still make friends with people who like the clubbing/partying side of uni life but it'd be a bad move to actually go out with them - just hang out with them in the day time. If people ask you why you don't want to go out to a bar or something then be open and say you have a problem - people are much less likely to encourage you when they know why! It sounds like at the moment you are still dealing with your alcohol issue so I really don't think it's a great idea to go on a night out with student and try to just drink orange juice all night - it's just too risky for you at this point.
Congrats on staying clean for 6 months - that's a huge step. Just find the right kind of people to hang out with at uni and don't feel pressured to drink just to fit in - it's not worth it.
Thank you for the advice. I must admit I was actually really scared of going there and ending up passed out in a ditch and having quit my course but your message had actually given me hope.

Suppose it's just a case of joining my societies (use to enjoy athletics so that's worth a try) and I think you're right about not risking it by going out to a club.

Thank you for being understanding and not judging me like many would :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest